Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Constipation..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Constipation..
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I have been suffering from an ongoing bout of this, and as normal I am trying to increase my fibre intake, but does anyone suggest certain foods I should avoid or try to eat more of, instead of just the general "eat more fibre" ?
I will also be increasing my water intake [Smile]
any feedback is greatly appreciated, as I am in maajor discomfort [Frown]

my doctor is also aware of my situation, it's a problem I have had since birth so he isn't keen on giving me laxatives as I can build up a resistance to their effects. thanks [Smile]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you sum up your diet in general?

Like, what's breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks in an average few days?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Joey
Neophyte
Member # 32380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have suffered from this for a long while now, and i have some things worth considereing,
firsty what my Dr advised.

Avoid eating lots of one thing e.g. crisps, balance it out with fruit or part of your 5-a-day. Drinking water is vital, you dont have to go over the top and drink five litres in one sitting, spread it out over the day so its comfortable, a glass an hour you are away maybe. The Dr also advised brown rice over regular white rice, brown rice has the husks left on and is a great, tasty way of getting fibre.

The following are suggestions are things that i have found to work, or have been advised. They wont cause you any harm but the might not be as affective on you:

when you wake up try a glass or two of warm water, let the kettle boil and leave it for a bit, it dosnt need to be boiling. This helps loosen everything up. Try other things such as quinoa (spelt very wrong but this isnt school after all)
or some sort of whole wheat grain like bulgar wheat.

I dare say bakery goods wont help very much [Wink]
On the subject of bread i personally only eat granary (malted meal) bread, nothing white, although this is more of a taste thing on my part, white bread, especially in excess wont help the situation.

Something i find that dosnt help is chewy sweets like drumstick sweets or fruit pastils, but again only when taken in excess.

Just to summerise the best thing is regular water.
maybe get a large bottle, or one with a sports cap on it, and have it about the house. I find if its there ill drink it, and you dont need to go out of your way to get water. The only down side to this is that you may need to take several trips to the bathroom.

--------------------
Its not what we say that makes us who we are, its what we do.

Posts: 23 | From: England - Royaume Uni | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Joey
Neophyte
Member # 32380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention, laxatives work well... for a while but i would you do build up a resistance, i have to two forms.
i would suggest save them until you are really bad to preserve their affects.

Remember all my advice is from personal experience.
Before dramatically changing your diet, or changing medicinal intake consult your GP.

--------------------

Posts: 23 | From: England - Royaume Uni | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much Led Zep that's what I was looking for!

Heather, per my diet I always have a bowl of bran flakes with milk for my breakfast with a glass of water (which is pretty much all I drink) lunch varies a lot but thinking about it it's often very pasta-y [Embarrassed] spaghetti on toast, pasta and sauce, noodles, and on sundays I have a proper roast dinner.
For dinner, if I am hungry, I usually just have something small if I've had a big lunch, like snacky things I suppose.
I really do not have the best diet since I got sick last year, the smell of certain foods I used to love makes me feel sick and headachey etc [Frown] and I've always been a fussy girl sadly! [Frown]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi NoisyPinkBubbles, [Smile]

Bran flakes are a good start, but I'm not seeing a lot of ruffage in your diet. It's all about those dark leafy greens (for starters.) What about adding a salad to the mix? You could make dressing from olive oil, which is quite healthy and even helps you be regular. What fruits and veggies do you like? What sources of protein are you getting?

Drinking a lot of water (what about fizzy water or tea?) is really important, but, Led Zep, drinking five liters of water a day would be hazardous to most people's health! Two liters are recommended: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/shouldiworryabout/water.shtml

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I feel your pain. I get awful travel constipation, and I travel a lot, so you can imagine. :(

At the beginning of the year, my English teacher taught us a little saying that goes "fruit to go, cheese to stop." (Don't even ask how we got on this topic in the first place...) He said that if you're constipated, you should eat lots of fruits and veggies, and if you have diarrhea you should eat cheese and dairy products. My mommy always tells me to avoid bread and dairy and drink lots of fruit juice when I'm having troubles.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Joey
Neophyte
Member # 32380

Yes, five litres of water would make you into a human reservoir, the 5-a-day thing is refering to food, the UK government, has brought in a suggestion of 5 healthy things a day, e.g. one portion of fruit one glass of fruit juice etc...

