Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » running vs. machines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: running vs. machines
ayeayeaye
Activist
Member # 16787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayeayeaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have started actually working out! hooray for me! well i have taken a likig to those "elipital" type machines. i was wondering if theres anything that you guys know of that make using them better than jogging or jogging better than using them. i know that machines like these can be better for your knees and ankles. am i going to get just as much good cardiovascular/weightloss as i would if i were jogging?
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, one can't speak for weight loss, because there are too many factors (plus, getting fit can often cause one to gain weight, as muscle weighs more than fat does).

But yes: it's equivalent in every way per health benefits and fitness (save that since you're indoors, not out, you won't be synthesizing vitamin D).

Ultimately, the best route to fitness is to find what you like to do, and sounds like you've done just that.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunnerGirl
Neophyte
Member # 25883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RunnerGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jogging is more effective than elipitcal machines. When I had my injury and couldn't run, I used eliptical machines and noticed less calories were being burned than running. It really all depends how fast you do it. Eliptical machines don't have the factor of gravity as does jogging. When you jog, you are forced to lift up your legs over and over, burning more calories. That is also why it is more difficult.

Anway, do what is comfortable and most successful for You, because that is what will make you lose weight in the end.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I burn more calories running than I do on elliptical. but there's an important tradeoff. Running can really hurt your knees, particularly if your stride isn't very good and if you've got the wrong shoes on. I did a 5k and I was training in some bad shoes. from my knees to my hips, my legs were hurting. I have a tendency to pronate (place weight on the outside of my foot, so my stride is kinda off. But I went to a good shoe store and got fitted for some shoes to correct the problem. I run a lot better now, my legs don't hurt, my knees are happy and the shoes weren't too expensive. They were like $85, but it's a good price to pay considering my $39.99 shoes were killing my knees.

as for elliptical, you can get a dang good workout if you adjust the resistance enough, and there's no impact on your joints really. it's smooth but effective. you don't have to be in a lot of pain to get a good workout. a little is nice but it's good to be able to walk the net day.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
keep in mind, too, that the calorie counters on cardio machines like treadmills and elliptical trainers are doomed to be inaccurate, more of a rough estimate than anything else. the machines don't collect nearly enough information about you to accurately assess your metabolic rate.

so if you're trying to get a good workout, it's much better to judge it by how you feel and how hard you're working (ie sweating, breathing, heart rate). a lot of people say that you work as hard on an elliptical as on a treadmill but because the elliptical is easier on your joints, you feel like it's easier overall. i'm not sure how i feel about that. but it's nice not to hurt my knees.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locomotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.