Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Helpo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helpo
colourplayhouse
Neophyte
Member # 11505

Icon 5 posted      Profile for colourplayhouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here have any graphs etc that determine the healthy weight for teenage girls? Or what is a 14yr old girl who is 163cm and 59kgs?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostAnDelirious7
Neophyte
Member # 11721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LostAnDelirious7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a few, but they're all in ft/inches and lbs... I'll post them anyways, and hopefully you know how to figure it out:
http://www.dohealth.com/modules/assessment/CalculateBodyMassIndex.asp
http://blueprint.bluecrossmn.com/topic/bmicalc

http://drkoop.com/template.asp?page=ibw&ap=93

[This message has been edited by LostAnDelirious7 (edited 04-02-2003).]

Posts: 14 | From: NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, please remember that those types of charts mean absolutely nothing in relation to you. Honestly, those charts are notoriously wrong. Not everybody has the same body type, bone structure, and genetic make-up.

Want to know how to determine what weight you really should be? It's quite easy. Do you feel healthy? If you feel healthy, and your doctor hasn't indicated to you that your weight is compromising your health...then there's a pretty good chance that you're the weight that you should be. Really dear, there's no point in worrying about those kinds of charts. Lots of perfectly healthy people don't fall within the bounds of those charts because the charts don't take so many things into account. Honestly, if you eat a reasonably healthy diet and get a reasonable amount of exercise...then you should trust your body to decide what weight it needs to be at.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, Miz S cites the Dr. Koop chart in this thread http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000007.html

I wouldn't say they mean absolutely nothing, but they aren't the gospel truth. not everybody adheres to that standard, it's just supposed to offer a general idea. but the important thing is to talk to your doctor, ask if you are healthy, and ask whether or not if you are overweight. If you are, then ask if you are currently at risk for any of the associated ailments (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc)

------------------
Qu es el dealio?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Gumdrop, I wasn't clear in what I was referring to. I should have been more specific.

There is a difference between weight (which is what I assumed the user was asking for charts about) and body mass (what LostAnDelirious7 linked to and Miz Scarlet talked about in that thread). I read the question as the user asking for charts addressing a healthy weight rather than a healthy body mass.

------------------
KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you explain the difference, Kitten, just so we understand what we're dealing with here?

The calculators, though claiming to measure differently from the old weight charts, seem to use the same criteria (with the exception of the Dr Koop one, which considers wrist-finger size ratio, and another which, oddly enough requests to know a person's ethnic background, and then seems to disregard it), and just phrase the results slightly differently. Confusing!

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Sink, swim, go down with the ship, but use your freedom of choice!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Yeah, no problem...I was just talking to Heather about the difference this afternoon.

Weight = what your scale says

Body Mass = "Body mass index (BMI) is measure of body fat based on height and weight" (according to the National Institutes of Health).

In the case of the first two charts in the links...they give you your BMI, rather than addressing weight. Dr. Kroop's chart apparently also calculates your ideal weight while taking into account your calculated BMI, which I suppose might make it a bit more reasonable than your old run of the mill "ideal weight" charts (which is what I thought the user was asking for here).

------------------
KittenGoddess

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To specify further: body weight is not at all a relible indicator of health or fitness.

Because simple weight measures muscle and fat, and because muscle weighs more than fat, a fitter peron may well weigh more than someone who is less fit. To boot, all simple weight tends to relate to is appearance: what a person weighs, again, is of just no use when it comes to looking at if you need to change your habits.

BMI is limited too, but it's a lot more useful if you want the most general guage, because it estimates fat in relative isolation to muscle mass.

Again, neither is really all that helpful when it comes to health and well-being, and knowing how one might need to change bodycare. For that, one's best bet is talking to a doctor, experiencing how you feel in your physical body, your own general health, etc.

Overll, in my experince, weight charts tend to end up serving the same purpose calorie counters did/do: to basically feed obsessions about lookism, and about food, and about fitting a very limited model -- basically ED-type behaviours.

Best bet, IMO is that if you don't feel as good as you should or look as good as you'd like, you look at your own activity levels and what you're putting into your body and make healthy adjustments. Charts don't help with that.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feeleebubs
Neophyte
Member # 12411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feeleebubs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't rely too much on those. I've taken them several times and they are the biggest smack in the face you could ever get on the internet. I'm am overweight, I am aware, but a size 14-16 is not what I would consider to be "extremely obese". Unless you like being told you are a beached whale, don't take fill out those BMI calculators. They'll give you an eating dissorder or something. Those meter's don't take into consideration other things like muscle, and build which a few other people mentioned.
Posts: 17 | From: Joliet, IL, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think looking at the big picture can be helpful in knowing if you have a healthy body for your age and height.

Things to consider instead of weight are cholestoral levels, blood pressure and cardio ability. These can be measured by a doctor.

Also consider eating sensibily (5-7 servings of vegetables and fruits per day, whole wheat grains, low fat protein sources, avoiding poor nutrient sources of food like fast food, soda, etc...) and having an active lifestyle (30 min per day 7 days a week -could be as easy as brisk walking).

Think about your family history in terms of diabetes, heart disease, cancer risks.

If those issues are of concern to you, do your reseearch. Contact the national associations and learn what you can do.

Health is not about a number on a scale.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.