And salad is always a good idea, salad with everything dont go OTT but have some in a sandwich or something else suttle so you wont notice it.

--------------------

bakingprincess
Neophyte
Member # 32285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bakingprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and it affected my digestive system. i have extreme constipation, meaning that before, i have gone without having a single bowel movement for two weeks or so.

i now take an all-natural vegetable laxative (kind of like an herb) to keep me regulated, along with drinking lots of water and trying to get some fiber into my diet. i don't think i helped any, but was just letting you know that you're not alone!

(coffee helps in the mornings! lol)

Posts: 30 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noisy: what I'm not seeing in your diet that would likely help is fruit and vegetables: I'm seeing a lot, lot of starches and carbs instead. So, I'm not shocked you're having bowel troubles.

You might start by adding some good, whole, fresh juices, as well as prune juice, apple juice, the works. ANY fruit or veg you like? Add those, big time.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of juices, I'm not sure what they have in England right now, but... there seem to be a bunch of new single-serving fruit juice drinks on the market here. A few different brands have them and they're like 2 or 2.5 servings of fruit in one bottle, consisting of juice and pulp. They're not super cheap, but I'm a big fan of this one strawberry-orange mix that's almost like dessert. I drink one of those plus some fizzy water and I feel quite refreshed, like a cheap home spa or wellness treatment...
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that might help you out, since you enjoy eating pasta so much (I do as well): whole wheat pasta. I made the switch about three years ago, and it made an incredible difference in my bowels. It tastes a wee bit different than regular pasta, but personally I love it, and I got my then boyfriend hooked on it, too. I also started eating 100% whole wheat (or whole grain) bread for my toast and sandwiches, and that helped immensely. Fruits and veggies are the best for this situation, though. [Smile]
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh thanks so much for the replies [Smile] I am DEFINATELY going to make the changes.
Even though I have a slightly odd phobia of fruit and veg, the juice drinks or maybe even certain smoothies might be a great bet. The sight, smell and texture makes my throat and stomach creep up towards my mouth (so it feels like anyway)
I've gone about three weeks without going previously, and it was hellishly painful and embarrassing, involving every kind of medication the doctors could prescribe, ending in two huge doses of those prep-meds they use for colon surgery etc [Frown]
I've also been taken to hospital by my mother when I was younger. I have never been given any nutritional advice by doctors other than "keep your fibre up" so thanks so much for the replies [Smile]

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

I looked online to try to find the brand I like for you: turns out Schwarztal brand in Germany is Hero brand in most other places in Europe. It's called Fruit 2 day: I love strawberry-orange, didn't like mango-peach and haven't tried the pineapple one yet. Here's a site with various reviews of fruit drinks; it got a mixed review but is 100% juice.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Multi_fruit_Juices_5095426_4

As people have said, just find a few things you'll like and take it from there, making little changes at first. If you're eating a lot of pasta, do you eat tomato-based sauces? Why not use real, fresh tomatoes but cook them down first so they're more saucy? Or use frozen spinach as a basis for another sauce?

Tell us how it goes! (Like what you're trying and what you're liking or not. [Wink] )

King Joey
Neophyte
Member # 32380

Tomato, spinach, basil things like that are so yummy, ill show you how to make them if you would like noisy, im being trained up for uni. Its real easy and real tasty, get some whole wheat, (brown) pasta mmm i want some now actually.

Pasta was on you are what you eat (chanel 4)
white pasta apperntly acts like sugar, and is a "compound carb"
dont hold me to that, TV said it.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.