Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Bowel Movements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bowel Movements
pierceme05
Activist
Member # 19530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pierceme05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I am a little embarrassed to ask this, but I have looked all over the web and can not find anything...so, here goes...

I'll be finished with my first year of college next week but I have just noticed that since I've been at college, I hardly ever have any bowel movements. I went home most weekends (at home relationship+ job searching) so I've just waited to go home to use the bathroom. I'll try to go in the dorm bathroom but it's so akward if someone else is in there or thinking someone else will come in (I'm sure everyone else is thinking the same thing though). Usually I don't have to poop when at school but like today I do but I just won't let myself do it when at school. I'm not going home this weekend so it could make for a very long last two weeks.
Anyway, I was wondering if a change in a bowel movement schedule could make you gain weight? I've noticed I have gained quite a few pounds since coming to college (granted my bowel movements are not the only things that have changed and I've always been chunky). I've thought about using laxatives when I get back home but I am not too sure about how those works. A male friend of mine had a similar problem but I would rather not discuss this with him. Hmm...
Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips, ideas, or comments?
Sorry if I grossed anyone out. [Frown]

Posts: 55 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of withholding bowel movements to cause weight gain. The only way it would really cause weight gain would be if you weren't going AT ALL, and then, really, you'd have much bigger problems.

Unfortuneatly you could be looking to cause yourself some serious trouble if you continue on this path. Holding your bowel movements in can not only get extremely uncomfortable, you increase your chances of becoming constipated (laxatives do not always do the trick; if you think taking a BM in a shared washroom is embarassing think of how embarrased you'll be if you have to go to the hospital to be disimpacted [where they basically remove the feces for you]) or even obstructed.

That all said, not everyone needs to have a BM everyday. Some people go days (a few) at a time and this is normal for them. Weeks at a time is abnormal and will eventually cause problems for you.

Basically, you need to find a way to get over it. It'd be way better for you to do it in the middle of the night (everyones sleeping) and take some air freshner with you (less likely to get 'caught') than hold it in like this. It's normal, everyone does it, and if you stop yourself from doing it you'll be causing yourself way more problems in the long run.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keekee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pierceme05!
Just a quick note to say I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and when i first went to the doctors about pain in my stomach, they did xrays to find out if there was any problems. The Doctors found the I was extremely constipated and I was told i was the worst they'd seen in a long time.
So I was given laxatives and alsorts of pills and potions to help me. Needless to say i was stuck on the tiolet all day!!!

On clearing me out I went to see the Gastroentrologist, who told me that in order to help myself to not get constipated again I had to train myself to open my bowels once as day EVERYDAY preferably at that same time. Thus making sure you open your bowels. Now my body just knows its the time of day where i must goto tiolet and it does it.

Well thats my little story but it worked for me ... However with me there were underlying problems. But hope this helped, just remember im not an expert and i am just speak ing from experiance!!!!
love always,
keekee
xxx

{ PS : im celebrating my 40 post - yeys [Big Grin] [Wink] }

[ 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Yes, know thyself: in great concerns or small, Be this thy care, for this, my friend, is all. - Juvenal

Abuse can and will only survive and thrive if silence is kept. So lets speak out?!

Posts: 83 | From: Dagenham, Essex UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive suffered from kind of the same thing ever since i was little (according to doctors i didnt want to go because it hurt or something) andnow because of my side effects of anti depressants I find myself not going at all..Ive become so used to all laxatives, even herbal ones, that they dont do anything. I have to keep going back to doctors to get new medicines every few weeks or so.
Ive noticed that when you cant go, you *feel* like youve put on weight because you get fatigued and bloated, putting things into your body when they cant come out again. However I am more likely to lose weight as I feel so sick I cant eat properly for days.

I think LilBlueSmurf's suggestion of going at night would be best for you to avoid embarrassment..even though everybody does it I dont think I could go during the day in a 'public' place like yourself.
If you still find it difficult (from nerves or something, even though you know nobodies about your body still may feel tense) Natural relievers such as senna may help you get into the swing of things, but dont rely on them if you need them too often.
really hope you start to feel better soon <3

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Smurf. Part of your situation, too, is the psychological adjustment to dealing with not having as much privacy as you're used to. When I was in basic training, I found it tough to go around other people, especially when bathroom breaks could last less than a minute.
Unless I was in dire straits, I wouldn't go during the day; I'd wait until night.

But my body pretty much adjusted on its own after a couple of weeks, because I couldn't have constantly restricted myself to going at night for 9 weeks. So your body may do the same.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.