Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Ultrasound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ultrasound
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever had to get an abdominal ultrasound and would like to share a little about their experience?

My doctor suspects I may have kidney stones or some kind of kidney disease, and I'll be getting up early in a couple of days to go to the hospital to get one.

I've read about the actual process of the ultrasound, but was wondering- is the whole process rather exploratory? For example, if I say something like "I keep getting pains here" would they check that area as well?

It's just the next step in figuring out why the heck I have gout when I'm only 21 [Eek!]

[ 02-02-2007, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I have Crohn's Disease, I get abdominal ultra sounds several times a year.

It's really not a big deal at all. It doesn't hurt (unless you're in pain already, then the pressure can make it a bit worse). You can absolutely talk to the doctor throughout and tell them where it hurts most. That's the whole point. What I like to do is have them turn the screen so I can see it, and have them explain what we're looking at.

Also, I've been told not to go to the bathroom before, as they can see better if my bladder is full. I am not sure if this applies to your issue, as well, but it couldn't hurt to ask beforehand.

If you've got any specific questions, just ask!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a couple of abdominal ultrasounds, for kidney and bladder problems. Neither one was uncomfortable at all - no pain or issues with the extra pressure.

For me, I wasn't in pain, so I couldn't point out areas that were painful specifically, but they should examine those areas for you if you can point to a spot that is causing you problems.

They may or may not let you look at the screen while they're performing the ultrasound; the technicians are not qualified to diagnose anything and when I went in for mine the sonographer mentioned that they generally aren't allowed to mention anything to the patients or let them see the screen for legal reasons.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn... it'd be neat to see what my organs look like [Razz]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vixenchic42
Neophyte
Member # 5972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vixenchic42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They let me see the screen when I went in for ruptured ovarian cysts. They also made me drink alot of water. That's really the worst part. You REALLY REALLY have to pee and they're pressing right on your bladder. But honestly, it's pretty easy as far as medical tests go. It's one of the easiest one's I've done.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one recently, after my annual. The NP thought something felt odd with my uterus, so I had an ultrasound. I got to see my ovaries and everything--it was very cool. [Smile] And everything's fine, too.

I didn't like it, personally. I was told to drink 32 ounces at least of water before hand, and not to pee. Now, I need to make it clear. I think I have a small bladder. I won't have to go, and then BAM I have to go, and I have to go now. They were running a bit late. I have never had to pee so badly in my life.

Oddly enough, I was cautioned to make sure I urinated fully when I was finally allowed to go.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange, I was told to fast for 6 hours beforehand but was never told to come with a full bladder? Considering they'll be looking at my kidneys (and potentially my bladder), do you guys think it's a good plan to go with a full bladder anyway, just in case? (I'll call on Monday when they're open to verify anyway!)

--------------------
Lea

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a kidney ultrasound, generally you don't have to drink -- I didn't have to drink for a renal ultrasound, but I did have to for a pelvic one (the bladder needs to be identifiable and distinguishable from the other organs to help out the tech).

I definitely preferred the kidney one -- I got to sit up or lie on my side for it, and I didn't desperately have to pee. [Smile]

I didn't get to watch the screen for my ultrasounds (wrong angle to see it), but when I got another type of scan (through nuclear medicine) they let me watch the screen that showed the radioactive material going through my kidneys, which was kinda like watching a very boring screensaver.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any abdominal ultrasounds but I did watch my friend get an upper GI (the barium solution looked NASTY but the screenshots of her insides were cool!) and I have a ventricular septal defect in my heart, so I go for regular echocardiograms (ultrasounds of my heart). The last time I went, they did a 3D scan which was very cool, as my aunt designed the 3D machine. The only thing that remotely sucked was they have to press the wand into you fairly firmly at times to get a clear picture.

Good luck with your examination!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.