Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » can't poop..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can't poop..
onehipwoman
Neophyte
Member # 21167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onehipwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if this is in the wrong thread. I apoligize in advance if it is. Okay. Here is my deal.

I do believe I am constipated. I just cant poop. But I was wondering if that would make me get stomache aches and headaches?

I don't know why I would be constipated, I really haven't ever been before. What exactly makes a person constipated? My mom seems to think I am not eating right, and said to eay 'grain-y' foods to help.. would that help? And if it is all about what I eay, what should I stay away from and eat more of?

*:..+..Thanks..+..:*

Posts: 20 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that foods rich in fibers help you poop. . .have you tried x-lax? That helps specifically for your problem.
Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelgirl1
Neophyte
Member # 24178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your mother is right. Whole grains and anything with a lot of fiber contains bulk, which basically carries the bowel processes along. Try to stay away from a lot of starch and dairy at this time, if possible.

And you may have to take a laxative if you really can't do it, or see a doctor.

Posts: 23 | From: Falls Church, VA, United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree w/ the above comments ... Fiber is key. Fruits and veggies and stuff ... And lots of water!! Exercise can help things along too, even if it's just walking.

Talk to your pharmacist if you're interested in a laxative. Some are much nicer on the gastrointestinal system than others.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fruits and vegetables have already been indicated. Foods that might be especially helpful include but are not limited to beans (like kidney, pinto, black beans and chickpeas); fruits with the skin on (berries are particularly useful); nuts and seeds; brussels sprouts and carrots. You should try to eat fiber regularly to promote regularity. And drink LOTS of water with meals, especially if your system isn't accustomed to a high fiber intake.

Some people opt for high fiber cereal (>5g fiber per serving). You can buy a fairly inexpensive store version at Trader Joe's. My daily fiber intake is pretty high as it is thanks to fruits and vegetables, so I have no use for it, but my mother swears by high fiber cereal. Gradually switching to less refined versions of grains (i.e. wholemeal bread, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice) also increases fiber intake. Oatmeal is generally 100% whole grain.

Basically, limiting processed foods and replacing them with less refined versions would probably be your best bet, but keep in mind that limiting doesn't mean eliminating Cheese, meat, processed breads, cookies, crackers and chips generally don't do much to help the digestive system.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fluffypink
Neophyte
Member # 25093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fluffypink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on a side note - ive always wondered, if youre pregnant and constipated - is it harmful to the baby if you push/strain?
Posts: 22 | From: miss, on, canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. While women DO need to use the same muscles to help push the baby out, the uterus does a great deal of the work through contractions. If you're not having contractions AND pushing at the same time, it's not likely you're going to get anywhere.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 08-26-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Umikun 13
Neophyte
Member # 25481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Umikun 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Girl:
I've heard that foods rich in fibers help you poop. . .have you tried x-lax? That helps specifically for your problem.

Just don't take a sleeping pill on the same night. (You on the following morning if you do -> )

------------------
As president, you will have one day being sworn in and four years being sworn at.

Posts: 3 | From: Sodegaura, Chiba, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.