Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Bidis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bidis
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a public information announcement.
I just saw in Time -- at this article -- that apprently sales of these are on the rise among teens and wanted to pipe up (as it were).

After college, someone suggested to me when I was trying to quit smoking that I smoke "these herbal cigarettes" instead. Gave it a shot, grabbed a couple packs, and oh my goodness! I was amazed at how easy it was to swap regular cigarettes for them. And cheaper, oh boy!

Silly me. Not. Three weeks later when I went to drop the bidis? I literally wore grooves in my floor from pacing it, had the shakes for two weeks, the whole nine yards. Suffice it to say, bidis aren't herbal, non-addictive, or anything close to devoid of nicotene. And they're even worse for you than cigarettes are.

I don't know if Time is on target in terms of teens smoking these, but in the case that it comes up for any of you, I just wanted to bring it to your attention before you make the stupid mistake I did with them back when. They're bad news.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, bidis are still around and kicking; you can always see the "hippie kids" around the door of my school smoking them, in fact. Funny you mention them, as my father warned me of the same thing before I left for college (while he was racking his brains for things to warn me about). I figured I'd never see 'em, but all the smoke shops sell them and advertise them heavily. Ick.
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they sell those out on Telegraph Ave. But I can't say i've eve seen anyone smoke one.

The bidis are more dangerous than regular tobacco cigarettes for the same reason marijuana cigarettes are: inhaling anything other than clean air is harmful. Smoke hurts your lungs whether it comes from a Camel Red, a chronic bud, or the exhaust pipe of your car.

So yeah, bidis have tobacco in them, as do clove cigarettes (some people don't know this, apparently). And with bidis, there is no quality control, so they are able to get away with using rough, low-quality tobacco that not only poisons your lungs, but also does a lovely job of shredding your air passages along the way (incidentally, same goes for smoking clove cigs and joints).

Anyway, that goes to show there is no such thing as a safe smoke. not the american Spirit cigs, not bidis, not cloves, nothing. if it's not air, it shouldn't be in your lungs.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't smoke nothin'. That's my motto.
Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.