Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Fainting is affecting my life...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fainting is affecting my life...
O_maroda_O
Neophyte
Member # 38574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O_maroda_O     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, it's me again [Smile]

Throughout my life, i have had fainting attacks. Not all the time, but the way they happen now are driving me crazy.

The first one was when i was about 4, after a blood test. Second time i was in a nightclub on holiday. Third time was another blood test.

The fourth time was when i was 14/15, and this is when they started to become a real issue for me. It was during a biology lesson, and my class was cutting up eyeballs. It was however quite hot in there, so i can blame that. However, when i came round, i realised i had... well... urinated. I also felt extremely sick, and had to be taken home in a wheel chair.

The same thing happened about a year later, this time i just slipped down my stairs. I only missed a few and grazed my hand, but the same thing happened. But this time, i was also violently sick.

I went to the doctors about it, and they checked my blood pressure. It was apparantly low. They said they'd take a blood sample next time i came to check if i had anemia.

Well, i had the blood test. It was fine whilst having it. 5 mins after though, it happened all over again. As well as being sick.

That was about a year ago, and ever since i've had a kinda fear of the doctors. But, well, today, i went again, as i wanted to go on the contraceptive pill. I made myself go, as i knew they wouldn't give me a blood test. Just a blood pressure test, which i'd had a year previously and was fine.

Well, as soon as i entered the doctors surgery, my belly hurt. In the waiting room, it just throbbed. I kept telling myself i was being silly. Well, i went in, and the woman was really nice. She gave me the blood pressure test, and i really hate the feeling, but it was okay. I still felt really sick though.

I was talking to her afterwards for about 5 minutes about which pill i should try, then suddenly, the light headedness crept on, and i fainted again. Belly killed. Luckily, i wasn't sick this time, although i nearly was. I was sitting on the doctors toilet floor for 15 minutes as i felt too sick to stand up.

I'm just really terrified. I can't go through life unable to go to the doctors!! But i hate the feeling i get. I don't know if i'm even gonna take the pill now, as i know i'll have to go back and have another faiting attack. But then, part of me feels like i should definitely do so, as the more i'm subjected to my fear, then i'll get used to it.

They reccommended me to a hospital once, but i didn't go as i was scared they'd give me another blood test.

Posts: 14 | From: england | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given this has kept happening when you are in medical care, I'm not sure I understand why they have not investigated the matter fully while you were right there?

You also will want to find out what this is probably before you start the pill, since some issues which cause fainting or seizures make it not a great idea to use some hormonal contraceptives.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O_maroda_O
Neophyte
Member # 38574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O_maroda_O     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the doctors surgery i go to has like allocated time slots. I was there about the pill. After i fainted, the doctor did tell me what she thought was wrong with me, but we couldn't dwell on it, as she was on a schedual and other people were waiting to be seen.

She said something about a nerve in the back of your neck, which is the cause.

Thank you for telling me that. I don't want to make myself more ill, lol.

Posts: 14 | From: england | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still surprised she didn't get you a referral to see another doctor about it, given your history of this.

I'd suggest you perhaps call in to her and ask for one so you can really get looked at and hopefully get some answers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a note, most probably your doctor was talking about the vagus nerve. Your faiting attacks, from what you described here, especially given the situations that triggers those attacks (stress, fear) as well as the warning signs you get right before your loss of consciousness occurs, looks a lot like they could simply be vasovagal syncopes.

[ 06-13-2008, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O_maroda_O
Neophyte
Member # 38574

Thank you Heather, i think i will. I can't live with this happening everytime i go to the doctors.

quote:
Just as a note, most probably your doctor was talking about the vagus nerve. Your faiting attacks, from what you described here, especially given the situations that triggers those attacks (stress, fear) as well as the warning signs you get right before your loss of consciousness occurs, looks a lot like they could simply be vasovagal syncopes.

I think that's what she said. Is it bad? Curable?
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also experienced many episodes like you, and was told that I have vaso-vagal reactions... That has to do with the vagus nerve.
For instance, I pass out when I go to the eye doctor, and I used to pass out when I gave blood, but not anymore.

So far as I know it can be hereditary- my dad passes out at EVERYTHING, and my sister also passes out when she gives blood.

I don't think it's "curable" persay, but IF it's bad enough it can be treated with Beta-blockers. Usually though, your doctor will just talk out ways you can avoid things that make you faint. For instance, you seem to faint with medical things, so the doctor wouldn't neccesarily say avoid them, but talk over ways that you wouldn't be so stressed or to get around the fainting.
For instance, they have my sister lay down on a bed whenever she gives blood- this keeps her from fainting.

When I feel that I'm going to pass out at the eye doctor, they also lay me down, it usually helps, though I've fainted many times at the eye doctor and the ENT doctor- so they have it in my chart that I need to be in a room with a bed when I'm getting checked out so I can lay down.

Anywho, here's a link that may help you to understand it...

http://mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-syncope/DS00806

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too suffer from the issue with the vasovagal nerve. Right pain, it is. So I simply warn my doctor or attending nurse when I know I'll be in a situation that will probably cause me to faint. Like blood draws. Guaranteed knocked out for me. For me, the trick is to lay down until I feel the "aura" go away. It can take up to half an hour for that to happen. So if you know what triggers it and can prepare for it, it makes dealing with it a great deal easier.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.