Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » She says I'm anorexic...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: She says I'm anorexic...
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinyere85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend yells at me for my eating habits. Pretty much it has been this school year alone that she has, but...I don't know. I didn't think my eating habits were all that bad...not perfect, by far, but not that bad. She even claimed that I was anorexic, though I deny it. But, after that claim, I began to wonder if perhaps I was anorexic...or something. It doesn't make sense to anyone I talk to, but here it goes...

My average weekday includes no breakfast, maybe water for lunch, a small snack of perhaps an apple or a bowl of grapes when I get home, and for dinner, an average bowl of salad and perhaps some chicken or soup.

And it would be so easy if people could tell me to eat more, and I did, but...I really don't have the appetite for anymore than what is stated above. For instance, I ate lunch today, but I had to force myself to eat it...I felt no hunger. Especially if I don't eat breakfast (which I never have little/no time for, because I leave the house at about 6:55am), I don't get hungry until dinner time...and once I eat only a little, I can't eat anymore.

And it may sound like I'm just rationalizing, but this is seriously the way I feel. I don't know why...all I can guess is that it stems from when I was seriously overweight...before I lost 50, not all honestly...and bad eating habits stem from that weight loss period. I dunno. I don't know if it's a psychological fear of gaining, or if I successfully shrunk my stomach as I attempted to do years ago.

Whatever it is, I think it's having an effect on my health, because I seriously can't eat that much. The frien who claims I'm anorexic, is 105lbs, significantly less than me, and she eats way more than I do.

Right now, we have fairly similar activity levels...moderate to high. I don't know...maybe I've answered my own question. No doctors have ever helped me out with this kind of thing because they look at the weight in the charts and figure I'm okay...argh, so frustrating.

------------------
"Baby, To me your like a growing / Addiction I can't deny / Now would you tell me, is that healthy, baby?" -- Seal, Kiss From a Rose

Posts: 55 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends are often notoriously good at looking out for you, so if your friend feels you have a problem, and is harping on about it, then perhaps you do you need to sit up and pay attention. And doing that would involve getting yourself to a doctor. ASAP. Only your doc can do a full assessment of your diet and exercise and any other health issues and decide what is right for you.

But, I would be willing to bet that s/he would be strongly encouraging you to eat breakfast. It really, truly is the most important meal of your day, as it is literally breaking the "fast". It gives you the energy you need for the day. And even if you don't feel you need it, you wouldn't be going astray to get some fuel into yourself anyway. I can't eat breakfast for ages after I wake up, so why not wait, and try eating it after 6.55am? On the way to school/work??

If you truly feel that you do not have an any appetite, and you cannot possibly eat, that it something you will definitely need to mention to your doctor. Aside from contributing directly to the state of your health, a loss of apetite has been known to signal other problems.

Finally, why not check out this thread: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000548.html

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, if all you're eating is salad, "perhaps" an apple or grapes, and "perhaps" some chicken or soup, that's not going to provide sufficient nourishment for anyone.

Does that mean you're anorexic? Not necessarily; it's perfectly possible that there are physical reasons for your loss of appetite, which is one reason why, as Zanney says, you should talk to your doctor about this. Or it could be, as you say, that you've just got stuck in bad eating habits - and if you're habitually eating very little, then that it itself can cause your stomach to balk at a full meal.

Or it could be that there are emotional and psychological reasons involved.

But whatever the cause, eating that little just ain't good for you (and trust me, I know, having gone through patches of having no appetite and eating very little when I had a long-term physical illness).

If you just have a very limited appetite, then there are a number of strategies that might help. For example, making sure that you eat lots of very small snacks throughout that day - that can help you get in a fair amount of nourishment without ever making you feel uncomfortably full. And http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000300.html has some handy tips on substitutes if you can't face solid food at breakfast time.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend trying 'Ensure' shakes or other drinks of that sorts. It definately sounds like you aren't getting adequate nutrition and those suppliment drinks would provid you with the vitamins and minerals you need to grow and stay healthy
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Shy One:
I'd recommend trying 'Ensure' shakes or other drinks of that sorts. It definately sounds like you aren't getting adequate nutrition and those suppliment drinks would provid you with the vitamins and minerals you need to grow and stay healthy

While those drinks may provide supplimental nutrition, I'd not advise you rely on them to provide you with the nutrients you're not getting. As others have suggested, you should consult your doctor about your eating habits. Those shakes do provide nutrients, however some of them will not be absorbed as well as they would if they came from normal food. So don't take them as a substitute for real nutrition, and don't expect to get your full nutrition from them.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinyere85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I would have responded sooner, but school kicked my tooshie this week. Owwie! ;-)

Anyway, thanks for all of the insight, and yes, I will be seeing my new doctor by Mar. 3, so I'll talk to her about my eating habits. I've been trying on my own to make better eating habits...driving to school while eating a pop tart or something (which is not really a good idea while driving), tryig to buy lunch at school, and eating more for dinner.

