Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Boyfriend asleep constantly... Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriend asleep constantly... Help?
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend seems to have a problem with his sleeping patterns. I was discussing this with his mother last night, and she said that he would fall asleep in class, only waking up to answer questions/correct the teacher. Most of the time during the school year, he would fall asleep when he returned home from school as well, only waking up later in the evening to do homework.

He has also fallen asleep before our outings, before he was supposed to pick me up. One instance was on Valentine's Day. His mom said that he tends to be very disoriented, on that day particularly. He's fallen asleep while we were together at his house watching movies.

Okay, I'll get to the point. I'm just a bit worried about him. I mean, I know he's a teenager, and "teenagers sleep a lot," but isn't this just a bit over the top? Sure, he does stay up rather late on some nights, but not all the time, and he's not one to sleep late, really. His mother said that it's really difficult to wake him, too.

She wants to get his sugar levels checked, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on this. I know that it may not seem like anything is particularly wrong, but if you knew how frequent this was, then you'd understand.

The first thing I thought was Diabetes, low blood sugar. . . .

If you need more info, please specify. [Smile]

Thanks in advance.

[ 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Mathilde ]

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was his last general physical checkup? If he hasn't had one this year, now would be a great time. He can discuss his concerns with his sleep patterns with the doctor then.

... If this is a concern for him too ... Which you haven't really stated. Is it? If it isn't, you may have a hard time getting him to the doctor or attempting to get into some sort of normal sleep pattern.

It sounds like he may just not be getting enough hours of sleep per night. That means getting to bed early enough to get that sleep ... Or yes, you end up falling asleep in class [Wink] Again though, if his falling asleep during the day isn't a problem for him, he's not likely to adjust his bedtime.

So, first place to start w/, i guess, is your boyfriend. Let him know you're concerned. Have him assess his sleep habits and get him to the doctor.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When was his last general physical checkup? If he hasn't had one this year, now would be a great time. He can discuss his concerns with his sleep patterns with the doctor then.
He hasn't actually expressed his concerns about his sleeping patterns. I don't think that he thinks anything of it, but his mother and I both think that this is an issue that needs to be delt with. He does get good sleep at night (so I'm told), but he still sleeps a lot during the daytime. Most of the time when I call him someone has to wake him up - and it takes a lot to coax him awake.

His mom is planning on scheduling a doctor appointment soon. Even if nothing is wrong, it would be good to have a check-up. I know this just seems like a teenager who sleeps a lot (and his mother and I may just be over-reacting), but it's better to be safe than sorry.

[ 06-18-2006, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Mathilde ]

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wierdguy2022
Neophyte
Member # 27930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wierdguy2022     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i am a teenager boy and i sleep allot to. I get enough sleep at night. I fall asleep in class but i am always half way there so i know what kinda is going on. Part of the reason i think i might be tired is because I run Cross Country and its kinda intensive training. Does your boyfriend do any sports because i know its tiring to do them and school at the same time. WHen i get home from practice i sleep and them wake up later for homework. So it might be because hes active in sports or something else?
Posts: 20 | From: Winnemucca | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

No, my boyfriend isn't very active. He doesn't do any sport, which is why we are a bit concerned. He doesn't have much of a reason to be this tired. He does roofing on some weekends, but not on a regular basis. He doesn't eat healthy either, but he's not over-weight at all.
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not eating healthy could be a root of the problem. By not eating healthy do you mean . .

Little eating?

Over eating?

Eating only junk?

Eating a balanced breakfast in the mornings is a good energy boost. As well as a lunch and a dinner. (I know, I know, I should probably listen to myself here. . )

Definitely get a check-up. I'd say it'd be beneficial to all of you. It would ensure he was healthy (or provide options to help him) and it would give you both (you and his mother) peace of mind.

I'd start with the eating habits though. Not eating healthy can be a real drain in energy.

[
quote:
and it takes a lot to coax him awake
Heh . . Don't I know this. My boyfriend is extremely hard to wake up. In the mornings I stop by to see him before work, mainly for 15 minutes or so (gives me a good start to the day), he will look at me, tell me he loves me, etc. And when I get home in the evenings and bring up I was there, he looks out me cluelessly and says "Nuh Uh!" Uh Huh!!!

