Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Diet Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet Pills
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this topic has been mentioned before, but I didn't find it when using the search engine. Anyway, I saw an ad for diet pills today on the t.v., and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and what general opinions are (even if you haven't used them).
I would never use them, myself. And I think they promote unhealthy body images and inhibit healthy eating habits, but I thought it would be interesting to get some different perspectives.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000137.html
this thread is about Xenadrine in particular, but the idea holds true for most stimulant-based diet drugs.

Diet Pills are bad. There is no such thing as a quick fix for weight loss.

Most diet pills you see have a stimulant as its active ingredient. There are other pills, though, that work via different mechanisms.

There's a drug called Xenical, which is by prescription only. It blocks 30% absorption of fats by the small intestine. great for lowering excess fats in one's diet, and making low-fat eating general habit. why is this so? because the fats all leave your body when you defecate. doctors recommend making a good and concious effort to avoid fat consumption for patients on Xenical because those who take the drug and eat fatty foods report oily, foul-reeking diarrhea and cramps.

So, if it means that much to you, go talk to your doc. ask him/her if you are fit to exercise. then eat MODERATELY. That's the only healthy way to go.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gumdrop for the info. . . But don't worry. I'm not even planning on going on a diet, I was just curious to hear people's thoughts on the subject.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently tried a diet pill that was advertised on tv called Hydroxycut. I would strongly advise not using it. I had very severe chest pains while on it. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I haven't heard anyone else having chest pains while taking it, but I wouldn't take it again.
Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hydroxycut contains ephedra (also known as ma huang). It can cause chest pains, as sunshine_1ofakind discovered, as well as any number of other side effects. It's best to stay away from it entirely; it's generally considered unsafe.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 11 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I have used over-the-counter diet pills with few adverse effects. However, I am 17 years old and 80+ lbs overweight. After talking to my Doctor, who agreed the side effects of taking the pills were comparatively small to the negative effects of being severely obese, I began taking Metabolife. I never experience heart problems, racing, or any of that, the only mild irritation I observed was the fact that it was difficult for me to fall asleep at night, due to the ephedrin no doubt. I'm sure these pills aren't right for everyone, but my mother, pediatrician, and I decided they were right for me.

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Hey Surfgal, I just wanted to clarify that I totally didn't mean to insult anyone using diet pills for healthful purposes. Its just too often that I see people who are already plenty thin taking diet pills as an excuse not to heat healthfully or exercise. I think they're great for people like you who use them properly and have consulted a physician and are wise in using them.
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A girl at my school was picked up in an ambulance last week from school because she had a heart attack due to Metabolife. I haven't talked to anybody who hasn't experienced that jittery, racing feeling while taking it. Personally, I think it's bad news. I personally think that eating healthy and exercising is your best bet, (though I suppose I shouldn't talk, being a recovering bulimic and anorexic...) but if you REALLY need to take a pill or something, definitely clear it with the doc.
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherokee1696     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SurfGal:
If you don't mind my asking, how well is Metabolife working for you? I about about 20 pounds heavier than I should be, and even though I exercise and eat only in moderation and only healthy foods, I can't see to drop these pounds.
Does it really work??? I have been doing lots of research on the different brands of diet pills, and although Metabolife sounds like the safest, I haven't talk to anyone who has actually used it.
Thanks, and I hope you don't mind me asking!

Posts: 59 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cherokee, just curious as to how you know you're overweight. Have you discussed this with your docter? It sounds like you're doing everything right so if you aren't losing weight, maybe your body is trying to tell you that you don't need to.

I suggest before you run out and by pills talk to you docter to find out if you're healthy or not. Of course, that goes for everyone.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherokee1696     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I talked to my doctor maybe... two weeks ago about my weight. She said that I was doing everything right and should be seeing the results soon. I am going to go back the next day I have off and ask her if she has any idea why I just can't drop these last few pounds. I have lost weight, but I just can't get rid of these last few. I am about 5'1" and 125 pounds, and my doctor has set my ideal weight at 105, so I've still got 20 pounds to go.

