Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Nausea + Sore Throat + Period. Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nausea + Sore Throat + Period. Help?
Rayn
Neophyte
Member # 29306

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Rayn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the topic says, I have a lot going on. Approx. the day before my school started (this past sunday)I started to feel a bit funny in the tummy region. I didn't think much of it, as I tend to feel a bit sick before something new. BUT, this time it isn't going away. I've eaten very little of anything the past few days because my stomach is so bad. I literally THINK of food and the queasiness gets worse. And yes, I mean gets worse as in it is constantly there. I went out to lunch with some VERY new people (I'm at a new school, and loving it, but this was a first impressions lunch) and I couldn't eat. I had 2 glasses of water and a few cups of tea, plus some clear broth, but no real food. I've been forcing down lightly buttered toast in the mornings, and eating very plain foods like noodles and such when I can get them down, but I'm really worried this time.

I also have a sore throat, with developed on Wednesday morning (I woke up and went OW) but it also doesn't feel like normal. It goes AWAY when I talk, but comes back when I'm not. I'm drinking orange juice and taking Vitamin C supplements, but it doesn't seem to be going away either.

And lastly, my period. It started on Wed. evening, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with these lovely problems I've been having. I've felt sick before when I've been on my period, but NEVER to this degree or extent. Before it may have been an hour or two where I just felt nauseous, but never longer than that.

So, any advice/help/clue what is going on?

Thank you!!!

--------------------
"Im not the next of them, I am the first of me..."
-First of Me, Hoobastank

Posts: 24 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, we can't really diagnose stuff over the internet. However, prolonged nausea is definately something you should pay your doctor a visit over. It could be related to your period or to your anxiety over a new school, sure, but it's best to make sure it's not something more serious.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rayn
Neophyte
Member # 29306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rayn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only problem is that my dad doesn't think I need to see a doctor... we're 90k in debt to an insurance company for my mom's medical stuff, (she died late last year) and he doesn't want to take me. He will, if I push and prod, eventually. And my other problem is that my doctor likes to dismiss everything I say that I'm concerned about in an off-hand, "I know better, you're just being paranoid." way that really makes me mad. I asked for a gyno exam and she said that I didn't need one as I'm not 18 or sexually active (both true), even though I've had my period since I was 11 and it is still a bit irregular. I asked for a thyroid test because I fit all (and I mean ALL) of the symptoms for low thyroid, but she only did the very basic test instead of the specific one my father and I requested. So, I need help finding a GOOD doctor close to me, who'll actually listen.

--------------------
"Im not the next of them, I am the first of me..."
-First of Me, Hoobastank

Posts: 24 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI? In terms of your GYN care, you can get that yourself on a sliding scale at a clinic here in Seattle. So, there's no need to be going without that care, and you don't need your general doctor to give you that exam.

In terms of finding general care, and finding a good doctor for it, are you asking about working within your insurance plan? If so, your best bet is likely to call the information number for your policy and talk to them about these issues.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.