Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » amino acids +soy dairy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: amino acids +soy dairy
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm on my quest to gradually become more and more of a real vegetarian. My biology teacher is really not educated about the subject of nutrition, so I always try to double check what he says on things like this. He said that not only is red meat the only source of amino acids (oh, salmon is not in that category), he said that if I stopped eating meat completely I would not get any more amino acids. I'd like to know if this is true or not, and if not, where do you get your amino acids from if you're a vegetarian?

Also, as a side question. To those with experience with soy milk. What does it taste like? Does it taste the same to milk? Really, I'm curious about trying this, because I don't drink too much milk. It's my least favourite dairy product, and I think I could probably eliminate it. Is there such thing as soy yogourt and/or cheese I could try too? Curiosity, mostly.

P.S: ok, just found out about soy beans for amino acids. Anything else?

[ 07-24-2006, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your biology teacher seems to be completely clueless and misinformed.

Amino acids (the building blocks for proteins) are found in all sorts of foods - red meat, white meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, soy products, beans and grains.

It's a good idea to make sure you're getting enough protein if you're a vegetarian, but as you can see from that list there are plenty of vegetarian (and vegan) protein sources.

Soy milk doesn't taste exactly like milk, but try it - you might like it. And yup, there are soy "yoghurt" and "cheese" substitutes.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find you don't like the taste of soy milk, there are other alternatives to milk - rice milk is great, and although I've never personally tried it, several people I know really like almond milk.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So beans, grains, dairy and soy products? K, sounds good [Smile]

Also, another kinda off topic question that's a bit silly. Yogourt? Yoghurt? How do I spell that? (In British English or American English).

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So beans, grains, dairy and soy products?

Give or take, depending on how you want to interpret your vegetarianism - for example, some vegetarians eat eggs.

And oops, I forgot nuts: they're great protein sources.

Yogourt? Yoghurt? How do I spell that?

"Yogurt" and "yoghurt" are the two most common spellings, I think.

And yep to what karybu said; I don't like soy milk, but I love Tiger White (which is sold in the UK and made from chufa roots, like horchata de chufa), and actually think it tastes better than dairy milk.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

quote:
And oops, I forgot nuts: they're great protein sources.
So basically anything with a significant amount of protein has amino acids? (Logic, I don't like eggs [Smile] that's why I didn't mention them).

I've definitely heard of horchata, but not of chufa...I'll have to look them up.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So basically anything with a significant amount of protein has amino acids?
Exactly. Proteins are essentially long strings of amino acids linked together, so when you ingest a protein, your body breaks it down into its component amino acids, and uses those amino acids. Make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people say that soy milk has a bitter taste but it really depends on the brand of soy milk you drink. And you get used to it eventually.

At first, I didn't like soy milk because of the taste but now I really don't mind drinking it. That's my morning source of proteins.I think it is far more healthy than dairy milk (from my point of view at least, I know others could disagree on that).

I've never tried soy cheese or soy yogurt but I've tried soy ice cream but to be honest I'm not a big fan of it, maybe that's because it taste mostly like sugar.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also taste differs between brands.. for instance I don't mind Silk soymilk. But other brands I don't like nearly as well.

experiment!

(psst: Tofutti Cuties are soy ice cream sandwiches and are pret-ty good!)

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.