Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » out of curiosity...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: out of curiosity...
MASKCOLE
Neophyte
Member # 10716

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MASKCOLE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, if someone thinks they've OD'd on something and they phone their local poison hotline, does the line have rights to turn that person over to the police for illegal use of drugs? Or might the hotline send out an ambulance to your home or make a big scene? My friends and I were wondering this over a convo about drugs and what not. Thanks for all your replys in advance... :-)
Posts: 30 | From: Orlando, Fl., U.S.A | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazy_sexy_cool
Neophyte
Member # 13617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazy_sexy_cool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I dunno what a local posion hotline is (we don't get any of those where I live), but I reckon if you call up a hospital and say you've O.D'd they'd send an ambulance. Then, once you're in the hospital they have to ask routine questions, which could more than likely end in them contacting the police.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark with my answer, out of common sense though I'm giving my answer. Coz if, for example, a woman is admitted to a hospital having sustained physical injuries which resulted in physical abuse, after the routine questions asked (i.e how were they caused etc), and it is discovered it's due to physical abuse, the hospital contacts the police right?

That's why I assume it's kinda the same situation..

Posts: 36 | From: End of the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably depends on where you live. I am sure in many places the hospital would contact the police and legal action would ensue, but in other places its much different.

The only person I knew who od'd (he was an aquaintence of an aquaintence at a party) actually got a lot of help. We live in Portland OR, and he was on the oregon health plan. He od's on heroin (a HUGE problem in Portlant) and they paid for his hospital stay and rehabilitation.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.