Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Calcium Deficiency?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calcium Deficiency?
RadicalFeminist
Neophyte
Member # 25842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RadicalFeminist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I know that white spots on your fingernails means you're not getting enough calcium, but does it mean the same thing if you have white spots on your teeth? I brush my teeth twice a day and have good dental health. I just recently became vegan, cutting out all calcium that comes from dairy products. So Iím watching for signs of calcium deficiency because I don't want to mess with that. Last night when I brushed my teeth I didn't have any spots or weird marks on my teeth, and this morning when i woke up I had two big white spots! So, my questions are:
1. Do they mean I'm not getting enough calcium?
2. How do I get rid of them if they arenít calcium related (they won't brush off, I tried)?

Thanks!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a myth that white spots on your nails or teeth are a sign of calcium deficiency. As for how to get rid of the spots, other than bleaching your teeth, there's not much you can do.

Vegan vitamin supplements are available, so you might want to start taking them (no need to go overboard--maybe just a multivitamin every day) if you are concerned.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, white spots on your nails mean that you basically injured the nail or the nail bed.

I've never heard of white spots on the teeth. As a vegetarian myself, the importance of minerals isn't something to take lightly, though. Taking multivitamins is a very good idea (especially as a female, since we are more prone to oesteoporosis later in life).

Honestly, I have no idea what the white spots could mean, if anything. I'll look into it, but if it is really bothering you, you can just phone your doctor.

(Haha Ashy, very funny...get outta my head! )

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 11-20-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, white spots on teeth are a sign of decalcification.

Broccoli is a good source of veggie calcium. You may want to look into Ca-fortified fruit juices, too.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dentist recommends extra fluoride for white spots on teeth to prevent decalcification (along with making sure you get enough calcium in the first place and the Vitamin D to absorb it). Actually he recommended not rinsing out the mouth after spitting out the toothpaste foam, but I just got a bottle of fluoride rinse instead. I'm not ready to brush my teeth like an astronaut yet.
Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmajen
Activist
Member # 19913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emmajen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry just to be clear: the white on your nails isn't from lack of calcium but the white on your teeth is?
And can anyone reccomend a good multi-vitamin?

Posts: 44 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take generic multivitamins from Costco. They work just fine. For extra calcium, I take Viactiv chews.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.