Donate Now
  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » poison ivy

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: poison ivy
cheeky
Neophyte
Member # 23002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheeky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have poison ivy all over my chest, arms, legs and face and i've had it for about a week. i've been using this lotion and trying to squeeze the puss out but everyday it itches even more and it spreads even more. HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?!?!?!
Posts: 26 | From: miami beach fl usa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHOA!

Stop squeezing them !! THAT'S how you're spreading them.

From what i remember of poison ivy, there is no pus ... It's clear fluid. Are you sure this is poison ivy? Have you seen a doctor?

Keep using the lotion ... Try to avoid scratching at all costs. See your doctor.


Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For starters, I don't think squeezing infected areas is recomended anywhere, as it can lead to further irritation and more possible infection.

Scratching poison ivy blisters on its own won't spread the rash, but the rash can spread internally and pop up in other areas on the skin.

The poison ivy rash typically last about two weeks, sometimes more sometimes less. And actually, the best methods to curing it that I've heard are the more natural, tolerate it and leave it alone methods.

It's also recomended you avoid topical steroid creams (many anti-itch creams are topical steroids) because they supress the immune system and poison ivy is not one of the worse things you may ever need to use a topical cream for.

If the irritation is really bad, see a doctor. They may recomend and prescribe a topical steroid cream if they assess your case and feel that's what is appropriate, but you can get over poison ivy without the use of one. Also, depending on the case, there are other methods of treatment only available through a doctor if the rash is really severe.

A trick I've heard that works is hot water and a lot of calamine lotion until the rash clears itself up in a week or so. Both of these are just tricks to relieve yourself of symptoms, not of the actual rash, until it clears by itself. In fact, most treatments you'll find, whether they be creams or drugs or whatever else are usually only ones that hely cut down the symptoms.

But really, if it's bothering you this much and continuing to spread, seeing a doctor would be my best recomendation, because they'll be able to best help you if it's really serious.


Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, last I checked, there was no pus involved in poison ivy.

Apparently, an effective home remedy is washing the affected area with Tide laundry detergent mixed with water. My sister has terrible reactions to poison ivy and our doctor recommended it to us. Has to be Tide though, not any other brand. Don't know what's so special about it, but it works. I'd keep it away from the face, though.

Seriously, though, if you've got it everywhere really bad, you should see your doctor. I've never heard of poison ivy getting all over one's body like that.


Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwyl
Neophyte
Member # 23422

Icon 10 posted      Profile for hwyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a veteran poison ivy survior, there is a pus factor. It tends to be orangey and hardens into a disgusting crust.

As others have said, messing with your rash is only going to make it hurt and itch worse, if not actively spread it. Try mixing some aloe and water in a spray bottle and spraying it on and sitting in front of a fan. Cooling. If you don't have sensitive skin or friends, apple cider vinegar can be a G-dsend. If you do have sensitive skin (or don't care to reek of vinegar), try a thick paste of aloe, water, and baking soda. I tend to set off little baking soda and white vinegar valcanoes all over my skin to simulate itching but that's not a very good idea. Cough.

If the rash is really bad or it's just driving you mad, see your doctor who can confirm that it is poison ivy and then hook you up with a tube of stuff, like I end up doing every summer.

Also, if you tend ot get poison ivy like mad, I'd watch out for neighbours with brush fires. Many will burn poison ivy, and the hyperallergic can get it like this (even spreading into your mouth, which is, I promise, a total treat).


Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freckles_Kat
Neophyte
Member # 23652

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Freckles_Kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A reaction to poison ivy is different for everyone. For myself, being severly alergic to it, I am forced to get prescription corticosteroid creams and I've also been forced to take pills to get rid of it. My last exposure lasted almost 2 months, and it spread all over my body. My friend who was with me outside had a reaction about the size of a quarter on her leg!

Poison Ivy will ooze and puss. If you scratch it, it will get worse. The best thing to do is go see your doctor. See one who knows what poison ivy is, because not all are that aware. You can buy over the counter cortisone creams which will help, but may not be enough if the reaction is large. Make sure to wash your clothes that were originally exposed, as well as anything that you have worn since. Poison ivy oil can last on your clothes for over a year if you do not wash them properly or at all. Try to let the poison ivy breathe. If you are wearing tight clothes that are rubbing, then it will get worse. Picking at your poison ivy and popping it will make it worse.

I've had it so bad my eyes have swollen shut. I've had it from head to toe everywhere and anywhere. It sucks. If the scratching is so bad that you can't concentrate in school or work or whereever, take something to control it but try as hard as possible not to scratch it.


Posts: 1 | From: Montreal Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3