Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Exercise follies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise follies
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like everytime I exercise, but only usually only when I've worked up a sweat, that my stomach gets very bloated. Is this something I should be concerned about?

If this information helps any: I do drink plenty of water and take breaks. I have pretty bad asthma that has recently been brought more under control. My stomach still acts the same whether I take my puffer or not.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding (I have no medical training, just high school biology) is that when you exercise, the hormones produced slow/stop your digestion. This can cause bloating, and the bloating should go away within a few hours after exercising. Changing when you eat in relation to when you exercise should help, if you can arrange it so that your stomach/intestines aren't trying to digest a meal while you exercise!
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input! Though, I've also thought of that (high school biology as well [Razz] ), and this happens no matter what time I'm doing it. However, usually I exercise around 8-9, and I eat dinner at 5ish. I thought that 3-4 hours was enough for digestion.. Any thoughts?

[ 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Bun Bun ]

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this cool animation about how and when digestion happens. I thought it was fun to play with, anyway [Smile]
For a more scientific point of view, this article, Gastrointestinal Transit has references to check out, as well as a detailed explanation of how long food takes to digest and why. A quote:
"The discussion above should help to explain why it is difficult to state with any precision how long ingesta remains in the stomach, small intestine and large intestine. Nonetheless, there have been many studies on GI transit, and the table below presents rough estimates for transit times in healthy humans following ingestion of a standard meal (i.e. solid, mixed foods).

50% of stomach contents emptied - 2.5 to 3 hours
Total emptying of the stomach - 4 to 5 hours
50% emptying of the small intestine - 2.5 to 3 hours
Transit through the colon - 30 to 40 hours

Remember that these are estimtes of average transit times, and there is a great deal of variability among individuals and in the small person at different times and after different meals. "

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.