Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Extreme Menstrual Cramps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extreme Menstrual Cramps
xxblowpops
Neophyte
Member # 35929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxblowpops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright guys, I have a question for you.

Over the past few months I've noticed my period getting increasingly worse. First it was abnormally late (I'm normally right on time), then it was back on track, then it started to get heavier. Well, this past time I had my period (I got it Feb. 29th) I had the WORST cramps ever. I mean, I laid on a bed crying, practically thrashing, and it was REALLY heavy. I was sick, I thought I was going to throw up and it hurt for me to get up and walk around. Finally, I decided to start moving by getting up and walking around the house and I started to feel better. I don't know what was going on, but I'm due for my period in another 2 weeks or so and I'm freaking that it's going to happen again. I took some advil (or some pain medicine) and it did nothing for me.

I have noticed within the past 6-7 months that I've had something going on with my ovaries (or so I think). It's worse on my right side and it's not painful, but it's like I'll get a build up of an uncomfortable pressure.

I really don't know, do you guys have any ideas what might be going on? My mom told me she's willing to take me to a gyn, but I'm scared to go..

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm definitely no expert on this, but it seems that you should go see a GYN. And you really don't have anything to be scared of. Afterall, if your periods are that painful and you're scared of them, then the GYN can only make things better.
But it could be ovarian cysts. I've had friends with them and I've had them. They can be extremely painful. You can't ever be sure unless you go to the gynecologist though.
And if you're bleeding extremely heavily that's definitely a sign that it's time to go in.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to let us in on what you're scared of? We can probably help reassure you.

And I can assure you, a bimanual and speculum exam and pap smear will never be anything as uncomfortable as what you're describing feeling now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxblowpops
Neophyte
Member # 35929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxblowpops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll be 19 in may and I KNOW it's time to go in for an exam, especially since I've been having issues. My mom had to have surgery because she had bad cysts. I'm not sure if you can inherit them or not, but maybe thats my problem?

I honestly don't like the fact about what happens at the gyn. I know everything is professional, but I'll be so embarrassed about it and having someone dig around in there just doesn't sound pleasant.. Some people tell me it hurts, but I've already had sex, so should I be ok?

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting an exam really isn't all that bad. Be honest with the doctor, tell them it's your first time, and your nervous. It really isn't like they dig around in there at all. When I had mine the actual exam was very quick. I was crazy-nervous too, but when it was over, I felt really good I had done it.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Morgiana said, there's no digging. The whole exam only takes a few minutes, besides. Your doctor will likely spend the most time just getting your history and asking you questions.

(And yes, fibroids or ovarian cysts can sometimes run in families. But either way, seems clear something's going on in there, and you need to find out what it is so you can be treated and feel better.)

This might help: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.