Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » hiccup remedies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hiccup remedies?
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about the whole hold-your-breath-and-count-to-ten thing, the drinking water while standing on your head thing, and I've tried sugar cubes -- nothing seems to work aside from waiting them out, and that's getting rather frustrating lately.

Are there any other remedies? My roommate swears by carbonated drinks, but those are few and far between when I'm here with my parents, so I can't even attempt that.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poopsicle
Neophyte
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poopsicle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I always have drunk water, but a large amount of if, while holding my breath... I think the best thing to do, though, is to occupy yourself with something else in the meantime, and you'll forget about them. This usually works best for me.
Posts: 10 | From: China | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend has TERRIBLE hiccups..He gets them at least twice or three times a day so I know your frustration!
I have a strange remedy which seems to work for me, and him sometimes [Razz]
Hold your breath, hold your wrist and swallow three times. It's actually very difficult! So that might be the same as occupying your mind with something else hehehe

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, i hate hiccups. Mom tells me I hiccuped constantly in utero, and when I was a toddler i hiccuped so much she was worried that I wasn't getting enough air.

Holding my breath WHILE drinking ten swallows of water (works best out of a fountain) usually gets rid of them for me.

Of course, maybe the gasping for air afterwards makes you forget about the hiccups in the first place.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get hiccups a lot after eating because I eat too quickly (something I'm trying to work on). I find the water-while-holding-your-breath trick to be very effective. Also, if you have someone else on hand, have them hold out their index finger and then try to bring yours as close as possible to theirs without touching. This doesn't always work for me, but it does frequently enough that I give it a try before water-swallowing (because, frankly, swallowing huge gulps of water with my breath held hurts).
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JessicaErin
Neophyte
Member # 33905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JessicaErin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always told to eat a spoonfull of peanut butter, it usually works for me!
Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master_Of_Puppets
Activist
Member # 29525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Master_Of_Puppets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never used to get the hiccups much at all. Not even after eating quickly, spicy foods, soda etc, but one day last January I randomly got them...they didn't go away for three and a half hours. I have friends who can back up this story. We tried pretty much everything.

These days I get them all the time. Once every day or two. They can be loud and sometimes my ribs hurt afterwards...they seem to develop spontaneously. I find that if I get rid of them by doing anything like drinking water, holding my breath or eating sugar they just come back later on. It never fails, so I just live with it nowdays.

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unadegato
Neophyte
Member # 34668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unadegato         Edit/Delete Post 
THIS WORKS:
eat a teaspoon of peanut butter. it works every single time. and ive had hiccups up to like..four times a day, but i just eat peanut butter and they are gone.

Posts: 1 | From: NC | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silly cake
Neophyte
Member # 33977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silly cake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What works for my mum (I don't get hiccups often, luckily) is drinking water through a straw while holding your nose. I think maybe it's the sucking that helps.
Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a surefire hiccup rememdy that has NEVER failed. The problem is, you cannot use it on youself. You have to do it to other people, or you have to teach it to people so they can do it for you.

You lead the hiccuper through a guided visualization exercise for two or three minutes, and at the end, the hiccups are gone.

Here's what I usually say:
Picture yourself in a forest. (pause for a few seconds to let the hiccuper imagine a forest -- you can also say "beach" or "city" or whatever, just give a setting) There is an object at your feet. What is it? Let the hiccuper tell you what the object it and pause to let them imagine it. How big is [that object]? Ask questions that require the hiccuper to describe the object in full detail: color, size, shape, texture, scent, movement, etc. Keep going for as long as you want. Now focus on [that object]. pause for a few seconds. Now where are your hiccups?

If they followed correctly, then their hiccups will be gone at this point.

I learned this trick from my 6th grade english teacher. He hated letting us go outside for a drink of water, so if we used the hiccup excuse, he'd pull this on us. It worked.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.