Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Winsor Pilates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winsor Pilates
ThunderCloud16
Activist
Member # 510

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ThunderCloud16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am wondering if there are any people out there who have tried Winsor Pilates, and what have your results been? I see it on tv all the time and am really looking into buying it, cause i really need to find something to help me lose weight.
Posts: 74 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First up, talk to your doctor and ask him/her whether it is necessary for you to lose weight, and then get checked up to make sure you are healthy enough for a new workout routine.

I ran a search on pilates, here's what i came up with:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000657.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000018.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000080.html

Alaska, dahling, you do Pilates, right? any input?

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gaea
Neophyte
Member # 10970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually not one for infomercials, but I ended up trying Winsor Pilates last summer. The tapes were my mother's and I used them consistently (3-5 days a week) for about two months, and started to see some definition in my stomach muscles by the end. The exercices are difficult, and can be hard on your back if you don't do them correctly. It's something I would stay away from entirely if you've had any kind of back or neck problems, but at any rate, as Gumdrop Girl said, you should talk to your doctor. I definitely liked the program, but not enough to shell out that much money for my own set, although I would consider taking a Pilates class at a gym.
Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nacarter
Neophyte
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nacarter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly agree with talking to your doctor first. This helps you better define the needs and wants of your fitness program.

Secondly, don't get too keyed up about 'results' from just pilates. Keep in mind that most fitness instructors look great because they have an integrated fitness regimen that includes pilates as a component. If you're looking to improve upon your results talk to your instructor about their program. You'll find that there is a fair amount of cardio and some weight training involved. Adding components will improve your fitness results.

I will warn though, that you don't want to copy another person's program. When it comes to fitness everybody is different. Experimenting with different components will allow you to find the best activities and proportions to fit your schedule and your fitness needs.

Posts: 23 | From: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AH!! I'm sooo glad I found this thread! I was wondering the same thing. My aunt does pilates, she also eats really healthy so I guess that helps in her results. My mom's an RN and said that pilates won't hurt me, and I'm in my "ideal weight zone." I also ride a horse for an hour or more everyday, but that doesn't really concentrate on my abs! Pesky little boogers they are!

I also have a membership to 24 hour fitness, yet I havent been since January. I'm thinking my personal trainer is going, "where the h*ll is she [me]?"
Which actually I have a question about, I only took a few sessions with my personal trainer, and I wanna go back to the gym and train with her, but I'm kind of whimpy since she called me a few times in February, but I was really sick and never returned any of her calls. What would be the most polite way to call and tell her I wanna set up sessions again with her??

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just call your trainer, explain that you were ill and fell out of your workout routine, and tell her that you really want to get back on it. i'm sure she would be glad to help you out again.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
Alaska, dahling, you do Pilates, right? any input?

Totally missed that, Gummy.

Yeah, I did Pilates, after books, for a little while ages ago, but while it felt good, I felt like I needed an instructor, which I could not find in this small blackforest town - and even if there was one, there is no way I could afford it. So I don't do it anymore, even though I think it's a good exercise program.

These days, I do various kinds of Yoga, and think what I found to be true for this is valid for Pilates as well: you can only get the best out of it, with a qualified and certified instructor. Books and Videos are cool to get a first look at whether moving a certain way might fit you, but ultimately, you need someone who can correct you and make sure you're doing exercises which differ from usual gym exercises (and the whole idea of the Powerhouse, and how to use muscles, is different to old fashioned gym stuff) correctly.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Anya: "Well, at first it was confusing. Just the idea of computers was like, whoa, I'm eleven hundred years old. I had trouble adjusting to the idea of Lutherans."
Tara:"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's depressing."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondie17
Activist
Member # 12155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondie17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a dancer... and i was forced to do pilates a couple years back for an hour everyday of the week as another class i had 2 take. i say forced because i really didnt enjoy it. maybe its just me but i found it really really boring. working out it is one thing... lying on the floor learning how to "imprint your pelvis" is completely different. they say it gives u a dancer's body.... DANCE gives u dancers body... and it is true that many ballet schools including some of the most famous and prestigious have pilates classes but offered to the older dancers.. whose bodies generally already have the shape they do from years of dance training.... great marketing scheme i must admit but has yet 2 win me over... ill stick to my dance and kick boxing thank you!

------------------
~BlOnDiE~

Posts: 60 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with Pilates is that it's all about correct form and precision, so that you're stretching or working out very specific muscles or muscle groups without overstraining or "cheating" by using other muscles to do the work.

That's why (before it got trendy) it was often used remedially for people who had dance or sports injuries.

The hazard with Pilates is that it's become very very popular very fast, after decades of being a well-kept secret. Which means that there's a lot of demand and relatively few properly qualified teachers.

So if you're interested, it's really a good idea to check out in detail the qualifications of any teacher or video instructor you're considering.

At the moment, there's no national certification standards, so anyone can claim to be a Pilates teacher. And copying an underqualified or misinformed instructor is a quick route to getting injured (at worst) or (at best) just not getting any benefits.

The same goes for some of the forms of yoga that have had a sudden spurt in popularity, such as ashtanga. There are aerobics instructors who go on one weekend course and then set themselves up as yoga teachers ...

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.