Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Dandruff... How to get rid of it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dandruff... How to get rid of it?
Sorrow of wind bird sky
Neophyte
Member # 12191

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sorrow of wind bird sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My shoulders are often covered with my dandruff, which makes myself look somehow unclean. (especially when I am in dark color clothes) And my scalp itches so often that I have to scratch it in front of others... When I am sleeping, the scalp itches more and I have to wash my hair one more time even I already took a bath and washed my head at the same day...

Is there some kind of medicine, or diet that I should take, or exercises on the scalp, that can prevent the appearance and disturbance of the dandruff?

Is dandruff inherited from parents (my deceased mother has a scalp that has a color of whiteness, no kidding... She wanted me to apply some kind of medicine on her scalp, and it never worked...)

Posts: 35 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, don't wash your hair more to try to get rid of the dandruff. All that washing may dry out and further irritate your scalp.

There are a number of things you can try. A common "home remedy" is to steep rosemary in hot water (like making a tea with it), then strain it and let it cool, and use that as a rinse right before you get out of the shower.

Then there are shampoos (we have "Head and Shoulders" here) that are specifically meant to help with dandruff. You just follow the directions on the bottle. There are tar-based shampoos, too, for very tough cases (like Neutrogena "T-Gel" shampoo), but they can be harsh, so if a mild dandruff shampoo doesn't help, I'd say it might be time to see a dermatologist about it.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the active ingredient in Head and Shoulders (which I an find in Thailand, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't available in Canadadadadada) is pyrithione zinc. That is the active ingredient in most dandruff shampoos. I use Head and Shoulders, and it works for me.

The tar-based stuff is definitely harsh and its smell is definitely something appalling. I've used Neutrogena T-gel, and it is some nasty stuff.

There are prescription treatments if your dandruff is severe. Nizoral is a medicated shampoo that is used to treat severe dandruff.

As for general stuff, don't wash your hair with really hot water. Hot water dries your scalp. Use conditioner. It'll help moisten your scalp. and don't do as I do and scratch your head all the time (it's a bad habit )

------------------
Qu es el dealio?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Selsun Blue tar-based? I've found that it works for me, but it smells like death. Also, if you have really thick hair (or even if you don't, but especially if you do) it could be that your scalp itches because you're not rinsing all the shampoo out, so that's pretty important. That's a problem I had, until I cut my hair and had an easier time getting all the shampoo out.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to confirm Gummie's assumption, Head and Shoulders shampoo is available in most groceries and pharmacies in Canada.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feeleebubs
Neophyte
Member # 12411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feeleebubs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh finnally someone else with my problem! I have terrible dandruff. I understand your pain. I not only have it on my head, but the rest of my forehead, ears and nose are also quite flakey. I used Head and Shoulders for a while and it felt like it was doing something. It always felt tingly (or painful where I had open wounds from the flakey condition) but it never actually proved to me to be effective. My dandruff was still very much present. Don't wash your hair every day; It will dry out your hair and scalp (no matter what kind of hair or scalp you have). But don't wash it to little and give the flakes time to build up either. I also tried that liquid stuff your supposed to pour and leave on your scalp. I don't remember what it's called, but it didn't worl for me.

Someone mentioned T-Gel and said it was nasty stuff. I will say this: It hurts like heck when you get it in your eyes. But I've been using T-sal by nutrogena. It's an extra strength dandruff shampoo, and after a few uses, my dandruff is soooo much better. I really can't believe it. It's really worth it for me. Because dandruff can make you look uncleanly for some reason and it's not fun to feel like people think your dirty.

Posts: 17 | From: Joliet, IL, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
feeleebus, just a sidenote: if you have have "dandruff" like skin on your ears, forehead and nose, you should definitely think about getting yourself looked at by a dermatologist. - just to be sure what's up there.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: Well, I'm not good and I'm okay.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let you know that Nizoral shampoo is available over the counter now(at least in Ireland anyway).

The one available over the counter is slightly less potent than the prescribed version, but I had to use it and it is wonderful for dandruff.

And a few of my friends had the same reaction to it.

It attacks the yeasts that cause dandruff.

I found it brilliant.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coldplayer
Activist
Member # 12431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coldplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to have such bad dandruff a few years ago, i couldnt believe how well 'head and sholders' worked for me, and i havent had a flake since
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.