Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Late Period and Not Pregnant-Now What?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Period and Not Pregnant-Now What?
Chelle
Activist
Member # 7396

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Chelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period is like clockwork, every 28.5 days. I was more wondering than scared when the day it was due came and went as I haven't had sex for a few months and I've definitely had my period since the last time I had intercourse. When it was 11 days late I took a pregnancy test just to make SURE and it was negative. It's now 13 days late and I'm not really worried just curious as to why it IS late. What are some reasons (this has been a very low stress past few months so I know it's not stress) that periods are late? When should I call the GYN?
Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
destiny4514
Activist
Member # 8348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for destiny4514     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your post seems like you are stressing right now.. so being stressed about being late can make you even more late..
and yes if u are concered about it call your gyno and tell them whats up maybe they can help you... its better to be safe than sorry.. and its only a phone call they also have local chatlines that you can call and talk to someone there..but if you do have a gyno i would suggest calling them so you will not be so stressed

Posts: 71 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
didnt you post the other day that you got raped? maybe your stressed out over that and thats why you havent gotton you period?

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Columbia University's Go Ask Alice site:

quote:
Stress can disrupt the normal hormonal balance in your body, causing your period to come late, or skip for one month. Some other typical causes of missed periods include undergoing any major changes in your life, such as moving, starting a new job or a new romance, or changed eating or exercise habits. Losing a significant amount of weight can also cause you to miss a menstrual period.

If none of those conditions apply and/or if your period doesn't come within the next couple of weeks (in other words, you completely miss this period), I'd suggest making an appointment with your gynocologist just to make sure everything is ticking along okay.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in a similar situation, except i have never had sex or a pregnancy risk.

my period had been regular for almost 10 years up until february. it didn't come at all. i was highly stressed out that month though so i decided to wait until the next month. it came in march and i figured missing once was no big thing.

but then i skipped april and may and couldn't figure out why because i wasn't that stressed during that time.

my doctor ran a bunch of tests on me last month. i have a family history of diabetes (grandfather) and also hypothyroidism (mom). turns out neither were the problem.

i went back today for a pap smear and my doctor put me on birth control. so everything should start to regulate soon. she is going to do an ultrasound next month to check for ovarian cysts.

so if you have a family history of endocrine problems or anything, it is worth asking your doc is those could possibly be factors into why you are having an irregular period.

also, as everyone here seems to affirm: sometimes, for no apparent reason, your body can just get out of whack.

i'm still really wondering what is going on but i may never know. all i can do is let my doctor treat me and get on with my life.

like my mom said to me today, hormones are crazy things and they can get messed really easily.

so just take care of yourself as usual, do what you can to be healthy, and i'm sure you will be fine and everything will straighten out soon.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.