Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » smoking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smoking
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 7 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering how many people here smoke. Regularly or just occasionally? What are your opinions on smoking - have you recently given up? Did it affect your sex life?

I have very mixed feelings on smoking and, although I am a non-smoker, I am interested to read smokers' views.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker. I'm really against smoking. It's bad for your health and I think it's inconsiderate from smokers to smoke around non-smokers because it negatively affects their health which I think is unfair.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-smoker here. And I gotta say, I'm really against it. Three of my grandparents died at relatively young ages from smoking related illnesses (lemme tell ya, lung cancer is not pretty) and my father had a massive heart attack at the age of 46 after smoking for over 30 years.

Obviously, I can't make the choice for anyone else to smoke or not, but my smoking friends know that I really don't appreciate people smoking around me - and I'm really glad that smoking is not permitted anywhere indoors in my city.

(Also, I'm not sure Sex Basics is the best forum for this...maybe a mod could move it?)

[This message has been edited by karybu (edited 01-09-2006).]

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to General Health & Nutrition. See ya there!
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 10 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a smoker. I have fairly severe asthma that is aggravated by many things, namely smoke. So, I'm not ok with people smoking near me/around me. My grandfather on my father's side died of smoking-related lung issues [emphysema, chronic irritation and the like] so I really can't say anything good about it. Oh, it feels good? So does running a mile in nice weather. Do that instead.

My love of three years smoked when he was a young 'un and now doesn't, because I can't be around it. If I was dating or whatever, I would probably prefer to be with someone who doesn't smoke, since I can't be around it and I really dislike the smell it gets on one's clothes, one's breath, one's hair, etc.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 10 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be the first smoker to post here.

I'm a smoker and have been for oh about 5 years now, but am now considering myself a 'trying-to-quit' smoker. My mom just recently gave up smoking so I think it's going to be alot easier to quit without having her smoke as well so I'm not so tempted to give in - also I'm broke anyway and really don't feel like spending all my money on cigarettes.

Honestly, I can't seem to figure out why people start smoking, it's gross, bad for your health and it SMELLS... throughout the whole time I've been smoking I've absolutely HATED the smell of smoke... but yet - voila here I am 5 years later still smoking.

Anyways, imho peer pressure is the main factor as to why kids/teens start smoking, it's hard not to do it when everyone else around you is, and once you get addicted (well in my experience) other factors keep you smoking, like stress, anxiety, and boredom ect.

Anyways that's just my two cents...wish me good luck on my quitting! It's probably about my 50th try... but 50th times a charm right?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be an ex-smoker. 2 years on and off (July 2001-Oct 2003).

I wasn't really addicted to begin with, and I wasn't when I decided to quit for good. I smoked mainly for social reasons. NOt really much of peer pressure or family or whatever. It was all my choice and wanting to be like that socially.

I've been clean for over 2 years now (quit in Oct '03) and proud of it. I do not want to go back to that habit. I haven't had zip of craving to smoke or anything. I want it to stay that way.

My partner hasn't smoked in his entire life ,and I know he wasn't a fan of it when I was doing it. He was part of my many reasons of quitting.

Smoking sucks really. I hate the smell, it's only a temporary relief, and etc. I also started to think long term. I want to be a mom someday, and not be a smoker when I'm married as well.

So yeah, i think this sums up. Smoking is really a bad habit, and can be hard for some people to break (but it's not IMPOSSIBLE). Just takes time, and maybe some lifestyle changes for some.

Jules

[This message has been edited by summergoddess (edited 01-09-2006).]

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle Ravel
Activist
Member # 21100

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Michelle Ravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking is a nasty habit, and non-smokers shouldn't have to put up with it in this day and age, especially in public places.

I'm so glad that there is a law in place where I live--and now in most of Canada--that makes smoking illegal in buildings, restaurants, and even bars.

I hated coming home from the bar reeking of an ashtray.

If these laws make it hard for smokers, I don't have any sympathy. They can suck it up and quit. It may sound harsh, but smoking is highly harmful not only to the smoker, but to everyone around him via second-hand smoke, so to ban it in public buildings is only fair and right.

Posts: 51 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allaric131
Neophyte
Member # 26345

Icon 2 posted      Profile for allaric131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well am 15 and a smoker it's been 2 years now..but i try to quit smoking..i hope ..well at least i got to lessen my intake..sex life no i think it doesnt but some say it could make you infertile..?
Posts: 13 | From: philippines | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honest1
Neophyte
Member # 5338

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Honest1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about the affecting sex life, that is totally possible, my ex had the same problem when she tried to quit, her sex drive totaly slumped, but this was probably because of stress and anxiety caused by trying to quit.
Dont be suprised about this, as stopping any habbit can cause problems.

