Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » winter dry skin or something else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: winter dry skin or something else?
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

okay, i searched the forums for rashes, itchy skin, etc.. but what turned up didn't really help me that much. so...

i live in the south and the weather down here has just recently (as in last few weeks) gone from cool and humid to cold and dry. add turning the heater on indoors and you can imagine how this can affect one's skin.

well, a few weeks ago i noticed this large oval shaped red, dry scaly patch of skin between my neck and shoulders on the left side. it didn't really itch other than the typical dry skin itch. i put extra lotion on it and didn't worry about it too much. well, about a week later, i noticed similar but smaller red scaly patches underneath my breasts and on my mid-section. since then, more and more are cropping up and started showing on the underside of my arms and below my arm pits.

at first, my mom and i thought maybe it was just severely dry skin or a touch of eczema (my sister has it). but now i'm not so sure. sometimes they itch (but my skin in general is a little itchy this time of year because it is so dry) but nothing severe. just enough to be annoying and uncomfortable at times.

what bothers me most is how it keeps spreading. i am going to see my doctor next week (for a check up) and will definitely ask her about this but in the meantime, i wondered if anyone could give me some suggestions on soothing my skin?

here is what i'm already doing:
-bathing/showering in warm water for a short time.
-applying a heavy moisturizer all over my body after bathing- non perfumed or dyed kind
-wearing cotton clothes that aren't too tight
-we wash our clothes in All free and clear detergent (because my sister's eczema can get bad, we started using that several years ago).
-using a cortisone cream when the itchies get bad.

what else can i do to ease the itchies? this is really irritating! does anyone else have problems with winter dry skin/rashes?

thanks!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! That sounds really uncomfy!

I'm glad you're going to get it checked out soon.

In the meantime, i think you're doing everything right. You might also want to try ice (or cold cloths) and calamine lotion.

Hope you feel better soon !

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.