Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Body fat.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body fat.
pretty_vacant
Neophyte
Member # 29946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pretty_vacant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, in school, for fitness class, we had to step on one of those scales that measures your body fat and whatnot, and according to various things that I've read on the internet, I don't have enough fat.
I'm 5'4", 103 pounds, and I have 9% body fat. Apparently you need at least 12% to function properly and menstruate. I've been getting my period since I was 11 and I've never skipped one, ever. I've always been petite and somewhat muscular, considering the fact that I'm a ballet dancer.

Should I be concerned about my low body fat levels?

Posts: 23 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you are in good health, I don't that 3% difference really poses a problem. Many of us are just genetically predisposed to be a certain size, shape, height, what have you-- so this is not something I would worry about.

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'm not sure what kind of scale you were using, but measuring body fat percentages accurately is difficult. From what I remember from highschool, the most accurate way is buoyancy (floating in water).
So the % may not be spot on, anyway [Smile]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.