Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » do we need to go to the ER?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do we need to go to the ER?
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my boyfriend called me over earlier and he had a fever of 100.5, he thought it was just a virus though, but he told me he hasn't really eaten in a few days...
But, I just went back over to check on him and he has a fever of 103- even though he's been taking tylenol all day, he says his throat burns, and he has a red rash all over his neck and his cheeks are bright pink. His parents are out of town and he doesn't want to go to the hospital but I think he needs to go. I called his parents but they didn't answer so I left them a message that he was sick.
I brought him soup, but he won't eat it, I brought him icecream but he won't eat it, I've only been able to get him to drink a few sips of sprite, he says it hurts his throat, and he told me he hasn't peed all day, which means he's probably dehydrated- He said he's only had a can of sprite today.
And he's really weak, when he stands up he starts shaking...

Do I need to take him to the doctor? He doesn't wanna go, but if I insist he'll do it just to make me stop worrying... And I'm really worried... I know that fever with a rash are never a good sign, and whatever he has I'm likely to get since we were making out yesterday, but if it's nothing (which I don't think it is!), I'll feel bad making him wait in the ER all night...

Any response would be helpful...

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often has he been taking the Tylenol? You have to be careful with analgesics and not overtake them: with a rash, I've always got my eye out for an allergic reaction to something, like a medication.

But it may just be due to the fever. he needs to eat something real (not ice cream) and he needs to push real fluids, not soda. It may hurt his throat, but he needs to do it, both to make his fever go down, and to help him get better. His feeling so weak is likely due to the fever and not eating or drinking.

If he does that basic self-care (and he doesn't need you or anyone to eat and drink) over the next few hours, you may see a marked improvement, and I'd suggest that before going to the ER where people wait with broken limbs and the like.

But if even after doing that he doesn't improve decently by morning, or he just refuses to do any of that, then he may need to see a doctor, though going to a general clinic or GP is probably just fine. The ER sounds a bit much to me, especially when it's likely a lot of this is due to him just not feeding or watering himself properly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to take him to the hospital, which they ended up putting him right in because they didn't want someone sitting with a possibly contagious rash...

Before that though, I managed to get him to eat a few bowls of soup but then he started throwing up to the point where it was like he was just throwing up bile, and his fever was going up. He couldn't even get to the car himself, I had to call a friend to help me because he was too weak and I couldnt carry him. I had to dress him and everything while he was crying, I felt so bad...

He's in the hospital now, I just came home to get my laptop because I'm going to stay with him tonight. He just started to wake up more. They said it's caused by a bad case of strep, I don't really understand, but they said they wanted to keep him overnight to give him IV antibiotics and to rehydrate him. He was really not fully conscious for awhile. THey put a tube down his nose to help him get nutrients-they took it out before he perked up- but he didn't even flinch when they put it down, he was just crying.

HIs parents are trying to come back as soon as they can. I mean, I can take care of him when he gets home but I think his parents should be there.

They also gave me antibiotics in case I get strep.

I don't understand how this happened... I don't even know what it is! I don't get it... is it like, some sort of staph infection? It's not like he has an open wound or anything. I just hope he can come home tomorrow.
Anyways, I have to get back.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, strep throat can present itself in the way your boyfriend's has- with a sore throat, high fever, vomiting, and a rash. Strep throat can be passed through close contact with someone who has it, so you're definately at risk of getting it, unfortunately. It's really important to keep yourself healthy now, eat well, get lots of rest, drink lots of water etc, so that your body can fight it off better if you do get it. And wash your hands or sanitize them every chance you get! Hospitals are hotbeds for catching infections of all kinds, so it's very, very important to wash your hands a lot.

(Strep really doesn't have anything to do with staph infections- it's caused by a different bacteria. Google "strep throat" and you should find plenty of information on it! [Smile] )

[ 06-09-2008, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Ok, I've just never seen strep present itself in that way.
He's still in the hospital- he hasn't eaten anything on his own yet, so I think theyre waiting for him to feel well enough to eat. He's also still really weak.
I don't understand how it got so bad so fast...

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend end up in hospital with strep throat, though hers was because she refused to see a doctor about it and she developed complications with her kidneys. It usually just presents itself as a sore throat/fluish sorta deal, but like all illnesses, it can take a different path sometimes.

He'll be okay though- I know it's scary when someone you love is in the hospital, but they'll take good care of him, and I'm sure he'll be right as rain in a little while. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Yeah, I'm just really worried about him. He sent me home today because he said I was making him too nervous, but I guess that's a good sign that he's feeling well enough to kick me out.

I'm just worried because his family's not here or anything, and he never gets sick. I mean, I really don't think I've ever seen him sick beyond a mild cold...

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Well, I have strep now, but it's not bad or anything and I have antibiotics.
My boyfriend is coming home tomorrow morning. He ate tonight and kept it down, so that's definitely good. His older brothers are going to stay with him at night until his parents come home, and I'll probably take care of him during the day. He's still very weak, which is scary, but they said its probably from the fever and also just that being sick like that is very tiring.
And, I made soft food for him, cuz his brothers aren't really so mothering, so he'll have food for the next few days that'll be easy on his throat.
I just hope he gets better soon.

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Just wanted to add that my boyfriends home and feeling a lot better- better enough at least to want to fool around, though I told him we couldn't until I'm strep-free.
But I'm just relieved that he's okay, and now he gets to take care of me, haha... (He brought me soup- the soup I put in his refrigerator for him- so really I made myself soup...)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.