Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » What was this called?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What was this called?
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

Icon 5 posted      Profile for muisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several days ago or a week ago someone posted something about a vaginal discharge, and it was either a)normal b) an STD or something, and c) something that began with a B I think... BD? BV?
Does anyone by chance happen to know what I'm talking about?

Posts: 40 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the post you were referring to?

http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009705;p=1

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was to this post:
"Is it healthy/normal if the discharge does not have an odor, but I discharge pretty constantly, even when I don't have my period. ..In sparatic times to, sometimes twice in 5 mintues, sometimes between hours.."

but there were links to the STD infection and something else. Do you know of some kind of infection that is relative to BD/BV ? (It was something curable if that helps)

Posts: 40 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BV is shorthand for bacterial vaginosis. It is very treatable and curable, and BV sometimes is due to sexual activity with others, and other times due to different factors entirely.

What's your sitch, muisy?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just basically what that other post described: constant discharge, in heavy amounts and I think there's an odor, I mean it's not pleasant. It's nothing new, but I don't think it's normal, and I know it's not an STD or anything and I was thinking it was BV..or at least something to ask about when I eventually get to the doctors. That was definitely what I was looking for though (BV).
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discharge from BV tends to be very thin and -- though it's often hard to tell this first-person -- grayish.

It's not generally heavy or thick. How constant is constant: for how long now?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

For a long time.. about 8 something years and several times everyday.
Heather
Member # 3

8 years?

Honey, I can pretty much assure you you haven't been walking around with BV for 8 years.

If you've had the same sort of discharge for 8 years, then I'm willing to bet it's just normal vaginal discharge.

By all means, if you've a concern, ask about it during your next pelvic exam, but it's really unlikely you've had BV for eight years. if you'd had it even a quarter of that long, it'd either have resolved itself, or made you really sick by now if it didn't and spread.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about vaginal discharge, especially when in sexual contact (generally kissing and getting felt up) by your boyfriend?

thin, but a LOT of discharge. would that be just be "wet"?

--------------------
it's better to have something to remember, than nothing to forget - frank zappa

Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That's vaginal and vulval self-lubrication.

It's not only a normal part of sexual function, but without genital lubrication, any form of genital sex would be mighty uncomfortable, rather than pleasurable.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.