Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Personal Trainers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Personal Trainers
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ppls! Well I was just wondering what you feel about personal trainers? Did anybody have one before? If so, what were your results? Did you get the results you wanted? What did and didnt you like about personal training? Anything else you wanna add, go for it...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would prolly feel more comfortable having a personal trainer, cause i wouldnt know what i was doing...but i hear personal trainers are expensive..i dont even have the money to go to the gym!
Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are expensive. I joined Bally Total Fitness about 10 days ago, and got a personal training package to go with it. For 8 sessions it cost $376.00. but that lasts 8 weeks. I was wondering if anybody had them before so i know that I spent my money wisely. I think I did.

I had my first consultation session and it went really good, he seems to be motavating, which I need. He also asked me what my goals are..I told him to firm up and eat better, and I really dont want to lose weight because then I wouldnt exist.

I just basically want to know if anybody had one and got the results that they wanted to achive...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
<3 love forever!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't bother with a personal trainer. i thought it was a waste of my money. i don't know about you folks, but i paid attention in gym class. My gym teacher taught us basic stretches and training exercises and i've been using them since. I've gotten good results. My endurance is up and I am lifting more now than when i started. I learn by watching people. I read the instructions on the machines. I have a general idea of what I want to do with my body (working my arms or legs or whatever) and i plan my workout around that. If you are not shy, you can always ask other gym members how to use the machines. Or you can watch them till you figure it out. Got any really fit friends? have them teach you some exercises.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with a personal trainer and found it very useful. I would see her once a week. Based on ym goals she would come up with a routine. I would learn new exercies. Working on my core was one thing we consistently did and we used tools that I was not familaiar with and she helped me keep good form. When i am at the gym I am astonished by the amount of people who do exercises that are either dangerous because of bad form or just plain ineffective because they do not know what they are doing.

I appreciated how she would use a mix of new and old exercises so I was always challeneged. She would push me in ways I would not myself and was very good at reading me and figuring out what I needed. I really lucked out in terms of compatibility and her skill and talent.

I think even if you prefer training on your own going once or twice a year for a consultation is a good idea. Changing your routine every few months is very beneficial. Your body can get in a rut so to speak and what you are doing isn't as effective as it used to be. i.e. always doing standard crunches instead of changing your crunch routine (in terms of types, reps, and/or sets).

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bettie:
When i am at the gym I am astonished by the amount of people who do exercises that are either dangerous because of bad form or just plain ineffective because they do not know what they are doing.

Yes! And the people who have difform bodies because they only exercise their arms and chest! And the people who have to walk lopsided because they exercise one side more than the other... I think it's really important to be shown proper form and taught some basic principles before seriously hitting the gym. It doesn't have to be with a personal trainer. In my experience, though, there are as many gym theories as there are people who hit the gym regularly, so maybe going with someone who is paid to have some knowledge about the whole thing is better than asking a friend.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

My personal trainer IS LITERALLY KILLING ME SLOWLY! I feel like I got my kidneys ripped out of my body. Oh soooo much pain and its everytime we exercise. I have seen him 3 times already (usually once a week, but this week its 2 times). I didnt know I was so out of shape.

The pain the agonyyyyyyy.......lol

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
<3 love forever!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.