Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Hair question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair question
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Icon 5 posted      Profile for insomniac242424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^ I hope this is the right place to put a topic like this. People here seem pretty nice, so I thought I'd give it a shot... My hair has aaalways been thick and curly and so hard to manage. When I was younger I had it cut short a lot, but now I want longer hair. The problem is that I can't wear it down, because it's so unruley. It grows outward, and not down, it's all poofy, and thick..I can barely get a brush through it in the morning. I envy all the people who have silky straight hair. I tried thinning it once, but the hairdresser advised me not to do that because of how it grows back. I was thinking of layering it, but I'm not convinced. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a licensed hair dresser and without actually seeing how the hair grows, I couldnt actually advise you do to anything. When it grew back after thinned it, was it the way it was before? Or did it change to become more poofy,etc? If you were to get layers, I wouldnt make them very choppy. Make them more flow like and try it once with only a few of them to see if that makes a change in the way your hair is. Do you use any special controling shampoo or any other hair products?

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insomniac242424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the hair grew back it was just as thick as it was before, and it grew outwards in weird way in some spots. I don't use any special shampoos, my mom hates spending money on products like that, so she gets the dollar...VO5 stuff.. I have an appointment to cut my hair today..I'm hoping to have an idea of what I want before I go, so I can check how it looks rather then hope it turns out nice.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you arent using some shampoo to help I recommend the BedHead brand by Tigi. Try using the Control Freak shampoo or conditioner. Also you might want to use the Moisture Manic to help with it. After Party could also be used to help control wild hair.

Are you using any type of striaghtener?

--------------------
But I know if I could do it over, I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart that are left unspoken.

Posts: 70 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insomniac242424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried a straightner...But it really doesn't work well. Or work at all. The only part of my hair where I see a difference after I use a straightner is my bangs, but I'm trying to get rid of those.

Do you recommend any sort of cuts? What do you think about layering? One of my friends said that would make my hair feel lighter, and someone else said it would be bad after I washed and had to care for it myself.

sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

I think you should try with graduate layers that start from the bottom and go up. Ask the hairdresser before hand, because I cant see what your hair is exactly. But going from personal experience with people, I would say if you added in gradual layers that didnt look choppy (unless you want that look), it would help with the poof and make it flow. And also if you use a straightener after the layers are added in, it would help with the frizz (if there is any) and make it more manageable during the day. Add in some gloss drops after straightening. There are some cheaper brands that still do the same as the expensive brands for hair products. Even if you gradually buy these things, they last awhile and eventually your hair will be manageable.

--------------------

insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

[Smile] Thanks a bunch for the advice. I hope it gets betterr.... It's been giving me trouble for ever, maybe today it'll all end. ^^
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

I dont see how it would be bad afterwards. If you decide on the layers, ask your hair dresser for some tips or ask him/her to show you how to style it a way that you could do every day to help with the problems you are having. Like how to blowdry (if you blowdry that is)without causing frizz and fly aways. Ask them if they have any samples of the shampoo they use and you can try that and perhaps just buy the shampoo or a conditioner if you like it.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah, wrong forum.

[ 06-14-2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your hair actually sounds gorgeous. if you want to straighten it, that your decision. but there are lots of people (including me) who think that long curly hair is absolutely beautiful. it probably is kinda hard to manage and since i dont have that kind of hair i cant recommend any products, sorry. but aside from it being a little wilder, there's really nothing wrong or ugly with curly hair. good luck with it! and don't be afaid to let it be a little wild.

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how accepting yourself can trickle all the way down to the hair on your head.

As a member of thelong, thick, wild hair club (and when a bunch of it starts going grey? It gets even crazier), it's manageable just as it is if you like. Sheryll gave you some good ideas, and joyfulgirl sent a good message there.

I have my stylist both cut layers into mine and make the ends thinner: it grows in just fine, but then, I don't expect it to look controlled very often: clearly, it likes to be unruly. [Smile] Products which both keep it full of moisture and dentangled are helpful: I've kept Aveda's anti-humectant pomade on hand for years for days when it's just supa-crazy. I also only wash it every other day at a maximum: if I can go three days, it's a lot easier to manage.

