Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » muscle spasms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: muscle spasms
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get muscle spasms alot in my feet and sometimes on my left leg at the back of it (I think it's called the calf lol).

Anyways I was wondering why do my feet always have muscle spasms? It hurts alot and gets quite annoying. And the rare time I get it in my calf it hurts SOOO much, like really unbearable, let's just say AGONIZING, and it lasts for a while. It's only happened 2 or three times, and both times I was either sleeping or lying down.

So what causes these, and how could I prevent them? Could it be a sign of something serious, is it something I should tell my doctor. I get it in my feet alot and it's been happening for a while now. (it happened 3 times in the last hour, and the one time there were 2 spots in my foot that were 'spasming')<--if thats even a word.

Anyways thanks for the help.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey celery
sounds to me like you might be experiencing a "charley horse" or simply a muscle cramp. yes, they are very painful. i've gotten them before and it seems like the only thing you can do about it is wait it out.

here is a link to webmd.com with some additional info: http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/177/55843

take note to the part about msucle cramps in the legs. seems there is a connection between them and pointing your toes.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roziline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
indeed, muscle cramps.

When i get them i just walk them off. I often get them after running or walking for a while. But just flexing them for long enough can give you it. Try walking around for a bit. Helps me alot.

------------------
Isn't it ironic. Don't you think?

Posts: 68 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes these cramps are from potassium deficancy. Try eating a banana.
They can also be caused by sudden growth. alternating heat and ice may help if streaching doesn't

Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cel, don't worry, it's not likely ot be serious. i get the cramps inmy calves too. it's excruciating pain, but it's nothing a banana and a more consistent workout couldn't relieve.

I get the cramps when i start working out after not doing so for a while. when it cramps up, I use a vibrating massager (they're not always sex toys, y'know ) to relax the muscle. then i rub and knead it down till it feels good as new.

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ugh, I used to get terrible muscle cramps in my calves when I was pregnant. I'm allergic to bananas, so I'd always have to stretch them out.

How I'd relieve them was I'd sit on the floor with my legs stretched out in front of me, then pull my toes as far toward my body as I could. If the muscle was cramping too hard and I couldn't do it, I'd pull the ball of my foot towards me with my hands. This stretches out the muscle that's cramping and would either hurt a whole lot or feel fabulous when I was doing it.

If the cramp is at the entire back of your leg, grasp the part of your leg beneath the knee, and bend at the waist as far as you can while keeping your knees straight.

My doctor said that extra calcium and potassium (milk and bananas) are effective in preventing cramps, and having a regular exercise program (walking, running, sports, what have you) can keep your muscles toned and healthy.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eat more potassium (SP?). My doctor told me to do the same thing, cause I get them REALLY bad, and I ride horses so when I get them while riding it's like. "OH JUST SHOOT ME!" But If you don't like bananas like me, eat strawberries. Apparently they have more potassium than bananas. Good Luck!

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard this confirmed from several people (though I haven't had a chance to try it as luckily I don't get them very often) that if you have a charley horse in one calf after waking up, immediately jump out of bed _onto the other foot_. This, supposedly, cures it. I suppose it can't hurt even if it doesn't work
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as someone who routinely gets cramped calves in her sleep, and is less-than-coordinated upon awakening, i assure you jumping out of bed that quickly will only ensure that you'll fall over

a muscle cramps because there's a sort of electrical short going on in the muscle. potassium is necessary for nerve synapses, including those that control muscle movement. calcium is also important for muscle movement. If there's anything disrupting the levels of either, you can have painful muscle spasms, which is why it's so important to get enough of both.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
incidentally, i got a mad calf cramp this morning as i was waking. or rather, i was asleep, and the nasty cramp was a rude awakening. so just to test what i said earlier, i hopped out of bed onto theo pposite foot.

as it turns out, i was right. i am quite retarded in the morning (literal sense of the word) and i had a lot of trouble keeping my balance. not to mention, the crampy leg was still in excruciating pain. so i grabbed a vibrating massager off the nightstand (i do keep vibrators next to my bed, but since i use them for my leg cramps, you might say i'm kinda boring like that) and soothed the cramp. It still kinda hurts. I need to go to the gym more and buy some orange juice.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There i another possibality. If you wear high heal shoes an lot it can put extra stress on your feet and calf muscles. Make sure your shoes have adiquate arch suport and that they fit correctly too. It may sound silly but that may be th cause of the problem
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra
Neophyte
Member # 13090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get those... I haven't had one in a couple months though. I used to get them in my legs, whichever one... most of the time when I was doing butterfly. Unfortunately nothing works for mine, I was in water and couldn't even put weight on it. I sorta just hoped around while the rest of my swim team just ignored me.. jerks. I also get them in my feet, have since I was little. The last time was swimming once again, but however I didn't do anything. My foot just went and my toe went straight down because well the muscle froze that way. It was kinda funny to watch my boyfriend freak out, he's like lets get you out of the water. I'm like don't you dare.. it was like he had never seen a muscle cramp before. I usually just wait them out or scream, and massaging is always good too.
Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BananaBoatSC
Neophyte
Member # 12348

Icon 7 posted      Profile for BananaBoatSC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, muscle cramps are caused from Potassium deficiency, and muscle spasms are normally from a Vitamin D or/and Iron Deficiency. Just up your milk, banana, and strawberry intake and maybe consider adding a supplement to your diet if they continue. Also be sure that before and after strenuous exercise (running, bike riding, dancing ect.)you always throughly stretch your muscles and don't over do things when exercising. Just listen to your body and they will get better. ~Hannah
Posts: 28 | From: Columbia, SC, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.