Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Blackheads?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackheads?
smm
Neophyte
Member # 10592

Icon 10 posted      Profile for smm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so.. let me get this strait. Blackheads are those little black spots inside your pores.. like on your nose.. right?

Ok so.. i have about a billion of them on my nose.. and they are so weird. i wash my face with clerasil stuff.. and even this one stuff from avon .. and random ones that i happen to pick up.. and they never go away.. the one from avon has benzenthonium chloride in it and it seems to work best and make my face smooth where others have not.. (this stuff from avon with benz. chl. is REALLY hard to find.. but pretty much the only thing i can FEEL works very well.) others (like with salycilic acid and benz. peroxide (or whatever.) just make it less oily. and my face is super oily.. i dont have a LOT of pimples.. i get a few here and there occasionally..

but the blackheads are there. and they stay. And pretty much dont do anything.

One day i got incredibly bored and was messin around and found out that if i squeeze the skin on my nose that they 'come out' and i can wipe them away.. it leaves sort of a 'hole' (what it looks like) in my nose.. and i figure.. well maybe if i sit here and do this for all over my nose... maybe it'll be less greasy or something.

WRONG.

So i did that.. i sat there and 'squeezed' every one that i could possibly get out.. and my nose looked like it had been stabbed a billion times with a pin... but most of the blackheads were gone.

So the next day i put on my clearasil or stridex or whatever i had and i noticed my glasses kept fallin down my nose all day.. and my nose was SUPER duper greasy. greasier than it has ever been.. and i thought it'd be less greasy!

soon after that.. they just came back.. and my nose was less greasy as it previously was..

so my question is..

what the heck are blackheads for? They are only on my nose for some reason.. and they seems to make my nose less greasy? So why do people spend a long time getting rid of them if it just makes the problem worse? (or is this unique to me?)

I really dont care how i look.. pretty much at all.. so they dont bother me.. but i just find that this kind of thing is weird and doesnt really make sense.

--------------------
~Smm

Posts: 12 | From: Insanity isle | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackheads are "plugs" of dead skin cells, oil, keratin and other stuff that block your pores. They turn black because the oil and melanin (which pigments skin) darken when exposed to oxygen, I believe. They aren't really "for" anything, but squeezing out their contents won't make them go away more often than not. They probably make your nose less greasy since they're blocking sebaceous glands, and when you got out the blockages, the pores could secrete oil again, plus all the backed-up oil in your pores probably came out.

Some people simply don't like the look of them, or get really obvious looking ones, so that's why people often try to get rid of them- plus, for some people, they can lead to pretty bad acne.

If they don't bother you, it's best to leave them alone and let them take care of themselves, while continuing your normal facial care regimen. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smm, your method is not a bad one, however, there is a slight health concern with what you were doing. In and of itself, the actual popping them was fine, and as Lea said, the pent up oil is coming out. The health concern is, what do you think now happens that you have an empty pore in your face? Is it just going to remain that way? Not really. That type of hole is perfect for bacteria, and they CAN get infected, however if you apply some antibiotic cream after you pop them, you should not have a problem. On the greasy nose, if after you do that you wash your face really well with lots of soap and water, that should help clear out alot of the oil, and it may even seem to you that your nose feels less greasy. The other issue is, "minor" (small, not really noticeble) blackheads are ok... when you start to see one swell and start getting big however, it means there might be an infection starting. From what you said about your condition however, you don't have any of thoes. You'll know if that happens.

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would suggest biore facial strips...they dont hurt and take away oils and blackheads (: also, if you see a dermatologist, i would ask for the topical medicine TAZORAC.

good luck (:

--------------------
it's better to have something to remember, than nothing to forget - frank zappa

Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.