You also don't have to wear it long if that's too much for you to deal with, either. There are plenty of ways to cut curly hair shorter that look swell and might make management easier.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67925 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Hehe..I just got back from the Hairdressers and we put long layers into it. ^^ It looks so much better, and when it's down it goes DOWN, not out like some weird triangle. Now I didn't ask, because they were busy talking about a serious thing with kidneys and organs, but I'll figure it out on my own...But I just hope that when I don't blow dry it it comes out just as nice as it is now. ^^
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Often, with curly hair? It's best not to blow it dry, or if you must, use a diffuser and just dry the roots, scrunching or twirling the ends.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67925 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

I never blow dry it...So I guess it's a good thing. xD But I think things will be better. It's thinner. I can actually get my brush through it!
Heather
Member # 3

Brushing thick, curly hair, by the way, often results in breakage, even with a good cut.

So, might be an even better idea to ditch the brush and just get a good wide-toothed comb or pick, or only use a plastic brush where the little teeth aren't close together.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Whoah, no one ever told me that. No wonder my hair is all...yeah... A nice comb sounds like a good idea. It's probably easier to use too...

While I'm here...Does anyone have any bang suggestions? I have them, and I'm growing them out, and I push them to the side, but they get all curly. Besides straightening them every three hours, is there anything I can do?

Heather
Member # 3

In the interest of accepting the texture of your own hair, I'd suggest growing them out.

I had many years of off-and-on bangness, but unless they're cut to work with your hair, you're just going to have to strighten them all the time, which again, isn't accepting your hair as it is.

In the meantime? Headbands and funky barrettes and clips are your best pal.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Hah, they've been growning out for two months now. They're at the stage where the very ends decide to curl up and refuse to stay back. I've been using bobby pins and clips, and nothing stays in. It was awful at school, for six hours, with no passes to the restroom to check the hair. I almost resorted to gel, but I thought that might make my hair look greasy.

I'm so anxious for them to grow to normal length. They're so irritating now, constantly falling into my eyes. At least when I had them I could cut them, now I just have to wait!

wantbutwont
Neophyte
Member # 29361

Icon 11 posted      Profile for wantbutwont     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by insomniac242424:
^^ I hope this is the right place to put a topic like this. People here seem pretty nice, so I thought I'd give it a shot... My hair has aaalways been thick and curly and so hard to manage. When I was younger I had it cut short a lot, but now I want longer hair. The problem is that I can't wear it down, because it's so unruley. It grows outward, and not down, it's all poofy, and thick..I can barely get a brush through it in the morning. I envy all the people who have silky straight hair. I tried thinning it once, but the hairdresser advised me not to do that because of how it grows back. I was thinking of layering it, but I'm not convinced. Anyone have any suggestions?

I understand what you are talking about because my hair is the same way my only advice would be to get your hair wet before brushing it.
Posts: 5 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Well when it's wet it takes hours to get dry again... The layering did wonders though. It feel sooo light and I can tell it will be easier to handle. [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Per the bang-growout, with wavy or curly hair, you might want to try swiping it over on a side part, and using the sort of barrette to clip it back that's open in the middle, and clips together on the sides and ends, if you know what I mean. It looks kind of retro, and it'll hold the ends in.

And again, headbands can work, and not the uncomfy plastic kind if those don't feel good. The kind that are like very big ponytail holders can work out nicely, because curly hair can wrap itself around the. Scarves and hats, also helpful. Just fiddle, and be patient: in a few months, you can probably stick than bangs behind your ears easily, or have whomever cuts you hair blend them in.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

I think I'm going to stop at the drugstore and pick up some clips on Friday, or maybe I'll just keep trying to brush them back... I'll have to play around with it... Thanks for the help. I wish I thought of asking about my hair sooner. Would have saved me a lot of self-conscious feelings in middle school...
YellowPlums
Neophyte
Member # 29011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YellowPlums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your hair in tight ringlets or is it more wavy curly? I'm just asking because mine's long ringlets and I was thinking of doing something new with it (I wear it half up almost every day).

