Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Exercises

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercises
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that volleyball season is over it's on to my next sport, basketball. Are there any good ways to build up the needed muscle and other exercises to go along with bball? I know running is a huge part, so I'm running a mile each day (down my street and back) but what else could I do to tone up a little more? Basketball is a waaay more physical sport than volleyball which is mainly mental. Thanks!

-tigress*

Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could try stuff like going to gym. you could tone up the muscles needed for bsketball, or go to aerobic classes to keep up your stamina. Swimming is also a good way to keep up activity levels, and it doesn't have the kind of negative effects on your body (knee problems, etc) that something like running would.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say arm strength is definitely important in basketball. You can shoot & pass the ball easier and more forcefully.

And yea, swimming is good too. A full body workout. Except right now it's getting a little too chilly, unless you have an indoor pool around somewhere.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I box and kickbox and find that works well.

But I also can't extol the plain, simple virtues of manual labor enough -- after all, that's what kept most people in the world perfectly fit and healthy for centuries.

For instance, you can find out if there is a Habitat for Humanity branch by you, and volunteer to help build housing for the homeless.

Exercise can be lots of things, not just organized sports!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tigress:
[B]Basketball is a waaay more physical sport than volleyball which is mainly mental.[B]

The main thing with sports like basketball is stamina, so anything that builds that up would be good. Running, swimming, gym exercises - anything that you can do for extended periods, but gradually do longer each day.

And Miz S's suggestion of "strenuous" volunteer work is a goodie. My suggestion is anything with kids that'll keep you on your toes. Do that all day and you're pooped!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 9 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urgh... Well thank you all for your replies, but unfortunatly I won't be able to use them seeing as I didn't make the team. I guess I really am just a volleyball girl.

-tigress*

Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that tigress! You have to remember though, to never give up doing something you love. Try again next year and keep up at volleyball! And don't ever quit exercising!
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.