My dilemma is that, at home, there is so little to eat sometimes...I've been a picky eater all of my life, and so there are just things I can't stand eating everyday. My mother says there are frozen dinners, but those taste generic and nasty, and I think upset my stomach. My Dad has this thing (very Nigerian) of eating the same thing every day...rice and stew. Bam. Every day. Rice. Stew. Beef/tomato stew and rice. Chicken/tomato stew and rice. Beef and chicken with tomato stew and rice. The same thing.

I make the rice everyday, but I can only stand to eat it once or twice a week or so, because I ate it everyday of my active solid food eating life until I was about 9...then, I could eat no more. :-D

Similar things happened with apple sauce, sausages of all kinds, apple juice, grape juice, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, nectarines and deli sandwiches made from home. The only thing that I have eaten in the last 8 years is the apple sauce.

But anyway, after that long explanation of my odd eating habits, I can say that I talked to my Dad last night for a long time. My Dad only eats one meal a day, and has for as long as I've known him. Of course, he's a middle-aged man and I'm a growing teenager, so we shouldn't eat the same things. But, talking to him, it seems like he used to have the same problem I did.

His father used to scold him for not eating, and even when he was a little boy, had to sit him down and force him to eat. Hah, I remember my father sitting besides me when I was three chanting, "Eat, eat, EAT!" so it was something that I was familiar with. He says that his father would wonder why my father wouldn't eat, and my father explained that he didn't, and never has, really, felt hunger. So he could understand where I'm coming from.

I have felt hunger pangs before...really early in the morning before I wake up, or if I've eaten breakfast, but that's really all there is. Could such a thing be inherited, I wonder? Hmm...

My mother always talks about cooking more so that I'll have actual food in the house besides my dinner favorites...the chicken, if it's there, the salad, the pasta with motzerella cheese and the cans of Campbell's chunky soup (of which I eat half at a time). No way am I complaining about the food that I get...I'm very thankful that I am able to eat in the first place, and I do consider the starving. I am very content with my little bowl of soup...but at the same time, I have a very low iron count because I get so little meat each day.

I donated blood, and I was just boarderline to donate. The nurse asked me if I was a vegetarian. And I'm not.

So, she's thinking of cooking more so that it won't be up to me to disrupt myself from homework to cook something...which I'm not always willing to do when I'm on a roll.

...and that's the update. Will talk about all of this to my doctor, in addition to all of my other odd medical concerns, hah.

------------------
"Baby, To me your like a growing / Addiction I can't deny / Now would you tell me, is that healthy, baby?" -- Seal, Kiss From a Rose

Posts: 55 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried doing all your cooking on the weekends? That's what I do when I have to balance strenuous schoolwork with cooking for myself. I make a big batch of something on Sunday afternoon, and eat that for my dinner throughout the week. I know you said you don't like eating the same thing every day, but maybe you could make two things and alternate them, or alternate something you make with something your mom makes.

Another thing I've found that make good quick healthy meals are instant soup cups. Not the cup-o-noodles that have 50% of your saturated fat for the day, or the Lipton packets that are mostly salt with a few noodles, but the ones that are things like rice and beans, and lentil soup, and things like that. The kind I like are made by Fantastic Foods, and they're really good for you. One of those, a couple pieces of bread and butter, and a piece of fruit makes a perfectly satisfying meal. They're way cheaper than frozen dinners or canned soup, and they come in all different kinds so you can eat whatever you feel like eating at the moment.

I'll stop now, before I start sounding like a human advertisement.

------------------
Question authority, but realize that authority is often right.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe instead of forcing yourself to eat a larger dinner and lunch, why not heed logic's suggestion of many smaller meals throughout the day. Just have a piece of fruit or a similar snack every hour or so, and you won't actually need a huge lunch or dinner. And getting food down in small but frequent amounts tricks your mind into thinking you ate less than you actually did.

Also, why not did out some recipe books and get busy? If you go in with an open mind, and a willingness to experiment, you may find yourself cooking up some pretty neat dishes to enjoy!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Sorry again for the lag time in replying...I got into an accident on Mon 10. Kind of ironic, I spoke about driving in my last post, and I won't be driving to school anymore. ::Sigh::

Donated our car for parts, even the only thing damaged was the front left near the light...18-years-old, they couldn't fix it...too much rust, supposedly.

Anyway, I am trying the recipe thing now, eating small things throughout the day...I did have one day where I found I only ate a bag of chips, but I made up for it the next day by being able to stomach a footlong in two parts...yay Subway!

Part of my problem has been my stubborness, and I'm sorry for it. I'm still yet to appologize to my friend for being stupid and refusing to eat, and I just returned to thank you guys for helping me out.

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.