Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » my nose!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my nose!
jessinator55
Activist
Member # 19702

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jessinator55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I didn't really know where to post this and it really is completely irrelevant but hey.. I need some help.

I got my nose pierced like five weeks ago and two days ago there was this red bump developing NEXT to the piercing. Well, today, it is big and nasty and I think it may be a zit because sometimes I get zits on my placebo week (my BC has acne meds in it). I was thinking it would go away once I started up again, but it looks so gross and it keeps bleeding and now I'm not that sure if it's a zit or like.. an infectious bump of terror that is going to kill me. So.. anyone who has had their nose pierced and this has happened to them? Help me:(!

Posts: 59 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had my nose pierced but I can maybe help you by saying that the best thing you could do was to go see a doctor. I don't really know how it looks so I can't really help.

It could only be a zit. Does it seems infected ? It could be an infection but you had your nose pierced a long time ago so it should have healed by now.

The thing that disturbs me is the bleeding. Does it occurs because you touch it ?

Don't touch it ! Only wash it gently with soap or some alcohol. And go see a doctor if this doesn't improve in a few days.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most doctors unfortunately don't know a lot about piercings - your best bet in this case is to go see the piercer who did the piercing for you in the first place. Until you can get there, switch to cleaning it with rubbing alcohol (if you don't do that already) and wash the area well with antibacterial soap when you wash your face.

Whatever you do, don't touch it without at least washing your hands first, and go see your piercer as soon as possible. They may recommend that you go see a doctor for some antibiotics, but the piercer is really the person you want to talk to first.

(cool87, five weeks is not long at all for a nose piercing to heal - they take anywhere from about 4 months to a year to be considered fully healed, depending on the person.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. With belly piercings, usually if there is an infection but it occurs right after the piercings or few days or weeks later. So I tought it was the same with nose piercings.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not true for belly button piercings, either. If an infection occurs, it's actually likely to recur over the course of the following weeks. All types of piercings take several months to heal completely (with the possible exception of ear lobe piercings, which tend to be pretty uncomplicated).

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also recommend seeing your piercer as soon as you can - cartilege piercings (of which your nose is one) have a high rate of scarring called keloids, which are bumps of flesh that occur when a piercing is irritated. I got some on my ear when my industrial piercing was torn slightly, and to prevent permanent scarring, I took it out. Without the irritation caused by the barbell, the keloids shrunk and disappeared though you can still see slight scars if you look closely at my left ear.

Your piercer will be the person to ask whether this will diminish on its own with gentle cleaning and care, or if the piercing will need to be taken out, and possibly redone.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScreamInEcstasy
Activist
Member # 26981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScreamInEcstasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive had alot of firsthand experience with piercings as im in the middle of taking a co-op course for piercing and ive had this bump problem at leats 3 times. What you have described is exactly the most common thing i see, the professional peircer that teaches me always tells the customer NOT to take out the piercing and tells them it is not an infection but a irritation, when it pops (whether you take it upon yourself to pop it [not recommended] or it breaks on its own...you should get saline solution and soak it and everything should be fine.
Posts: 45 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princessArae
Neophyte
Member # 29820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princessArae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question to add to this topic, if it isnt minded.

i have a similar problem, although not in the severity of the original poster. i had the cartilage of my left ear pierced in mid-febuary. it hurt for a little bit, and i cleaned it faithfully with the solution given to me by the piercer. now it gets cleaned with soap and water when i get a shower. heres my problem: even for a 5-month old piercing, it is still tender, though it doesnt hurt. it only feels this way when i touch it (ie. when i tuck my hair behind my ears etc). when i get hit in the ear for whatever reason, it becomes red and swollen, and hurts, not just a tender feeling, when i touch it. it normally goes back to normal in a day or 2.
when i dont wash my hair for a day, the tenderness of the piercing increases to where i can't lay on that side while sleeping or hold the phone against that hear. again, its not pain, but a slight discomfort. i would assume this is caused by the natural oils in my hair coming in contact with the piercing.
i just thought this was all part of the healing process, as i never had a cartilage piercing and didnt know what to expect. well, my boyfriend found about a week ago that i have a red "blood blister" next to the piercing, though mine doesnt bleed.
how should i deal with this? is it the same problem as the original poster, just not as severe? i had thought about trying to pop it, but i ruled that out to be a bad idea, as it might get infected. i also worry about what i had seen on a news program several years ago called "cauliflower ear", a type of scarring of the cartilage tissue resulting from a piercing. could that be the same as the keloids that were mentioned?

--------------------
~autumn~

Posts: 33 | From: pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 29945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2564800123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jessinator55:
Hey guys, I didn't really know where to post this and it really is completely irrelevant but hey.. I need some help.

I got my nose pierced like five weeks ago and two days ago there was this red bump developing NEXT to the piercing. Well, today, it is big and nasty and I think it may be a zit because sometimes I get zits on my placebo week (my BC has acne meds in it). I was thinking it would go away once I started up again, but it looks so gross and it keeps bleeding and now I'm not that sure if it's a zit or like.. an infectious bump of terror that is going to kill me. So.. anyone who has had their nose pierced and this has happened to them? Help me:(!

Posts: 2 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 29945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2564800123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I had the same thing happen to my nose ring and I thought I was going to die!!!! So I went looking on the internet for ways to get rid of "the red bump" and I found this stuff called tea tree oil and I put it on there three times a day and it went away in three days!!!
Posts: 2 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.