Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » rice milk? soy milk? oat milk? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: rice milk? soy milk? oat milk?
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I bought some vanilla rice milk the other day; it doesn't go bad as quickly as cow milk and it's not as expensive. plus, it's guilt-free.

I've just had it in cereal so far, save for a little taste from the adventurous boyfriend's glass. I don't know whether I like it or not. it's pretty good, doesn't give me that horrible mucus-y feeling, but it's still very weird.

can anyone recommend to me a good milk substitute? in the meantime, I've decided I'm going to drink up the vanilla rice milk and make myself like it.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've also heard of almond milk. but i have yet to hear of a really good substitute for dairy milk (i'm not a fan of soy milk).

rice milk tastes too watery to me. and gritty. it made my mouth feel pretty disgusting. also, it is definitely *not* intended for consumption by infants (there have been some cases of well-meaning vegan parents who tried to sub rice milk for dairy milk and their babies became malnourished and even died in one case).

haven't tried oat or almond milk.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almond milk rocks my world. I like the kind called "almond breeze" made by Blue Diamond, the same folks that make the packaged almonds and stuff. It's a little more expensive than some of the other milk substitutes, but it's very, very tasty.

I like soy milk too, but that's definitely more of an acquired taste, I think. I don't really care for rice milk, and I've never had oat milk.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the "Silk" brand of soymilk. It's not at all chalky, and is just fantastic. I have found over the years, though, that the more I drink of milk replacements, the better they taste, so I think some of it is just getting acclimated.

I like Rice Dream in Chocolate, and almond milk is fabulous in coffee (incidentally, Silk also makes soy coffee creamer that is to die for).

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drink soymilk. So Nice in Vanilla or Chocolate though I am happy to drink the Original floavour if that is what is in my fridge. I think they are only available in Cananda. They make a great soy yogurt by the way.

I have been drinking dairy milk alternatives for some time now (6 years) and so whatever was an aquired taste has been aquired. :-)

I did drink some rice milks and almond milks in the past but I don't remember much about them.

I do drink only fortified milks -that is important to me.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can anyone recommend a good rice milk for horchata (mexican rice drink with sugar and cinnamon)? i've acquired a taste for horchata, but it's gotta be good stuff, otherwise, it feels like i'm drinking sand.

while we're at it, could someone post a tasty veg nog recipe in the RECIPES thread?

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I picked up some SunSoy in Chocolate (for drinking) and Regular (for cooking) tonight - it was two for one. Soymilk is so much cheaper than dairy, at least here! I really like the chocolate. I was surprised!

Gummy, I love horchata, but I only ever get it in taquerias. I've never made it myself. Do you have a recipe? (I really like the tamarind drink that's often served when they've got horchata out, too, but tamarind is sort of love it or leave it.)

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inkie
Neophyte
Member # 8840

Icon 14 posted      Profile for inkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite rice milk is called Rice Dream. You will probably find it in those little juice box-like containers in the heath food section in the stores. I use it alot in cooking and it is perfect. Also, Gummy im about to put a recipe for soy nog in the recipes thread.
Posts: 17 | From: my own little world, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, horchata sounds like it could be good, but I've never had it. Tamarind's lovely as a drink, and disgusting as a candy, so I guess I'll choose love it AND leave it, depending on what's involved.

Rice ice cream's good stuff too, I'm not fond of soy milk, but it makes me sick anyway, so it's not something I'm going to bother trying to like.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.diy-auction.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/noah/cookbook/recipe.cgi?action=view_category&category=Tasty+Beverages

There are oat and rice milk recipes here. I haven't tried either, and the rice milk sounds like it could benefit from straining before use, but they might be worth a try.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milke, I love tamarind as a candy, as a drink, and every other way, but I hear that's an acquired taste as well. ;]

thanks, you guys, for your recommendation. I haven't had milk since I posted this - I've been quite happy with the Silk soymilks - and the one time I slipped and ate cheese, I paid for it the next day. ugghh.

soymilk has given me hope that someday I can go vegan all the way. ;]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually found the dropping cheese -- given, I did it in slow stages, and had dropped butter and creams well before -- once it was done?

Was the easiest thing I ever did. I have no desire to EVER eat the stuff again and experience how that feels in my system and what that does to my body.

So strnge, really, some of these changes you make for habits you never realized caused you that much yuckiness.

Just FYI: I think Silk is the best brand of soymilk out there. They also make a coffee creamer that is totally perfect and rich and delightful. And a soy egg nog around the holidays.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup of Joe
Neophyte
Member # 10643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cup of Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lemming:
[B]Soymilk is so much cheaper than dairy, at least here![B]

Here in Jersey, soy milk (or any vegetarian food for that matter) is quite expensive.

Posts: 34 | From: Old Bridge, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, here too. That's why I don't buy it! Plus, if I bought as much soy milk as I did dairy milk... well I'd be broke! We went through a gallon a day with 4 housemembers, so now that we're down to 2 I guess around half a gallon.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh baby. i've finally gone ahead and tried almond milk. it is tasty!!! it's vanilla almond milk, so it's kinda sweet, so I'd bet it'd be great in coffee. I can't wait totry it in coffee.

