Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Snacks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snacks
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a general question for everyone. Do you have a favorite snack food that isn't like really really bad for you? I have such trouble with this! Whenever I get home from class I end up eating stuff like chips because it's easy and inexpensive but I totally need an alternative! Anyone have any good ideas?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter on celery is pretty good. It kills that craving for something sweet, and supposedly celery takes more calories to chew and digest than it originally has in it, so I think that cuts into the overall calories of the snack. If you really want to cut out the sugar, natural peanut butter (no sugar added and such) is REALLY good. Also, just try unsalted sunflower seeds or peanuts. As far as I know, any kind of nuts are pretty healthy as long as they're natural or just lightly salted.
Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really dig apples and cheese as a snack, or bruschetta mix (tomatoes, onions, seasoning, garlic chopped up fine, and mixed with some olive oil) on wheat crackers or whole-wheat pita slices. Just cutting up fruits and veggies are good and filling, and easy to eat while doing homework or surfing the net. I really enjoy popping up a small pot of popping corn - with just a tiny bit of salt, it fills the snacky, chip vibe but isn't nearly as unhealthy.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love:
baby carrots
dried fruit (particularly dried apricots!)
mini Breton crackers
dry cereal
cut up cucumber, sweet pepper, etc.
mandarin oranges

among other things. :-)

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, mandarin oranges. The ones that come in little cans, with all the syrup drained away...delicious.

I like lots of things as snacks: peanut butter toast (more toast than peanut butter), asian pears, green apples, grapes, pomegranate juice, cranberry juice, kettle corn (no butter! no salt! woohoo), dried fruit (apricots, raisins, blueberries, etc.), vanilla almond milk that's been shaken to be foamy and creamy, peanuts (only occasionally--I tend to go crazy with peanuts and eat huge amounts without eve noticing).

Also a cup of hot milk with a teaspoon of vanilla syrup--good around bedtime, when you're itching to eat/drink but don't want or need a big snack/mini meal.

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 12-15-2005).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love fruits and veggies! Plain, most of the time ... Though apples and peanut butter are good, and veggies with some low fat salad dressing are good too. But i find if i don't cut them up as soon as i get them, i dont eat them and then they go bad

I bought a great big bag of dried fruit and nuts, which has been excellent. I was surprised b/c you tend to fill up very fast on that stuff and it stays with you for a while. The danger with this stuff is the sodium content though, so enjoy in moderation ...

I also really love crackers and cream cheese or bagels and cream cheese. This should also be enjoyed in moderation tho, and is usually more of a meal for me than a 'snack' ... !

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nonfat yogurt is great. it's a good source of protein and calcium.

i like energy bars, particularly Luna bars. but i also snack on fruits like bananas, guavas, strawberries and satsuma mandarins.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LilBlueSmurf, I have the same problem with vegetables! If I don't them up right away I don't end up eating them. I think I should try cutting them as soon as I buy them or else it really is a waste.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like granola bars...those Natural Harvest ones (or whatever, the ones with the green wrappers) are the best.

Dried fruit is pretty good too, but I always buy the make-your-own-bag kind, instead of pre-made, since I've found that the pre-made stuff tends to get stale faster.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get with the fruits (I find veggies more satisfying). It's annoying, because I'll eat an apple thinking "this is good for me, and it's just somthing quick to tide me over" but I'll be hungrier 20 minutes later than I was before I ate the darn thing.

------------------
Help yourself by helping the world
It's a pretty good day, I'm looking for tomorrow; I had a pretty good day, yeah, I had a good day

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the winter, my favorite snack is Satsumas. I eat them like candy, if you will. Also, they are perfect for taking up snowboarding.

When I can afford them, I also really like fresh raspberries. Those on some haggen daas vanilla ice cream are really quite good, and I've yet to find a cleaner ice cream. Tasty.

Sometimes, I'll eat Pirate Booty, which is like the love-child of popcorn and Cheetos. It's gluten free, and really tasty.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love fruits especially raspberries and strawberries. I'll get the frozen kind when summer has long gone and I go nuts.

I also crave for those small oranges that come around in the fall and winter.

I love green apples and i sprikle them in with cinnamon. MMM!!

I also can't live without bagels and cream cheese. Of course, it has to be done in moderation cuz it can be more like a meal rather than a snack!

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like green apples (like granny smith), yogurt with granola, salad with nonfat dressing, celery with peanut butter, carrots and dip, broccoli and dip, strawberries with splenda and a lot of other things. It takes away your craving for junky, fatty foods and it makes you feel better. It gives you a lot more energy, at least for me. I have found that a cup or warm milk before bed (even when you're not tired) will make you tired, and give you a good nights sleep. Just throwing in my 2 cents

------------------
*^_AsHLeY_^*

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tangerines. I actually had a problem for a while because I was getting about 1000% of my daily vitamin C requirement. I'd eat 2-3 in the morning as a snack, 4 or 5 at lunch, 2 or 3 when I'd get home as a snack. And I also drink a lot of apple juice - a glass or two a day...so...I've cut back, usually I cap at 5 each day now.
Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
completelyinlove
Neophyte
Member # 26892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for completelyinlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really love to eat plain white popcorn! It's so good, and it doesn't have any salt or butter. I love oranges, any kind of fruit actually. I can't have apples though because they hurt my stomach. But every other kind of fruit. I LOVE VEGETABLES!! I eat too much of that group a day, which means I get monitored, or we'd have no vegetables at my house. HaHa!
Posts: 9 | From: Jackson, Missouri, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 10 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I used to love when I was younger was bananas in milk. You slice up the banana, put it in a bowl of milk, and eat! I used to live off that. Also, I'll eat strawberries and raw pecans. I think the combination is absolutely delicious. I like peanut butter, too. Peanut butter and apples are good together, or just peanut butter by itself. Remember, though, that Skippy kind (or whatever it's called) isn't as good for you. Try to find something a little more natural.

Around my period I always get insane cravings for oranges, so I eat a lot of those. They're so nummy. I also have a fondness for lemons. I cut them up and eat them plain or put a little sugar on them when I'm not in the mood for something so sour. I adore citrus fruits, in case you haven't noticed. :)

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.