--------------------
"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

Wavy curly... I think I'd be able to deal with ringlets all over. I do have a few, when I don't even towel dry my hair, but I always pulled my hair back so it didn't really matter. Now I want to leave it down, so I had to do things. [Smile] I loveee it. Maybe something to tone down the frizz. Any more product suggestions?
Heather
Member # 3

Talk to your stylist: really, he or she can have your hair in their hands to determine that best.

The pomade is a big win with me, as are cream stylers, but I'm older than you, so my hair is more porous, especially since I'm betting a quarter of yours isn't grey. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is also in the wavy-curly, long, thick category, and something I love is hair serum - it's usually very light so that it doesn't weigh down your hair or make it look like it's got loads of product in it, and it smooths down a lot of the frizz. Mine is the cheapo stuff from the drugstore, but you can also buy it at hair salons - ask your stylist if they can recommend one that will work the best with your hair.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheryll
Activist
Member # 25105

with the bangs, have you tried bobby pin them back and then spray jad a bit of hair spray on them so they remain in place. now i dont mean load them to the point that they are stuck to your head, just a squirt to help hold them. Im glad that the layers worked out.

--------------------

YellowPlums
Neophyte
Member # 29011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YellowPlums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by insomniac242424:
Any more product suggestions?

I use L'Oreal products. Usually the gel for curly hair and then the mousse (for curly hair as well). The gel keeps it from frizzing, and the mousse makes the curls more definied.

--------------------
"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the long, curly thing going on as well. My hair gets Ultra-Frizzy if I don't put anything in it at all and just let it dry all on its own

When I get out of the shower, I pick my hair out (never ever ever a brush, eek!), scrunch with my fingers to get the curls defined, and dab some gel on my hands and gently massage in. Usually I don't do the roots, just the ends.

I don't use too much, so when it dries, it dries nicely not clumpy and hard. My gel was given to me from a friend, and it's got natural minerals and stuff in it so its probably expensive. My boyfriend uses it too, so when it's gone I don't know what I'll do.

The price was on the label so she pulled the sticky label with the name of it off. It's liquid, almost like water, so it doesn't get clumpy. It's in a green and white squeezable tube.

It works wonders though. And it gives my hair a natural look.

If I happen to run into her again (she was a co-worker) I'll ask her what it was and where she bought it.

Mousse may work. I used to use Herbal Essences Mousse on my hair, and as long as I didn't put too much on, it worked just fine.

Your best bet, though, is to talk to the same person who deals with cutting and maintaining your hair. They would know best what would work with your hair type.

[ 06-15-2006, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got really curly, wavy hair as well. For curly styles, I like Physique Frizz Control Curl Cream. I usually just leave it wet and scrunch it occasionally with my fingers. When it's dry (if I'm still at home at the time), I'll use a warm iron to further define some of the top curls. When I want my hair straighter, I like Rusk Str8.

I've also found that my hair behaves better all the way around when I am using good quality products. I love Rusk products -- all of their products are vegan. You can only get them through salons and a few selected retailers, and they are more expensive, but they use a special compressed formula that allows you to use 30-50% less product (so your product lasts twice as long). I've also really loved the Lush haircare products that I have tried. It just seems to me that when I am using good quality, real botanical products, my hair feels and behaves better.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniac242424
Activist
Member # 21965

I tried that gel thing, and it's great. [Smile] Without the layers when my hair was down it was all poofy---impossible to do ANYTHING with. Now I can like..do things...and the gel makes it nice. I've decided to give up on trying to make it straight, and just to enhance what I've got. That gel idea is great though. ^^
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think curly hair is beautiful. As is straight hair. Honestly, I like the natural look. I think if you have curly hair, enhance the curls.

It's also nice having curly hair that sometimes goes straight, because there is less of a fight and many ways to style. (Wish I were that lucky. My hair has a mind of its own!)

GOod luck with the hair thing, though. Glad you found some sort of solution! [Big Grin]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.