Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Ummm....should I worry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ummm....should I worry
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been three days since i've seen my boyfriend, and in those three days he's been out hunting in the cold for two days, and after feeling pretty awful yesterday he went to the dorctor today and discovered he has mono. And i'm wondering what's the likely hood of me having it, and also if it could have anything with his fainting spells?
Posts: 47 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he just got diagnosed and you had close contact over three days ago, it's pretty likely you'll get it. Mono is very infectious.

So, best to take a smart approach in advance of any symptoms, and help your immune system battle it off so if you do get it, you don't wind up in bed for a couple weeks. Lots of rest, lots of fluids, healthy foods, low stresses.

If he was fainting only very recently, sure, Mono could have been part of that, but if he's had troubles with that (I recall he has) well before this, then no, it's not likely related.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im normally really healthy, so i'm hoping to fight it off, and spend as little time as possible in bed because of various events coming up...i've got to notify a few close friends that their at risk as well (sharing drinks and such) and hopefully they won't get it too... If i do have/ end up with mono, how soon would i likely show signs?
Posts: 47 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually pretty soon if you've been in contact with someone with it.

If you don't feel at all lousy in a week or two, then you've probably cleared it: the incubation period for mono is about 4 - 7 days for younger people, and 10 - 60 days for older adults.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it's been three days since i've been in contact with him, so if i clear the weekend i'm likely to be ok...right?
thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could stay in incubation for a little while. But don't stress out about it.
Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

i was reading on several medical sites over the past few days, and most of them are saying incubation takes 4 to 6 weeks at least. Also, i've been reading that you can have EBV, the viruse that causes mono as a child only only appear to have a cold, then you would be infected and carry the viruse but not continue to be at risk to recieve the illness. Also, in that case If i had had mono as a child (i would still be a carrier now) the viruse could have been re-activated( as it does at random times through out its dormancy) and i could have given it to him. And so now I'm really worried and confused, because i could have given it to him, and i'll be fine, or he could have given it to me and i'll be sick so time, or he could have given me the viruse and because i have a strongish immune system i may never get mono...
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point there really isn't anything you can do about it - if you've been exposed to it and your immune system isn't strong enough to fight it off, you'll get it, regardless of how much you worry, but if your immune system is strong enough, then you won't get it and you'll have been stressing out over nothing. Or if you stress out enough, you could make yourself sick with something else. So I would just suggest doing what you always do, trying to stay germ-free (wash hands, stay away from people who are sick, etc.), and going about life. And if symptoms do show up, then you know who gave it to you.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannie
Activist
Member # 30060

And the drama of Dannie's life continues.. I just got a call from his sister, a week and a half later he's in the hospital with not mono, but a throat infection that may require surgery, two days ago he was in the dr. and told he had a secondary bacterial infection that was causeing his throat to swell, and now this....and i'm terrified for him....i don't know if i have any real reason to be posting these other then wanting to keep you posted, and maybe i'm looking for comfort.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.