My brother is worse. It takes me 25 minutes and screaming 5 times or more to get my brother out of bed to go to school (or now that it's summer . .work!) ]

[ 06-21-2006, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

quote:
Heh . . Don't I know this. My boyfriend is extremely hard to wake up. In the mornings I stop by to see him before work, mainly for 15 minutes or so (gives me a good start to the day), he will look at me, tell me he loves me, etc. And when I get home in the evenings and bring up I was there, he looks out me cluelessly and says "Nuh Uh!" Uh Huh!!!
Seriously! His sister has had to kick him awake before. I think it's the fact that he under-eats, and he doesn't eat healthy foods.

His mother is still going to schedule a doctor's appointment, which is good. I don't think he realises there's a problem.

Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

UPDATE (of sorts):

He thinks that the sleeping problems may be caused by lack of comfort. He's currently using a futon as a bed, which (from what I've experienced, too), isn't the most comfortable aid for sleep. He is going to go with his mother soon enough to find a real bed, so hopefully the sleep issues will be solved. We'll see. [Smile]

kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a teenage boy, and I also find myself sleeping at odd times. From what you said, I wouldn't be very worried about your boyfriend; my mom has made me go to the doctor to see if chronic tiredness was caused by anything, and it wasn't. Teenage boys are just tired . But if you and he want to change it, a bed is a good idea, and if that doesn't work, maybe a doctor could help as well. I do think there is a very good chance that you might be over-reacting though. Just my two cents.
Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for the bed thing! Futons give me back aches [Frown]

I'd try fixing that eating habit, too! That is a very probable cause for the lack of energy.

Good luck

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolkidxx
Neophyte
Member # 29574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolkidxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could possibly be diabetes though.That causes it.Next time he goes to the doctor,see if they can't test him for that.Maybe when he goes to sleep at night he tosses and turns.Maybe he needs a new mattress?It could really be anything.
Good luck!
xoxox

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

It probably isn't Diabetes, but who knows. We'll just have to wait and see if a new mattress will make a difference. He was tossing and turning a lot, and I think it was difficult for him to get to sleep because of his current "mattress."

oOo Lea oOo: I know! I don't know how he manages to fall asleep at all. D:

His eating habits aren't terribly bad. As in, he doesn't just eat sweets all the time, and he doesn't always eat junk. I was over at his place Friday and we ate a good dinner, then a little while later he ate a bananna, some yougart, and grapes. I was surprised, but pleased to see it. [Smile]

Anyway, yeah. I'll update you on any progress, etc.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about depression? Does he deal with that at all? A common symptom of depression is being able to sleep and sleep and sleep, feeling really listless, low-energy.

Too, how about his sleeping habits in general? Does he read or watch TV in bed? Is it nice and dark and quiet in his sleeping room?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

quote:
Too, how about his sleeping habits in general? Does he read or watch TV in bed? Is it nice and dark and quiet in his sleeping room?
From what I know, he stays up pretty late, and sleeps in during the day ('til about noon, maybe earlier -- it depends on the day, really). He's on the computer really late. . . .

When it comes to depression, I don't think he suffers from it. He's suffered from it in the past, but not to a considerable degree. At this point, I think his sleeping issues have to do with the fact that he's staying up late and not feeling comfortable enough to fall asleep. That's not to say that depression isn't a factor -- for all I know, it may be -- but I wouldn't count on it.

Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Update:

Hi, all. My boyfriend went to the doctor finally to get this whole thing checked out. They took blood and he just recently went back to get the results, his mother tells me. It turns out that he has Mono. There was more to the explanation, of course, but I can't remember all that was explained at this moment. Something about a virus that he may've had, and something else. . .

Yes. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the Mono bit, but I'm going to wait and see. He's supposed to go back in about four or five weeks. Hopefully then we'll know the extent of what's wrong.

DOUBLE EDIT: They're also looking into something dealing with his thyroid gland, from what I hear.

Luckily, this isn't anything too extreme. It's treatable. I'm just glad that he went to the doctor. [Smile]

[ 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Mathilde ]

thathollygirl
Activist
Member # 29912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thathollygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, mono is rough. It can do bad things to you, but in most cases, like your boyfriend's, you just get really tired and sort of sick.

Glad to hear he's all right!

Posts: 70 | From: place | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

quote:
...like your boyfriend's, you just get really tired and sort of sick.
He's been getting sick so much. I don't mean every few months or so. No, I mean he's really, really ill and exhausted one week, then he is okay the next, and then (this week, actually) he's sick again. I feel so bad for him, cos he doesn't deserve it. [Frown]

Hopefully this cold that keeps re-surfacing won't continue its weekly pattern.

If it does, he might go insane. ):

[ 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Mathilde ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.