(normally habbits are a way of releasing stress or anxiety, and by getting rid of this vice, people try to find another way of relieving this, which sometimes isnt possible, hence arguments or other habbits form)

------------------
Just cos i'm male dont mean i aint got feelings

Posts: 15 | From: London,England | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peaches44
Activist
Member # 27099

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Peaches44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I smoked for 5 years. I am a recent non-smoker. I woke up on new years day and I didn't want to smoke anymore. I did not make a new years resolution and to be quite honest I did not even make a concious decision to not smoke. I simply didn't want to smoke.

I miss it a little sometimes, and I have had a couple of puffs here and there since new years. I stand by the fact that having those couple puffs did NOT set me back at all and I don't start my "smoke-free for:" count by the last day that I had a few puffs. I have been smoke free since Jan 1st. Anyone that would like to argue that can try.

I don't like it that now, if I have a puff or two then the people around me give me looks of pity and say things like "I guess you're smoking again now?" It's quite frustrating for me because I have decided not to start smoking again and I consider myself a non-smoker. I have not "failed" at quitting if I smoke once in a while.

I think that is a concept that a lot of people need to get rid of. I know many smokers who are afraid to try quitting because they worry that they will "fail" and people will think badly of them. I think that it is better for you to quit for 1 day or even an hour than to never have tried at all.

Non-smokers always go about "helping" their smoker friends in the wrong way as well. Not to say that your intentions aren't good, but when I smoked and people would look at me and say "You know that's bad for you right?" it made me so mad at them. I always felt like everyone thought they were better than me somehow because I smoked and they didn't. Non-smokers can be VERY demeaning to a smoker. It's just the attitude that people have towards ciggarettes is often transfered onto the person smoking it. I understand that you dislike being around people who smoke but does that make the person any less valuble??

I don't think that many non-smokers realize how hurtful they can be.

Also, I don't agree with laws that make it impossible for a smoker to smoke in ANY public area. I think that within buildings it make perfect sense to either ban smoking or to make an area that has a separate ventilation system and is sealed off. But outdoors, I think that people should at least be allowed to smoke outside. I understand not wanting to inhale second hand smoke, but frankly, outdoors you can simply take a step back from the person smoking and ask them to blow it up or something and there is no problem as far as I'm concerned. You need to treat smokers with as much respect as you expect to have and that means allowing them safe places for them to smoke as well as safe places for you to be away from smoke.

I know a lot of people don't agree with me on this topic, but that's what I believe.

Posts: 50 | From: Alberta Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Non-smokers always go about "helping" their smoker friends in the wrong way as well. Not to say that your intentions aren't good, but when I smoked and people would look at me and say "You know that's bad for you right?" it made me so mad at them. I always felt like everyone thought they were better than me somehow because I smoked and they didn't. Non-smokers can be VERY demeaning to a smoker. It's just the attitude that people have towards ciggarettes is often transfered onto the person smoking it. I understand that you dislike being around people who smoke but does that make the person any less valuble??<<

I don't think smokers are less of a person or anything. Everyone is a smoker or at least experienced second-hand smoke or have people in their lives who smoke.

I was once a smoker (smoke free since late Oct of 2003). I was in a relationship at the time, and still am in the relationship with the same guy. My partner hasn't smoked at all in his entire life. He didn't pressure me or say stuff ie, smoking's bad blah blah. I knew that he was against it, and he didn't like me doing it when I was. I felt his disappointment during my smoking phase. He was part of my many reasons of quitting (and really, he didn't pressure me to quit). It was all me.. I did it on my own. I'm happy with my smoke-free decision and it shall remain for the rest of my life.

I still have friends who smoke still, and i don't go around saying hey, you should quit or smoking's bad. People make choices and it's their body, their lives. People will quit if they want to and it's entirely their doing, not others. It's easier for some people if a group of them is quitting all together, there's more support, but it's not impossible to quit on your own (even if your the only friend quitting).

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a smoker, been one consistently for about.. hmm.. 5 years I guess. I started smoking when I was a freshman in HS. My friend was smoking and asked if I wanted to try it. I had always wanted to know what it would be like to smoke, so I did it. There was no peer pressure, it was just something I wanted to try. I tried it *cough* and didn't do it again until after we started hanging out more and more. Now I'm an ashtray Well not really, but I am trying to quit. My mom was a smoker at 12 (she's 36 now), quit, and then started up again so we are trying to quit together

Back in my home state, they passed a law saying that you couldn't smoke in restaurants, bars, your car while driving, or even on your own property! Then they took it back because they were getting so many letters from people who were really upset at the law being passed. Even now in TN there are a lot of places you can smoke in: pawn shops, gas stations, clothing stores etc.

