Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » nosebleeds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nosebleeds
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes i get blackheads on my nose, i gently squeeze them, and they go away. well, i did that yesterday and my nose started bleeding! not alot of blood, but this has happened a few times before and then it happened again this morning. i'm pretty sure that its connected to my nose piercing because before this i never got nosebleeds. my nose piercings is healed, i've had it for 6 months, but a few weeks ago i put some crappy jewelry in and it got a little upset so i put good jewelry back in. ever since the jewelry thing the nose bleeds have been happening. but only when i squeeze or put pressure on my nose, and only in the nostril that my piercing is in. should i be worried about this?

[ 06-27-2006, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: joyfulgirl ]

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting checked out by a doctor would definitely be a good idea. Where exactly is the blood coming from? Is it coming from the piercing, or somewhere else?

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't tell. i guess i'll ask my mom about going to a doctor. i heard that you can die of a nosebleed is that true? i'm a little freaked out...

--------------------

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpimconfuzzled
Activist
Member # 28953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpimconfuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Taken from answers.com)

It is uncommon to exsanguinate (die from bleeding) through nosebleeds. However, damage to the maxillary artery can lead to rapid blood loss via the nose and present difficulty in treatment, pressure, vasoconstrictor and rhinocort occasionally proving ineffective. Ligation of the artery, risking damage to the facial nerves, may be the only solution.

So dont worry about your nosebleed killing you, It is highly unlikely. Is it a lot of blood or is it a small amount?

Good luck at the doctors if you do go (which you should just to be safe and to maybe set your mind at rest)
x x

Posts: 91 | From: uk | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a small amount of blood, it may be due to your piercing. Since it is in the same nostril as the piercing, it is highly likely.

Although, I'd still recommend consulting a doctor if you're concerned. You know, just in case.

But, I have had a similar problem with my nose stud. (Assuming you have a stud and not a ring (?) )

You have to watch sometimes with body jewelry. Sometimes they are made from different types of metal. Some types cause allergic reactions, and that may be the cause of the bleeding.

If you decide to see a doctor, and the blood is from your piercing, I would go back to the piercer, and have them take a look.

Are you experiencing any pain, even if only slight, a throbbing feeling, or itching. How about any sign of an infection?

Are you still caring for your piercing, even though it has been 6 months since your piercing, you should still be cleaning it regularly with an antibacterial cleaner.

It may not be healed completely. The healing time period for nose piercings is 3-9 months. Sometimes even closer to a year. (Depending on where it is on the nose, and how your body cooperates with something foreign)

If it isn't completely healed, even the slightest pressure could cause bleeding, depending on how sensitive it is.

I ended up having to take my nose stud out. If yours is causing you problems, it may be in your best interest to do the same.

[ 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

yeah, i took it out last night and it was closed by morning. i had a stud, too. i wanted this since i was 13, but somehow i don't really care that i just retired it. one less piece of metal in my face to worry about. and i will be going to the doctor to get it checked out.

--------------------

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, even though you took it out, make sure you care for it as you would if it were still in.

Clean it with antibacterial cleaner or a gentle antibacterial soap. This will lessen the chance of an infection.

[Smile]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.