Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » The Lazy Person's Get Healthy Plan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lazy Person's Get Healthy Plan
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read this forum a ton, but there seems to be a lot of talk about dieting and loosing weight. How about, instead of trying to loose weight, we just try to get healthier.

I'm a lazy person. I've been chubby for a while and going on Depo didn't help my chub situation. I was a compulsive eater - I ate when I was happy, when I was sad, when I was angry, when I was bored... well you get the picture. All this eating didn't leave much time for exercising... or maybe I just didn't want to exercise.

In the process of me getting older and more mature, I came to realize health problems associated with obesity seemed to run in my family. I have a grandpa with type 1 diabetes on my mom's side and a grandma with type 2 diabetes on my dads. My dad has high cholesterol. Although it took 17 years to realize this, I needed to get in better shape.

It started slowly. It's hard to break old habits. You know they say if you do something 7 times it becomes a habit? Not true. Even if I went walking 7 days in a row, I had no urge to go on that 8th day.

Here's what I've learned from my "get healthy" experience.

1) Pat yourself on the back for all achievements, big or small. Congratulate yourself when you drive past McDonalds without getting a Super Size fry or when you opt to take the stairs instead of the elevator.

2) Do your best to stick to things, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. That 8th day I was talking about above? I didn't go walking that day. In fact, I sat on my butt the whole day. But on the 9th day, I got up and went walking again.

3) Set reachable goals. Notice how I've been talking about walking the whole time? I'm not ready to run just yet. My goal is to get healthier, not run a marathon.

4) Think about what you eat before you eat it, but not too hard. My rule of thumb. Read the ingredients. If you can't say it, it's probably not very good for you. But, if you get that craving for something and you can't fulfill it with anything else, go ahead and have some. A little bit probably won't hurt you. My health teacher's favorite idea: anything in moderation can be part of a healthy diet.

I've been trying to get healthier for about 6 months now. I've only lost about 10 to 15 lbs, but I feel a ton better. I wear a size 16, and that no longer bothers me. I'm doing good things for my body, and I don't care if I wear a size 22 or a size 4.

Other random things I've found: It's easier for me to focus on tasks. I'm more organized and I think a little more rational than I used to be. I think this has a lot more to do with how my attitude has changed than my getting a little healthier, but I'm happier because of it.

I wanted to tell you all about this because I see a lot of people frustrated around here with their weight or their body image. It's very hard to change your lifestyle after 10+ years of living that way. If anybody has questions or is in the same situation I'm in, I'd love to hear from you. Comments are also welcome.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
My health teacher's favorite idea: anything in moderation can be part of a healthy diet.

One of the most important factors. Emphasis on in moderation.

Good job, magpie!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5) It is much easier to stick to a healthy diet if the unhealthy items are taken out of the picture. You're more likely to pick up an apple rather than a candy bar if an apple is your only choice. If your family insists on buying unhealthy stuff, try sharing with them what you are trying to do, and see if you can't reach some sort of compromise.

6) A better diet often = more energy. More enegery often = a desire for more action (exercise). But before you get all gung-ho about doing a regular work-out, see your doctor! Please!

7) Water. Is good. Is better than soda. Is better than coffee. Is better than almost anything. Need I say more?

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magpie, that is an excellent post. Kudos to you!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take deep breaths. It sounds silly, but by taking those little whimpery breaths you'll be more short of breath later. Inhale & exhale deeply and you'll breath easy.

Not sure if this really pertains to being healthy directly, but it sure helps your breathing which is really good for you.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 01-27-2003).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i'm sitting on the floor watching the telly, i like to stretch out.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I feel stir crazy, I take my dogs for a walk. It's healthier for me and for them. And it's also amusing having 3 ankle biters and a huge dog get you tangled in their leashes. (And I thought I was in control of the situation )
Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
applet_jacks
Activist
Member # 10256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for applet_jacks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zanney:

7) Water. Is good. Is better than soda. Is better than coffee. Is better than almost anything. Need I say more?

My dad has had health problems since I before I was born (high blood pressure, and when I was in high school his liver was malfunctioning). Lately his doctor has been pressuring him about his sugar levels. He said that she mentioned that caffeinated tea can actually keep blood sugar down. Is that true at all or does anyone know?

