Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » When to visit the doctor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When to visit the doctor
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to sound silly, but I just finished my first year of college and I have realized that I have no concept of when I should see a doctor. Before now, I would tell my mom "I feel this this and that" and she would say "Lets see the doctor" or "Eh, you'll be fine" and she was usually right.

But now it seems that everytime I go to the doctor they tell me theres absolutely nothing wrong with me, and the times I decide to not go to the doctor end up being some of the worst things ever.

Like now, I have a painful bump on the back of the roof of my mouth. It makes it hurt to swallow, and is a bit red and raised, but I doubt others would notice it as I do. I'm just getting over a sinus infection, so I'm assuming it has to do with that, but I just can't decide whether to go get it checked out for something possibly worse or just let it heal @.@

How do you decide what you see the doctor for?

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving out and suddenly having to do these things on your own can be a bit tricky. [Smile]

There are some doctors we should see on a regular basis for check-ups. Annual check-ups are a good idea with gyns, GPs and dentists. That'll help to make sure that nothing is being missed, and if you have any questions that you'd like an answer to but that you feel aren't terribly pressing, that's the time to bring them up.

As for other appointments, a good rule of thumb is to call the doctor when a) something hurts that shouldn't be hurting, and does so for more than a couple of days or in a way that's making it hard for you to go about your daily life, b) when you notice something new on your body that wasn't there before (rashes, hives, etc) and doesn't go away within a few days or c) when any illness that seems obvious and harmless (cold, diarrhea) doesn't go away on its own within a few days.

Overall, it's always better to be safe than sorry. And hey, doesn't it feel good to be told by a doctor that nothing is wrong with you?

So, for what you're feeling now, I'd call the doctor. If you were being treated for your sinus infection, you might even just be able to tell the nurse over the phone and ask what they suggest.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you set up annual check-ups? I've never been to a gyn, and I've only ever seen my pediatrician and the college doctors.

Man, the world is so confusing sometimes @.@

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you call the doctor and ask for an appointment. Some doctor's offices will send out reminders when it's time for your next check up, with others you'll want make a note of the date for yourself so you'll know when you're due for the next one.

If you're looking for new doctors, you can either try the random approach and just pick a name out of the phone book (it's what I did when I first moved out on my own, and it worked out just fine) or you can ask around and see if your friends or family can recommend someone to you.

And we even have a great article about getting started with gyn visits:
Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on where you live, there may be a phone service like we have here in Calgary called Nurselink- it's a 24 line you can call for free and speak to nurses, and they can definately tell you when you ought to visit a doc. It's another thing to look into if you're in a big city!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.