Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » how to gain weight?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to gain weight?
Zander
Neophyte
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi its Zander, its been a while.

I have been trying for over 4 years to gain weight, i am currently 130 pounds and i have been that weight sinse i was 13 years old , i do everything i can i drink alot of milk and eat baccon, ham , alot of things that are sopposed to gain me weight but they dont. so, i was woundering, what can i do or eat or drink to gain some pounds?
THANK YOU !

Posts: 28 | From: Hamilton | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask why you want to gain weight?
If you're concerned about being underweight then you should talk to your doctor and possibly a nutritionist to help you out in a safe and healthy way.

------------------
Consciously Naive

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to gain weight in the first place? If you eat healthy and exercise regularly and your body weight remains the same regardless, that might just be the weight that is healthy for you to stay at. Fitness is more important than anything here.
Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gaining weight with bacon and ham is just as bad as trying to lose weight by starving yourself.

you gotta do these things the right way.

so, are you growing in height but not growing in bulk? you forgot to tell us how tall you are.

if you want to gain weight, do it by gaining good muscle. get fit. take up sports, get regular exercise. do NOT take 'roids!!! learn good nutrition. you're an adolescent, so your metabolism is going to be through the roof. you will need more calories, but you need to get good calories. that means plenty of protein and complex carb. a little fat but not too much. avoid processed sugar junk and fast food. ditch the sodas and drink water and fruit juices instead. the way you're doing things now, you're developing terrible habits for the future. once you get started eating bacon and junk, you keep eating it. bad habits die hard, and well, bacon is tasty. it's a hard one to give up for a lot of folks. but you gotta get your diet on track before you wreck your heart and blood vessels. that stuff starts faster than you think. if you have a family history of high cholesterol, you're in extra trouble.

and for sure, you gotta ask your doctor if you're developing normally. if you are underweight, it could be thyroid issues or something else hormonal.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zander
Neophyte
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. good points

well my current hieght is 5 feet and 6 inches. not very tall. i'd say "petit" or something.
but nothing like high colesterole runs in the family though.
but your right, who needs ham anyway. (smiles).

Posts: 28 | From: Hamilton | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, and there's a reason things like adult onset diabetes have become so widespread, even without genetic precursors.

And heart disease tends to not be a big body image booster.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay*Marie
Activist
Member # 26167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay*Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Phycology in school right now and we were learning why people do and dont gain wait. People with more fat cells continue to eat and eat because they have more cells thanpeople with less fat cells that eat until they get full and there fat cells eat what they need causing you to not gain weight and people with more fat cells to keep on gaining. Typically guys have less. I would do as someone else said up there, put on weight by gaining muscle, i would way rather have a nice firm stomach than a loose flabby one
Posts: 40 | From: duluth mn us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lindsay*Marie:
I am in Phycology in school right now...

• phycology - the study of algae
  • psychology - the study of the mind
  • physiology - the study of organismal bodies

your explanation of metabolism is a little muddled and hard to follow, but i will agree that men tend to have lower percentages of body fat than women.

Anyway Zander, if you want to increase muscle, you need protein to build with. But then you need carbs with a tinge of fat to fuel the building process.

------------------
    LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
    Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
    1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Lindsay*Marie
    Activist
    Member # 26167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay*Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
  • phycology - the study of algae
  • physiology - the study of organismal bodies

your explanation of metabolism is a little muddled and hard to follow, but i will agree that men tend to have lower percentages of body fat than women.

Anyway Zander, if you want to increase muscle, you need protein to build with. But then you need carbs with a tinge of fat to fuel the building process.

yes i didnt exactly get to the point i wanted sorry, there was a point to it

Posts: 40 | From: duluth mn us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Heather
    Executive Director & Founder
    Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    i would way rather have a nice firm stomach than a loose flabby one

Please watch comments like this at the boards.

You know, everyone has different body types. My best friend does triathalons, so she's in incredible shape, but because of her body type, she has a belly. She always will. And yanno, it's a lovely belly in its florid roundness, no more or less so than someone like myself, whose body type is such that due to my genes and how I train, I have very taut abdominal muscles.

On the other hand, despite teaching kickboxing part-time as well as training hard with the boxiing, and biking everywhere rather than driving, my genes are such that I will ALWAYS have some flab on my thighs, even around a ton of muscle.

So, you have aesthetic preferences, fine. But these things are not all about choice, and moreover, some people even aesthetically prefer what you don't, so let's not judge bodies in this regard here, eh?

(As an additional note, most yogis will tell you that a very taut stomach -- the six-pack type currently in vogue -- is actually not all that healthy for your body, as it limits your breath capacity.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
    Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.