Just throwing in my 2 cents

[This message has been edited by BiLLaBaBy017 (edited 01-26-2006).]

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 13 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking..Well..I was a smoker for 4 yrs. I started when I was 16. I wasnt being influenced by peer pressure, I just got curious one day and decided I would ask my grandmother to try it. Of course, she laughed, said I would be sick, and gave me a cigarette. Well, I guess the first time many people often cough, I did. But, that didn't bother me. I felt "mature" i guess. I snuck cigarettes from my mom and dad and many of the smokers in my family until I was 18. I even had friends by me packs at school every so often. I wasn't addicted though. I didn't HAVE to smoke. When I was 18, I bought a lottery ticket, went to a bar/night club, and of course, bought a pack of cigarettes. They were easy to get at that point, so i smoked all the time, became hooked and a chain smoker. I smoked 2 packs a day. I quit the day my grandmother got sick. She passed away august of "05". I'm proud to say that I have not touched a cigarette since May of 05. Now I cant even STAND cigarette smoke.
Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Both my mother-in-law and my father-in-law were killed by tobacco. They were not easy deaths to watch.

I am highly allergic to the tobacco plant and have never smoked.

When I moved here, Hastings County was not smoke free. I was used to Toronto and almost gagged when I walked into a local restaurent that permited smoking. The County has since become smoke free in all public enclosed places and I am much happier.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 01-30-2006).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 16, and I'm a non-smoker. The reason I choose to not go near cigarettes is this: My dad has been smoking since he was a teen. My great-grandmother died from Emphysema because she couldn't quit (she was 86 when it killed her), my grandmother smokes, and my grandfather died from cancer because he smoked.

It's just something that I don't want to get into. I've been around smokers (family members) all my life, and I just wish they would put it down. I know it's hard, but I don't want to see my dad die like my great-grandmother and my grandfather did...

[This message has been edited by Mathilde (edited 02-04-2006).]

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dudewheresmypipe420
Neophyte
Member # 27700

Icon 10 posted      Profile for dudewheresmypipe420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey im 15 and ive been smoking since i was 8 and it surly isnt a good habit to get into but it does -- edited -- but since your a non-smoker i think you shouldnt even be thinking about smoking like youve heard in all the other replys its not good for you but im quiting hopefully soon but just dont get into that kind of ****

Note from Miz S.: per our guidelines, users may not encourage illicit drug use in any way here.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 02-26-2006).]

Posts: 7 | From: cottonwood | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 10 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smoking has never been an appealing idea to me, and i honestly don't understand why people get into it in the first place. it makes you smell bad, your teeth can become discolored, and it lessens your life expectancy!

even if i did want to smoke, it wouldn't be a very smart choice considering that i'm on the pill.

Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone with severe asthma, I couldn't smoke even if I wanted to. Also, my grandma and many other people on my mum's side of the family have died from smoking related issues, so I've always been a little sensitive about the issue. Honestly, I don't understand smoking. It's not as if it gives you some sort of rush, like drugs do (which, BTW, I'm also very against). It just makes you smell icky and hurts your health. I don't see the appeal at all. I don't know. It's not as if I look down upon people who do smoke, though, nor do I preach to them about all the reasons they should stop. It just kind of makes me sad to see people smoking. But everyone has to make their own decisions.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was the apple of my grandfather's eye. My mother tells me he didn't even try to hide his favoritism towards me from the other children.

One day, he took me out for walk in my stroller. It was too much for his weakened heart and lungs. He died of complications directly related to his emphysema a few hours later.

No, I don't like tobacco use.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tattooed_N_Pierced
Neophyte
Member # 27743

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tattooed_N_Pierced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NobodySaidItWasEasy:
Just wondering how many people here smoke. Regularly or just occasionally? What are your opinions on smoking - have you recently given up? Did it affect your sex life?

I have very mixed feelings on smoking and, although I am a non-smoker, I am interested to read smokers' views.

I've been smoking on and off for the past 5 years now that I think about it. I'll go weeks without smoking and other times I'll chain smoke. I wasn't pressured into smoking I wanted to try somwthing knew. It does slow you down a bit damaging your lungs and throat. I hate to smoke infront of people. I think its rude. I think if you have to ask someone if you can smoke then you shouldn't. Unless your around only smokers.

Posts: 1 | From: somers point, nj, 08244 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't smoke, never will, and was mortified when i discovered that my bf smoked.
he once described me as "the reason i'm going to quit smoking." i was so proud!

the older a man gets, smoking has a more negative effect on his ability to get erections because of the effect smoking has on your blood vessels.

for a younger guy, stress, caffeine, and smoking all together in large amounts can lead to erection problems too. i've seen that firsthand.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.