Posts: 59 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa...i know i don't know you, and i'm certainly no docter, but that sounds like a low weight to set your goal at. I'm 4'11 and 130-135 and i've never been told to lose any weight, because i'm healthy. I might consider getting a second opinion before i try to "force" of that weight.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cherokee, any doctor worth his/her salt will tell you that if you are overweight by a margin of about 20 lbs, you should be exercising and being careful with your diet. Weight loss drugs are only intended for those who have *severe* obesity. And in those cases, they will probably be prescribed something along the lines of Meridia or Xenical. Drugs like Metabolife are over the counter, but they can be *very* dangerous. Miss Thang has already mentioned her account of a person experiencing a heart attack due to side effects.

General warning: Consult with your physician before attempting to use weight loss supplements.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

I really think I am going to just go on my own instinct and stop dieting now. I prefer healthy foods and I love to exercise, so I'm not going to start being a couch potato and eating fast food all the time. I don't really think I need to lose any more weight. I am a size 5 right now, and I am perfectly happy with the way my body looks. I am going to start lifting weights, because I have to be able to lift 130 on my own to get into fire college, so I may actually put on a little more (muscle) weight. But, I'm not going to take the diet pills. It just sounds too risky.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Cherokee!

Is fire college for firefighting?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

Thanks.

Yes, fire college is for firefighting. I am currently attending a community college to get my Associate in Applied Sciences, certified paramedic, but I want to be a Fire-Medic, so I have to get my paramedic certification, then do 2 years of fire college. But it'll be fun.
If you want to know more about fire college, go to:
http://www.alabamafirecollege.cc.al.us/index.html

Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ephedra boosts your metabolism, sometimes lowers your apetite, and gives you lasting energy. However, if taken incorrectly it can kill ya. Im not sure how she was able to not have a heart attack but this girl took a metabolife pill then a 7 shot mocha (which is a little much anyways) mixing ephedra and caffiene makes your heart go crazy. I had to stop my mom from taking these pills that she bought at the cigarrette store because they were advertised as ephedra and caffiene, she didnt realize the problems it could cause.

AFTER talking to a doctor who says it would be ok, i suggest just taking straight ephedra. Its the active ingredient in metabolife and much cheaper. They can come in smaller doses also.

One more precaution. DONT make a habit out of them. I use them only when i notice my eating habits getting out of hand and my energy hitting the floor. As soon as i get things back under control the pills go back in the cabinet.

And most people dont need diet pills BTW. Talk to your doctor.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ephedra is dangerous. That's the bottom line, and that's why it was pulled off the market for a good long while. It can be useful for some things, but only when taken under the supervision of a medical professional who is trained in the use of herbal medicine. Anything else, really, is just playing with fire.

If you want to use herbs to boost your energy, something like ginseng is much, much safer. And if you're going to buy herbal supplements for the purpose of boosting your energy levels, buy them at a reputable health food store, not at a gas station or cigarette store or online.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/16/business/16DRUG.html
(Link requires free registration)

Feds are investigating the makers of Metabolife, an ephedra diet supplement, regarding the product's safety and whether the makers lied about knowing about the product's dangerous side effects.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 11 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I'm sorry to bring up such an old topic but it really peaked my interest and I have a few things to say.

First off I have a female friend who started taking Metablife(lift?) about 2 years ago and realized, her heart began to bother her. She said sometimes she could just be sitting down and it would start beating really fast. So she saw on t.v. it contained ephdra(drin?) which causes anxiety attacks, which is what she was having so she stopped taking it. She got off the diet pills for awhile and recently started taking Xenodrin or something like that because it "says it doesn't have ephedra(drin?) in it".

At one point I tried those Metabolife pills and realized that if I didn't eat anything before taking them, it would make me nauseous and sometimes throw up, so I immediately stopped. I myself, wanted to lose weight because I am about 4'11-5'0 and weigh about 140 pounds. I believe I am overweight for my height and I want to lose at least 10-15 pounds. I am going to try to consult a nutritionist and see what they think first because I dont want to put my health in danger. Any ideas of comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !!

------------------
DiamondGirl
~N~
Boogie Black
9/27/01
Still Going Strong!!!
Forever and Always!!!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DiamondGirl2K:
... she saw on t.v. it contained ephdra(drin?) which causes anxiety attacks, which is what she was having so she stopped taking it. She got off the diet pills for awhile and recently started taking Xenodrin or something like that because it "says it doesn't have ephedra(drin?) in it".

