Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Cornucopia of Symptoms...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cornucopia of Symptoms...
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I've had a rough time health-wise in the last month or two, and despite several rounds of blood tests, urine tests, ultrasounds, etc, we're no closer to getting any answers about what's up with me.

So I'm gonna list my symptoms here in the vague hope that maybe someone else is experiencing something similar! [Smile]

Here's the list:
  • Swelling in calves, ankles, and feet
  • Erythema nodosa (firm, painful, bruisey looking lumps on my shins)
  • Gout (high uric acid levels, some uric acid crystals present in various joints, pain and stiffness in various joints)
  • Anemia
  • TONS of canker sores all over the inside of my mouth
  • Weight loss (I've lost 40 pounds since October without any change in diet/exercise)

Tests have ruled out lupus, which was originally the big suspect (phew!), but the jury is out on everything else!

Anyone experiencing something at all similar??

[Edit: another thing my doctor suggested is that this could be a result of my BC pills, but I've never heard of them affecting someone like this...]

[ 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lea.

I'll try to make some searches about it to see if I can't find anything on the subject. (even if you probably had done it already [Smile] ) I got some knowledge about some of your symptoms but they are basic stuff.

That's totally something I have big interest in (anything medical really) so really it won't take up too much of my time. [Smile] I'm glad to do it even though I think I won't be of any great help since doctors still haven't found it and they have all the exams results and are far more qualified than any first years med student I think.

But really, I'm interested in doing that search anyway so if I find anything important that might guide you I'll tell you.

[ 02-14-2007, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you'll be able to find something, cool87. Remember both of you, that just because they have "Dr." in front of their names doesn't mean they know everything. In fact, docs goof up a lot more than they want to admit. We've just been trained to blindly trust the "experts" in all things that they say.
What is your gut telling you, leabug? I'm sorry to say I've never heard of a condition such as yours, though I do occassionally get canker sores from time to time and have come to the conclusion that (for me, at least) they're caused by stress or high levels of acidity in my mouth.

If the doctors can't tell you anything, I would recommend going to a certified herbalist, a holistic practitioner, acupuncturist, etc. And see what they say. I find that people who have turned to these older paths of medicine get actual results and effective treatments in contrast to regular doctors that haven't been able to give them any answers.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, looking up symptoms on the Internet is going to help your condition much, much less than a doctor with the necessary equipment can.

I completely understand your frustration, leabug; it sounds awful to deal with. There's nothing wrong with researching on the Internet just as long as you take it all with a grain of salt, and print and bring any info that you think is relevant to your doctor's appointment to get his/her opinion. [Smile]

Nobody can say for sure what's going on, but we can offer support. Has your doc talked about ways to manage your symptoms until they do find a cause?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we've talked about managing symptoms- for the gout and anemia I'm watching my diet and water intake, as well as taking NSAIDs for the swelling and pain, and for the canker sores I've been given an antibacterial mouthwash which seems to be helping them from getting really bad; the rest, like weight loss and the bumps, just have to be "sucked up" for now. [Razz]

Luckily my doctor had all the same suspicions I had based on internet research, and we've systematically ruled out most of them... we're starting to suspect something being wrong with my digestive system, since the ultrasound I had turned up no other problems.

Actually, Gwaihir, I've wondered about seeing a naturopath- I have lots of friends who seem to have had great results, even though they've had to take gross herbal elixirs and such [Razz]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.