------------------
if p then q (statement)
if p then not q (negation)
if q then p (converse)
if not p then not q (inverse)
if not q then not p (contrapositive)

Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

anahati
Activist
Member # 14729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anahati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potato milk can be bought in some places, like in health food stores or perhaps the organic market of Safeway. I haven't tried it yet, personally I'm with Heather and I love Silk. Their chocolate milk is wonderful.
I cut out dairy for two weeks for my allergy testing and now feel way better. There are some fantastic soy products out there!

------------------
when i look at you i squint / you are that beautiful. - ani D

Posts: 64 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a fan of almond milk & rice milk, depending. the rice milk i drink is made from a powdered mix called "better than milk".

the almond milk i make myself at home, so can't give a brand name to try.

tastey though. does take a bit of a change from dairy...

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This maybe a silly question, but just to clarify, Almond milk is made from almonds? I would be facinated to see how that is done. If it is made from almonds, that kinda excludes all us 'nut allergies' I guess.

I can't stand cow milk. I am not warm on the thought of drinking cow excrement (yet I breastfed! but somehow it seems different) I hate the image in my head of cows being pumped of their milk, I hated pumping breastmilk, so it seems so much more awful for a cow. Plus, it just doesn't taste all that great to me.

------------------
Mommy, my boogers are yummy. Here try some! (I real conversation with my 2.5 year old)

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nico
Neophyte
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anahati:
Potato milk can be bought in some places, like in health food stores or perhaps the organic market of Safeway.

whoa, potato milk? I can't believe I've never heard of that!

I'm partial to chocolate Silk myself. mmmm. I started drinking soy milk a couple years ago and I tried some awful stuff before I found Silk. But likely it wasn't actually that bad, my tastes have completely changed since then. I still remember the day when my brother convinced me to try a sip of cow milk one day,(I'm not strictly a vegan, so it wasn't really an issue, just an experiment) and what I had forgotten was the taste! and the smell. ugh, the smell! i never noticed it when I drank it all the time, though I did notice the bloating and discomfort lol
Right now I'm actually drinking a glass of vanilla Silk. I love how much calcium I can get from it!

[This message has been edited by nico (edited 02-27-2004).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

As an update, I tried horchata in Vegas (which was about half a year ago, but anyway), and liked it. It's available in supermarkets here, so that's cool.

Bought rice milk and almond milk last night, and like both pretty well. The rice milk (Trader Joe's Basmati stuff, which was $1.09 for a litre, but might have been on sale) does indeed taste like rice, but is pretty pleasant, and would probably be good on cereal. It's thin, but no worse than skim milk, and not grainy. The almond stuff (same as Laura mentioned) is thicker, more cream than white in colour, and a bit sweet, since it's vanilla (didn't have plain). It was $1.69 for a litre. Both packages said they'd keep 7-10 days after opening, and unopened, would last well into the summer.

It took more of both milks than it did normal milk to lighten tea, but the almond milk tasted really good and convincing, whereas the rice milk just made the tea taste like rice. Haven't tried either in chocolate yet, but the almond milk would most likely be good, and I'm not sure about the rice milk. Anyway, buy the almond milk to put in hot drinks, and the rice milk to drink as-is, or on grainy cereals. Neither tasted weird or icky, though I guess it helpd to not expect them to taste like the usual stuff.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

And everybody's got to live their life
And God knows I've got to live mine

TreeSong
Neophyte
Member # 17511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TreeSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insane: re: how to make almond milk.

Yes, Almond milk [or mylk, as some prefer] is made from almonds. You can actually make it at home, quite easily. Take about a cup of almonds, put them in a jar, cover with water and soak over night. (Or just for 8-12 hours, whichever. Its nothing scientific or exact.)

Next day, put the soaked almonds, which will have expanded to about twice their size and will look roundly plump, in your blender with 2-3 cups of water. Blend, blend, blend until smooth. You can add 1/4-1/2 tsp. of vanilla, and 1 T. of honey, or sugar, or stevia, or whatever, for flavoring.

At this stage, all of the almond "pulp" will still be in the liquid, and you can strain it through a colander or somesuch to remove the pulp to give it the 'smooth' mouth-feel that we associate with milk.

I tend to leave the pulp in, 'cause I don't mind it - but be warned, it will be quite gritty and not at all like milk if you don't strain it.

Its really quite simple to make, even though I used all those words. (You soak the almonds because they blend up better that way - any shelled nuts you buy from the store dry out and loose moisture the longer they sit in the warehouse and store shelf, and take a lot more from your blender to make a -smooth- milk.

Commercial almod milk will be a lot smoother than what you can make at home, but thats just because they have bigger, more expensive machinery and blenders to make a silky smooth drink.)