Ephedra and xenadrine are very similar drugs with very similar properties. both are stimulants. if your friend has been having heart trouble (fluttering or otherwise) on ephedrine, changing to Xenadrine is not going to help much. Scroll up the page to my first reply. there is a link up there to a good explanation of Xenadrine.

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Ephedrine blamed for baseball pitcher's death.

Body building and weight loss supplements that use stimulants can cause heart attacks or overheating and death. bad bad bad!!!

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

**Fixed the link**

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 02-19-2003).]

celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not on diet pills or anything, but sometimes I get a 'fluttering' feeling in my heart, what exactly does that mean? I also get sharp pains too.
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heart flutter (when not the result of a defect) is caused by a surge of adrenaline (or stimulants like caffeine). it calms itself down after a while. if it doesn't, you *definitely* need to see a doctor.

as for pain, I don't know what to tell you, your question is pretty vague. See a doctor and give him/her as much info as possible about your pain.

and lay off all caffeine and stimulants (drugs or otherwise) and see if your fluttering doesn't go away.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thx so much, I drink alot of soda, so I guess that could be a cause of it, but I've been trying to cut down for a while now, so I guess its no big deal.
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruyhwong
Neophyte
Member # 34647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruyhwong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use --edit-- last 3 weeks along with workouts and diet. I have lost 5 pound - I used to weight 75 pound and now I weight 70 pound. For my height, which is 5 foot that is overweight. My ideal weight should be 65 pound and I believe I will reach it soon.

[ 07-13-2007, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

Posts: 2 | From: Usa | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weight loss supplements are NOT approved by the FDA for effectiveness or safety. They're a fancy form of snake oil that tempts people into believing there's an easy way to lose weight. The only way is proper diet and exercise with a physician's guidance.

Do NOT promote any drug or product unless it's been approved by the webmistress; this is in the Guidelines you agreed to when you signed up.

FYI? A weight loss of 5 pounds is easily obtained with diet and exercise combined over a 3 week period, making the probability of the pills having any effect even more doubtful.

With that, I'll refer everybody to our policy on weight loss queries to make our feelings and dealing with weight loss and related issues crystal clear, since this thread, up until the previous reply, was a few years old.

[ 07-13-2007, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And as a sidenote, so everyone is aware, being 75 lbs, or less, at 5 feet is EXTREMELY underweight. This is NOT healthy for your body, ruyhwong, and at 65 lbs, you are far from overweight.)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spicedudette
Neophyte
Member # 34606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spicedudette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that even for overweight girls, its not a solution, unless you plan to live on them. IF you exercise enough and eat properly, maybe there is another problem, like polycystic ovaries.
Posts: 6 | From: Gibraltar | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... unless you plan to live on them.

Let me restate: there is NO diet supplement approved by the FDA. The commercials like to say clinical trials have been done, but they answer to no one. There wouldn't be people buying them left and right, month after month, year after year if they actually did what they promised.

So, stop wasting your money, folks. And do check out the thread linked above for some practical advice and our stance.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....actually there is one over the counter weight loss drug that has been approved by the FDA. It just came out in June. It's called Alli. The generic name for it is Orlistat. It used to be a prescription-only drug called Xenical.

Just like Gumdrop said in the second post in this topic, it blocks about 30% of fats in the intestines. It definitly makes you watch your fat intake, because any excess fat you consume, can result in oily anal leakage.

(edit--sorry lauren [Smile] )

[ 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: asargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Yup. I specifically said "supplement" to exclude drugs like alli. [Smile]

It's by no means a miracle cure itself; I believe the most stated so far has been achieving half-again the weight loss one would expect from diet and exercise, though that's a step up from other proported diet pills that state the amount of weight loss without accounting for the difference with and without the drug/supplement. The drugmakers make very clear that you can't cheat or it will have no effect, or much worse, cause very embarrassing accidents. Few people are willing to submit to forced compliance like that, I'd say!

(And, one final request, let's please not dish out any more weight loss advice, okay? The basics are covered in our new statement, not to mention, this is a thread that was rooted in cosmetic weight loss/that which takes place against a doctor's advice, which is something we no longer support. Thanks!)

[ 07-13-2007, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.