Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Drying foods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drying foods
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi hi! You see, I've gone on a food drying frenzy lately. Well, I've dried everything but the family pet and I've run out of fruits and veggies. Does anyone have any ideas. I want to know if sweet potatoes can be dried as well. I"m going on a week long camping trip in a few days and this would all be very helpful. Thanky

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, fairie. Some if my favorite dried fruits and vegetables are cranberries, grapes (raisins), coconut, apples, mango (yummy!), papaya, cherries, apricots, beef (beef jerky), peaches, tomatoes (sun-dried tomatoes, virtually every fruit and vegetable can be dried, as long as it appeals to your taste. Know something like strawberries would shrivel to a very small size, but, its worth a try! As for your question about drying sweet potatoes, yes you can dry them, too! Like I said, practically anything can be dried.

Hope this bit helped, and good luck on the camping trip.

Kittylouise711
~"It's nice to meet a man with such fine taste."
~"Woman."
~"Whatever."

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone give us a quick how-to on drying foods? They make really good snacks, and if I do it myself it'd be way cheaper

------------------
"...and so, son, that's how babies are made!"
"But Dad, what about the machinery?"
"We'll get to that when you're older."
(The Fairly Oddparents)

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To dry foods, you can (I think) lay them in the sun. Though I'm not sure it'll work, it's worth a try. Another way is to purchase a food-dehydrator. One brand is Magic Chef.
Here are a few websites you can go to.

(For low prices, go here -> )www.goodmans.net

pleasanthillgrain.com
www.nesco.com
www.HarvestEssentials.com
www.kitchenorganics.com

You can get more websites at www.google.com, keyword, "purchasing food dehydrators".

Hope this bit helps!

Kittylouise711

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Those two websites are:
www.pleasanthillgrain.com

and
www.goodmans.net

Sorry about that boo-boo.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.