Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Aching feet and legs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aching feet and legs
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started my first day of fairly physical work, and 9 hours of it at that. From there I walk at least a total of a mile to and from the bus stops. I never thought legs/feet could hurt so badly! It really is to the point I feel like falling down after standing up, and actually shake.

I've gone to the gym about twice a week for the past year or so, so I'm used to some activity, but not this much. Is this something I'll simply get used to? I made sure to buy well-fitting work shoes with full arch support, shock absorbers and all that jazz. But all these "problem solving" inserts, support hose, etc have my head spinning.

So if you think I should tough it out, see a doctor, or can recommend some products, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lauren -
What kind of physical work do you mean specifically? What kind of terrain do you cover when you walk to and from the bus - any hills?

Running will put different stresses on your joints than walking - so it makes sense that you feel tired in a different way than at the gym.
Do you stretch your hamstrings, calves, and lower back on a regular basis? I have to stretch consistently to avoid low back and leg pain - and it makes a positive difference in posture as well, which in turn helps determine stresses on your lower body.

Are you well hydrated? That may be a culprit as well since even small levels of dehydration quicken muscle fatigue.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply, kitka.

I work at a grocery store, which means tons of standing and lots of walking around. I'm on my feet standing probably 6 hours a day, and walking for 3 when you include the commute. All of it occurs on hard surfaces; sidewalks and asphalt when walking, hard linoleum when standing.

I'm hoping I'll just get used to it, even though I feel like I'm dyin' at the end of the day.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that would do it. The hard surfaces create a lot of shock on your joints and muscles.

I think you'll be used to it after a few weeks.
I wasn't used to being on my feet all day until halfway through college, when I started working at a stable. Eventually your body learns to deal, y'know?

It probably ain't gonna be pretty but I know you'll be able to tough it out. Make sure your management gives you adequate break time. [Smile]
Taking a couple of Advil or Tylenol before or after work wouldn't be a bad idea - same goes for a hot shower or a hot foot bath to loosen up your muscles.

[ 09-30-2006, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a cashier or bagger? If so, you could suggest getting some mats to put down, to reduce the strain on your legs, if the store doesn't do that already. And definitly take the time to sit down on your breaks. It will also help if you can prop one leg up at a time while you are standing, to give it a little break. That is better for your back, as well.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.