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, treesong described it: pretty easy to make almond milk at home, for those who are curious.

i like this best, as i can make it exactly to my personal taste in thickness/thinness, sweetness, and flavoring. good for us fussy eaters

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
456bearbear654
Neophyte
Member # 17079

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 456bearbear654     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Silk" is definitly my favourite soy drink. I haven't been too adventurous after I found silk because the chocolate flavour is sooo yummmy. Put it in a blender with a frozen banana or strawberries...and mmmm mmmmm
Posts: 20 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that not all almond milk brands are the same. I bought Pacific brand almond milk at Trader Joe's. it was 20 cents less than Blue Diamond, and whoa, the cheaper stuff was NASTY. I had to go back to the store and return it, it was SO BAD!

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 04-04-2004).]

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

I finally opened up the carton of Vanilla Rice Dream I had (bought it on sale ages ago and forgot about it) and it's really good. It tastes a bit ricey, but that's not unpleasant, it's about the same consistency as skim milk, and it's good as-is or in hot or cold tea. The vanilla-ness isn't overwhelming, just pleasant, and cow's milk is a bit sweet anyway. Definitely better than the TJ's stuff, much like Gummy's experience.

I had a carton of hazelnut milk too, but it looked funky when I opened it so I didn't try it.

------------------

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

alan 182
Neophyte
Member # 18225

Icon 6 posted      Profile for alan 182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I,started with soy milk, mmmmmm good, but soy milk has estrogen - not for men.
Then I moved to rice and almond. I drink rice milk all the time now and love it. Almond is the best tasting and also cost the most, I drink almond from time to time as a treat only because it cost so much.
No more cows milk !
Oat milk may have gluten in it - not for everyone.

[This message has been edited by alan 182 (edited 05-22-2004).]

Posts: 2 | From: apopka,fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI: there's no reason men can't drink soy milk. Phytoestrogens and actual estrogen aren't the same thing, and panic over men eating soy is generally bunk, with no scientific or medical foundation. And in fact, soy may give very important health benefits to men, such as: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/84/98308.htm

More info on men and soy: http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=312211 and http://vegweb.com/articles/monique-1009660779.shtml

Obviously, if you prefer the others, great. But if you don't want to, there's no reason to limit soy products because you're male.

alan 182
Neophyte
Member # 18225

Icon 7 posted      Profile for alan 182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right: I, just visited webmd (I'm learning-day by day-fun)I,will add silk soy back into my diet. THANK YOU, Alan
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Just FYI: there's no reason men can't drink soy milk. Phytoestrogens and actual estrogen aren't the same thing, and panic over men eating soy is generally bunk, with no scientific or medical foundation. And in fact, soy may give very important health benefits to men, such as: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/84/98308.htm

More info on men and soy: http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=312211 and http://vegweb.com/articles/monique-1009660779.shtml

Obviously, if you prefer the others, great. But if you don't want to, there's no reason to limit soy products because you're male.

Posts: 2 | From: apopka,fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

De nada.

(She says, sipping on a highly tasty smoothie made with Genesoy protein powder, Silk soy milk, fresh bananas, strawberries, peaches and flax oil.)

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

For the record, Carob Rice Dream is kind of icky. I probably won't stop posting to this thread until I've tried *all* the non-soy, non-milk milks.

------------------

All you suicide kings and you drama queens . . .

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a good splash of vanilla almond milk is DIVINE in a tall glass of iced coffee. now if only i could come off this caffeine buzz and relax a little.

------------------
You'll no longer have any reason to doubt the
transcendent power of love after you see it obliterate
an entire armored division in military tests.

Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drink calcium-fortified milk substitutes because too much cow's milk makes me produce more mucus.

I hated soya milk when I first tried it. I can now tolerate the sweetened ones. I got on much better with rice milks. I like Rice Dream and Provamel rice milk that we have here. I recently discovered I like So Good soya milk, it's the only soya milk I ever actually liked.

I eat some goat's and sheep's products because they are supposed to be less problematic if cow's milk disagrees with you. Tried soya cheese once and found it was truly disgusting to me!

Still eat things which have a bit of cow's milk in them, otherwise I find it too restrictive for my liking.

------------------
Londongirl
Mature Student in Psychology(About to graduate - what do I do now??) Read about me here

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Brella
Neophyte
Member # 19007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Brella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like vanilla flavored Silk soymilk...
Rice milk in my opionion is absoulutey disgusting...
"Rice Dream" brand ice cream bars taste good, though. Never tried the almond stuff sounds good =)

Posts: 14 | From: Salisbury, MD, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAMF
Neophyte
Member # 19063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAMF         Edit/Delete Post 
The best tasting soy milk I have ever found is Silk brand in vanilla flavour. I'm a vegetarian and was wondering if there is a better substitute for milk than soy milk when it comes to protien content. I'm looking to get more protien in my diet.

------------------
~Frabs! ^.^

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey
Activist
Member # 5304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drink lactose free, skim milk. It has almost twice as much protein as soy milk and has no fat. Without the lactose, it's just as easy to digest.

Taste issues aside, is there anything better for you than lactose and fat free milk?

Posts: 107 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.