Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » eating well / being cheap??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eating well / being cheap??
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked - SHOCKED today going into the grocery store now that I'm back up in Chicago.

In Houston, a pound of grapes (red seedless) on sale was $.69. In Chicago, smaller, wimpier grapes: $1.79 ON SALE. And these prices seem to exted to everything. Funny how a few months away can make you forget ;P

So. My summer of eating well and healthily (lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, juice) is obviously at an end. What do I do to try to replicate this on a nonexistent budget?

And WHY IS GOOD FOOD SO EXPENSIVE?!

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went out to Berkeley to visit my bro in spring, I made him take me to the Berkeley Bowl. Fresh produce that's ripe RIGHT NOW for really cheap. I got half a flat of stawberries for $4.25.

That was the happiest day in my life.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shop around. Honestly.

I discovered the same problem when I moved back to school last year, lemming. I'm from Indiana, and produce is almost always very reasonable at my grocery store at home. I moved down to Tennesee for college, walked into Kroger (please note, I strongly dislike Kroger) and about had a heart attack when I saw the price of their fruit. More than double what I paid at home and the quality of the fruit was horrible! But, my hatred of Kroger's small aisles, awful produce, and empty shelves led me to start shopping for a new grocery store. Usually there will be more than one store in any area, and I found a Food Lion that I love (although they have small selections of some items, like yogurts for example) and a Super Walmart that has the best produce I've seen anyplace outside of an actual farmer's stand (which, btw, is another option if you can find out where they have a farmer's market). I do have to drive a tiny bit further, but it's worth it to me to get the best oranges and grapes at a better price.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lemming:
In Houston, a pound of grapes (red seedless) on sale was $.69.

Excuse me, Lemming, but can you please tell me where I can buy these cheap grapes?

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, I live down the street from Berkeley Bowl, and I love being able to buy fresh, cheap produce within walking distance. Berkeley Bowl is an exceptional place. They have the best produce for cheap -- everything else here is so damn expensive! Actually, anything at Berkeley Bowl that isn't fresh produce is pricey as all get out, but at least I can find fresh porcini mushrooms for about $15/lb (which is actually a great price 'cause they're so darn $$$!)

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daydreamer, that was about 2 weeks ago, at a Kroger. I miss HEB while I'm up here, too!

One of my main problems is that I am in the middle of a big city. I may do some scouting by el once I get my transport pass, but for now I'm stuck walking. And of course everything's more expensive in the city...

I guess what really burns me up is that it's sometimes cheaper to eat fast food (which i don't eat) than to eat fresh veggies. How stupid is that?

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in canada your average pound of grapes is $3.50

but then when you consider pizza, as opposed to say, a loaf of bread and sandwich meat, i would say the healthy choice is definately less expensive.

Of course subway is definately a restaurant (at least in canada) that is extremely expensive for what it gives you. a salad (full of less meat than a sandwich, and no bread) is $4.50 Canadian.

i would say nutritional fast food is the worst for expenses.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by killer_raincoat:
i would say nutritional fast food is the worst for expenses.

In general, I would agree with that. From what I've seen in a number of countries, it is sad but true that fast food is quicker and easier than buying fresh produce and preparing it. No wonder people go for "being cheap" instead of "eating well".

I am fortunate at the moment to have a HUGE farmer's markets every Sunday just a 5 minute drive from my new house. I go in and virtually clean the place out (because I sneak fruit/vegetables into any dish I can get away with it). But I usually have to go shopping again by Wed to buy more, so the bill really adds up!

On a side note: When I was on holidays in CA a few years ago, we stopped at a fruit barn near Los Alamos. Does anybody know which one I'm talking about (they also sell home-made spicy sauces)?? I'd love to remember their name.

And I couldn't tell you how much a pound of grapes costs here, because it's actually kilograms (and I cannot convert that for the life of me). But I think it's $2-$3 for a kilogram, if anybody does have brilliant math skills.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just moved from a backwater town in Florida to NYC. Yeah, culture shock. I'd been really worried about living expenses, especially food, but so far, I'm finding that I'm only spending a tiny bit more more on food now than I did in Florida. Granted, I'm living in a lower-class neighborhood on Staten Island, and to get cheap groceries, I do have to take the bus across town -- but I am managing just fine now that I've got my handy-dandy unlimited MetroCard. Get thee to a transit card!

My secret for eating on the cheap? I cook ethnic, and I use lots of beans and rice and legumes and grains. Ever noticed that mainstream American food is just so darn expensive? For ten bucks, I can get the stuff to make a meatloaf and potatos for one night, or I can make a big batch of really yummy vegetarian burrito filling that'll last three or four days. Or a huge pot of curried lentil stew that'll last until we're really tired of lentil stew. If you want, I'll toss a few recipes into one of our recipe threads.

As far as fresh produce goes, I usually try to seek out a good farmer's market or produce stand, and I buy whatever's inexpensive and looks good. Granted, that often means I'll end up with say, pears instead of the grapes that I wanted, but hey. And I buy in large quantities as much as possible -- it costs more upfront, but it's so much cheaper in the long run.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.