Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Need help stopping myself eating badly.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help stopping myself eating badly.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is probably partly related to the fact that I have a hell of a lot of issues with food. One of the common symptoms is hypersensitivity to taste and touch, which can result in extreme pickiness, and it's attacked me with a vengeance. Okay, where to start?

When I was little, I would only alternate between two different meals. I refused to touch anything else. I did manage to spread my range a little over the years, but apparently feeding me in my early childhood was a nightmare. Unfortunately a lot of the problems I had have stuck. I eat a lot of fruit, but even the smell of most vegetables literally makes me retch. I recall once being forced to eat peas and having to wash them down with juice, like pills. (This isn't the only thing I have problems with - I can't even look at mashed potatoes without gagging. I know it's childish, but it's an automatic reaction now.) I can just about manage carrots and can cope with lettuce, but that's it. Well, I like tomatoes and cucumber, but they're technically fruit. I have the same reaction with things that have been mixed together or mashed, so I can't just conceal them in other things. This isn't something that can be "fixed" or changed in any way as far as I know, but it means it's impossible for me to eat well.

On top of that, I tend to sugar-binge. I'm weaning myself off that, but I went through ludicrous amounts of chocolate during my exams this winter. Apart from being incredibly bad for my health, it meant I had very little money left because I was blowing a lot of my spending money on sweets. (I don't have a lot of spending money anyway since I'm still in high school and currently have no job.) I'm managing to cut down on that, but I'm still eating more junk than I'd like to be.

I don't know if there's any way I can fix this, but any tips would be appreciated. Should I just eat as much as I can of the vegetables that I can bear to eat and take vitamin supplements or something? My parents say I should give up on worrying about food issues until I've finished my exams this year and have less stress and more time. Is this a good idea?

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered contacting a nutritionist? I see you're in England, and I'm not sure how the system works there, but I know in Canada you can see a nutritionist for free if your doctor refers you. A nutritionist would be able to help you come up with a balanced diet given your limitations in what you can/can't handle eating. Also, they may be able to refer you to someone to work through your limitations, if you're interested.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is a nutritionist a great idea, but I'll throw out the idea my friend had to control her constant sweet binging. She began herself on doing 3 days without sweets. The money she saved she would put in an envelope to go towards something she really wanted, whether it be a new handbag, some shoes, or a set of books, etc. She would slowly up the days by 2, and at some point she hit the 1 month mark with enough savings to pay back her parents for the money she'd spent on sweets. Not only did she cut back her sweet intake, but she also could use the savings for a positive thing that she knew she'd enjoy. She's been healthier and happier ever since. This is not to say she doesn't binge occasionally, but this method allows her to kind of "trick" her mind into such a bet with a positive outcome.

--------------------
it's better to have something to remember, than nothing to forget - frank zappa

Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.