As for healthier activity choices, I tend to chase my friends around the dorms so that makes for entertaining yet non-sedimentary conditions. I also sometimes unplug my internet cord and pretend it's broken so I have to leave home to have fun. I wish I could have a dog to walk but no dogs allowed.

Posts: 47 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeFormIdeas
Neophyte
Member # 12339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeFormIdeas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soda is the devil. Plain and simple. I stopped drinking soda all together, and because of that I've lost five pounds alone. My family is very big on having soda in the house at all times. So at first it was hard but now I have no urge to even look at a can.

Fruit juice is good, but in moderation, there is ALOT of sugar in it and by sugar I mean natural and sometimes artificial (depending apon the brand). Your best bet is to go for the water.

Posts: 1 | From: Chicago | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chosen
Neophyte
Member # 12489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What really worked for me was finding something active I /LOVE/ to do. For me, it's Chinese Martial Arts. Our traditional strength programs build muscle faster than lifting any weight or taking any supplement. But I digress.

There are plenty of sports from which to choose, and plenty of activities that aren't quite sports. Even things like carpentry can get someone active.

Posts: 6 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
West1001
Activist
Member # 8317

Icon 10 posted      Profile for West1001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great posting!!!
I have now been trying...no wait, thinking, of getting healthier, but I have no idea where to begin. My mom always has snacks in the house, and pop, and all that "not so good" stuff. But my question is, where do begin? Yeah i'm starting with water, I'm drinking more, and cutting out all that other junk. But about healthy eating, what makes a healthy dinner? What has less fat than others?
arrgghh!!! I want to, but its' hard to push myself to do so!!! HELP!

Posts: 99 | From: Vancouver, BC, CANADA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
West 1001, if your mom is willing to buy less junk to keep around the house, that's always a big step (I don't know if you have siblings, etc, that would complain- of course, it never hurts for the whole house to get healthier!)

For snacks, I really enjoy cutting up some fruit and cheese, maybe with some crackers. Easy to eat (say at a computer, or while studying) and has a snack feeling to it. Salsa is tasty, and healthy dip for veggies, or baked nachos or crackers (I like salsa and Tostitos). Baby carrots! I also really like natural yogurt, which can be thrown into the freezer for the summer. Air popped popcorn is good too (if you don't have a popper, you can always make it in a pot on the stove).

Hope that helps some!

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nex
Neophyte
Member # 12539

Icon 14 posted      Profile for nex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello, all. just browsing through and wanted to congratulate you women for having a *healthy* mindset about, well... getting healthy. heh, that is to say, most everyone in my family, myself included, has struggled with their weight. when i was fourteen, having been raised on soda, ice cream, fast food and tv (god bless america, hm?) i was significantly overweight and looking for someone to blame. instead of brooding, i took control and responsibility over my own body, changed my diet pretty drastically and started exercising regularly. with my new lifestyle, in the past six years (i turn twenty this friday.. whee!) i've lost about sixty five pounds, rarely get sick (it seemed i was always down with something as a child), and actually consider myself to be athletic, imagine that!

anyway, without going on and on, i just wanted to give encouragement and possibly inspiration to those of you with habits to change who may also be disheartened by the thought of not having the amount of support you need; family keeping junk around the house and you feeling sabotaged, reluctance to exercise, etc. all in all, it's been a fun and strengthening process for me. especially at the age i was, i needed to feel empowered and accomplished. there are many conduits to success, of course, but in my experience a sound body and mind have had the greatest effect on brightening my life and my outlook on it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, not everyone at Scarleteen, or even in this thread, necessarily, is female. Everyone's welcome, regardless of gender

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Sink, swim, go down with the ship, but use your freedom of choice!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nex
Neophyte
Member # 12539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Just FYI, not everyone at Scarleteen, or even in this thread, necessarily, is female. Everyone's welcome, regardless of gender

of course not... i just know it's easy - or more common, rather - for girls to get into questionable weight loss methods. i know i didn't make that clear in my first post, but that's what the congratulations were for.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leClowne
Neophyte
Member # 11376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leClowne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've been improving my diet by cutting down on excess food (you know, that candy bar for dessert after breakfast, stuff like that). Europe is not as afflicted with obesity as America because they do not eat as much meat as we do, and fast food is the "All-American Meal" whereas I'd be happy to wine and dine on light cheese, crackers and fresh fruit for dinner in Italy.

