Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » stage makeup/removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stage makeup/removal
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In May, I was in a play where I had to use some stage makeup. It wasn't that bad, just some powder, lip gloss and mascara. The problem was... I think the makeup remover killed me; it was a heavy creamy thing. Ever since then, my skin has had much more pimples than I've had in years.

I really don't like using makeup, but if I want to be an actress, chances are I'll have to use it from time to time. I just don't want to break out every time I do. Any advice?

(Oh, and on a side note... in about a year, I'd like to do a cosplay of Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Carribean... problem is, I'm not black. Is there any makeup I can use to make my skin look darker than it is? Base comes to mind, but I'd have to cover my arms, chest, back...)

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school, we used Nye stage makeup. It does come in shades you can use to darken (or lighten) your appearance.

As for makeup remover, I find gentle foaming soap to work just fine. I don't know if this product I available in Costa Rica, but I use Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear foaming face wash. Lather, let it soak into the makeup, rinse and repeat till it's gone. Then moisturize with Cetaphil.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baby oil mixed with water (shaken up in a bottle) works excellently as a makeup remover. It dissolves the toughest makeup products.

Just be sure to wash your face with soap afterwards to remove all traces of the baby oil - if left on the skin it can cause breakouts.

As for the theater makeup, I suggest you look to www.specktra.net/forum.php. It's an excellent site for cosmetics discussion and the users will be able to give you more specific advice and ideas than we might be able to.

[ 09-27-2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danceisapassion
Neophyte
Member # 37184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danceisapassion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a make-up artist, mixing baby oil and water works really well as a remover as I use it on my clients a lot.

I use a brilliant product for charles Fox whichis basically a thicker foundation and it comes in all different colours.

As for spots, itsnot the products that causes them, its how you take the products off. Make sure you use a fair amount of remover and remove it well even if you need a lot of remover to take it off. Then always cleanse, tone and moisturise the skin to keep it hydrated. this will also help teh skin to stay clean and look fresher!

I hope this will help!

Helen x

Posts: 5 | From: Essex | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.