If I get a craving, I ask myself, "Do I need this? Will my body be deprived without it?" Nowadays I can ignore the dozens of fundraising chocolate boxes I see floating around my school. I'll never escape my sweet tooth, however, so I can still have whatever I want - just less of it. It's really the amount of food you eat, and how much of it takes up your daily diet that determines nutritional health.

As for exercise, I am lazy, and don't do anything stressful besides lifting and carrying a heavy backpack for a max of 1 hour a day. After over a month of cutting back, I feel healthier, but my appearance wouldn't change unless I started getting my butt out of my chair and into some aerobics. A body's metabolism rate (how fast your system uses up the energy you give it versus storing it in fat cells) is determined by what you demand of it. If you let it shlep itself around without any real work, it's content to slow down, so you need less food. Once I get a move on in the summer, hopefully I can speed the process so I will burn more calories than I eat (the only way to lose weight, really) and look fabulous as well as feel it.

Hooray for health consciousness!

Posts: 13 | From: crazy LA, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leksie
Neophyte
Member # 11805

Icon 14 posted      Profile for leksie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fizzy drink (well soda for you guys) thing is huge. I knew I had to pay a bit more attention to my intake, I have polycystic ovarian disease and it makes it more likely for you to gain weight (playing with hormones, etc.) Im not overweight, but i didn't plan on becoming it, and the 'curves' were getting less defined ;-)

I stopped drinking that, , even though I wasn't huge on it, and cutting out other extras like that, and I was looking better.Start with the little things.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god, I am so glad I found this post. I was feeling like absolute crap, and got online to complain about how much I hate how society makes everyone seem like they have to be a size 6 or smaller to be happy. This post really gave me a positive outlook on things. It made me realize that things aren't perfect, and people are just people and we all pretty much have the same issues and self conscience problems. Thank you Magpie for bringing this up! Congrats to you!!

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would suggest that everyone - EVERYONE! - read a book called Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. It's about the rise of fast food and corporate America, and not only is it extremely interesting, it also will make you think about where the crap you're eating comes from.

Granted, before I read the book I was already more than a little averse to processed foods and big business products, but I do think it's an interesting read. I think that processed food is a major cause of all these nutritional/obesity issues in America. You don't know what you're eating! Stick to the ingredients you recognize and you'll go a long way towards keeping yourself healthy and feeling good.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so out of place here. I am terribly underwieght I think. I weigh only 40 kilos (dunno how much that is in pounds). I'm pretty small made (5'2) but even then, I know I'm underweight. And it's not due to not eating either. I eat like a pig. Healthy food, unhealthy food, junk food...you name it, I eat it. I'm known as the bottomless pit with my friends. I wish I could put on a little weight because I think I'm too skinny, but no matter what I do it doesnt happen. Then I'm scared that if I put on a bit, I'll just NOT stop gaining weight and that scares me more!. As to my lifestyle...well I walk a lot..I swim occasionally, but I'm not an excercise fanatic. But lately I've been focusing more on eating healthy, so I eat more fruit when I'm hungry at odd hours instead of searching for ice cream or something. I wonder if I have a hyperactive thyroid gland or just simply a really high metabolism. Even my mom is like me, and HER family is pretty slim too. I guess it's just genetics!. I just want to put on a little bit more weight so that I dont look as tiny and vulnerable as I do right now!

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it never hurts to talk to your doctor, because if you do have hyperthyroidism, it's not good left intreated.

But yes, you could also just have a really high metabolism. And hey, want to feel less vulnerable and a bit stronger? Do some weight training: muscle adds mass, and it's always good to build and keep a good deal of muscle on any body type. Me, I box and because of that, physically vulnerable is the last thing I feel (I'm also a short, smaller person, though I tend to be pretty muscular naturally and thus, heavier than you are). As well, there's really no need to worry about eating too much healthy food, especially if your metabolism IS naturally higher -- most of the time, if you listen to your body, it'll tell you how much fuel it needs.

FYI, 40 kilos is about 90 pounds. If you have a very small frame at 5'2, that weight doesn't have to be unhealthy or underweight, for the record. But I would advise checking in with your doc.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!. Didnt realise 40 was alright . Thanks for telling me. Yeah I want to build more, but I think I should start more with something like swimming and then get onto the serious stuff like weight training cuz I have to confess I've never been to a gym in my life!.

I fainted once (bad case of period pains). But my parents freaked cuz they thought it might have been something else. So I went to hospital and got a whole load of checkups done. Even got an ultrasound cuz they thought I might have a cyst or something but thankfully it was all clear. Anyway the doctore asked me at the time if i was dieting or something since my weight was 36Kgs (OMG..I know). I said no, and then he looked at the test results again and said that I shouldnt worry about it, that some people just have a high metabolism. He knows my mom and her family as well so he said it's probably in our genes or something!.

The thing with me is, most of the time I'm just so lazy I cant be bothered to work out or something (very bad, I know). But I do a lot of yoga so that helps me be flexible even though I might be unfit!. Anyway yeah I agree I should look into getting more fit during the summer since I wouldnt be burdened with studies then. Just hope I wont start bunking that too!.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add my two cents on fitness...

A great way to get in shape, as well as improve your mental health, is to go on walks. Whether you live in the country, suburb, or city, bring some music or a friend, you'll have time to think and relax and you will feel better, both physically and mentally. I used to dread most exercise, but I'm grown to love walking and recommend it to everyone who can. (Of course, be safe about when and where you walk!)

Also, becoming vegetarian/vegan is not only good for animals and the environment, but also good for fitness, especially for losing weight. (Of course, if you only eat ding dongs and ho-hos instead of a balanced diet, you won't be getting the results you want...) Vegetarian alternatives are all over-- meat-eaters will occassionally ask me if I miss meat, but the truth is that you eventually don't get craving to eat it. Additionally, meat has been linked to forms of cancer, so that's another reason to go veggie. It's a personal choice but a great one to make-- at least I think so!

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry if I repeated anything written earlier.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vegetarianism's well and cool (I've been doing it for about eight years), but I think suggesting it as a method of weight loss is a bit misleading. A balanced diet won't cause you to lose weight if you weren't overweight for your body to begin with, and it is perfectly possible for meat eaters and veggies alike to have healthy, balanced diets. It might also be worth considering that it's additives and hormones in meat that can cause problems, but people have been happily eating the stuff (or not) for thousands of years. We're omnivores. We can live quite well without certain foods, but we are designed to eat a wide variety of things. So, yeah, vegetarianism and veganism are great things if they suit you, just make sure you're choosing them for the right reasons.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF

The night we met I knew I needed you so
And if I had the chance I'd never let you go

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 06-12-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clarifying about vegetarianism and weight loss, Milke. I meant weight loss might occur if someone just transitioned from eating a diet high in fatty meats. There are some studies on this available online that I wanted to share, but I don't think I'm permitted to post outside URLs, so I won't link them.

For me, vegetarianism (and I'm "working on"- whatever that means- becoming vegan) ended up being a lifestyle change as well, as I got inspired to get more exercise and the like.

Then again, just a little while ago a friend told me about an athlete friend of hers who decided to become vegetarian to lose weight and get in shape-- he basically ate potato chips and drank soda (or pop, or coke, or whatever else, depending wherever you are from ) all the time instead of meat and ended up being bigger and more out of shape than when he ate meat.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posting outside URLs (provided they are not to 18+ sites) is perfectly acceptable on the boards.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started to get serious about excersise this summer. I have had a miserable time finding a job, so I figured it was better then sitting on my butt all summer. I have worked myself up to 2 times per week swimming laps for an hour (my goal for the end of july is to be up to 3 times a week). I also watch what goes into my mouth now (low carbs, ect...) Although, I haven't lost any weight I have noticed some nice effects.
1. i didn't have any cramps this month, not a one!! That along makes dragging my fat butt to the pool worthwhile!
2. My back doesn't hurt anywhere near as much anymore! Ever since I was pregnant with my son I have had a terrible time with my back. The other day I realized I hadn't had back pain in over a week! hooray! (Course with all the walking on Canada Day it acted up again, but not as bad!)

The moral of the story: excersise can bring you so many bonus besides weight loss!

My ultimate goal: to loose enough wait that when I go back to school in september I need a whole new wardrobe! lol!

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.