Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Legs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legs
slutpuppy
Neophyte
Member # 7003

Icon 5 posted      Profile for slutpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very dark brown hair on my legs and when i shave i always get these dark spots from the roots. Does anyone know of any creams or anything that would give my legs a better appearence? Thanks
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chelle
Activist
Member # 7396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're saying that even when you shave there is still the appearance of hair. There are some new creams by Jergen's that slows the hairs regrowth and makes the new hair come in lighter and finer in appearance. I hope that helps
Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same thing happen when I shave. The best thing I've found is to just sit for a long time in a hot bath (or wait until the last minute when you're showering) and then exfoliate with a loofah or with those great body gloves. I notice that you get a closer shave that way, and the little brown spots of your hair growing back take a bit longer to show up. And of course, use a good sharp razor, and that'll help.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slutpuppy
Neophyte
Member # 7003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slutpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lemming do u mean to exfoliate before or after shaving? Thanks
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry that wasn't clearer, sometimes I have an unfortunate habit of assuming everyone is inside my head and knows exactly what I mean.

I exfoliate before AND after, but my skin isn't very sensitive except under my arms. If your skin is sensitive, I'd recommend only exfoliating before. Either way, though, you should definitely see a difference.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 10 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always waxing (ouch) which means the hair will be yanked out at the root and therefore won't be visible anymore. It's great if you have the courage!
Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have black hair and i have the same problem.

it does that for my armpit, but i try not to think about it too much and my reasonning for that is that people are, in principle, not going to pay close attention to my armpits.

I wax my legs, but mainly because i'm too lazy to shave them all the time, at least when waxing them it takes a while before i have to do it again. the problem is, my hair grow back under my skin, and it does almost the same as if i was shaving them. does anyone have any suggestions or something?

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
misscat, I think that's life. I don't know that there's a thing you can do about that.

then again, I don't shave half the time anyway. so I just sort of shrug it off. but since your hair is black (mine is too) and it's growing, you're going to be able to see it under the skin. I wouldn't worry.

melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL i didn't know life was about waxing/shaving legs

what i meant (but didn't mention) is that it groes back under the skin, but will never come out. the skin around turn red and sometimes it makes a button, and i have to use my tweezer (that thing i use for my eyebrows? i'm not sure about the word) for each little hair.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Yep, that's an ingrown hair. Be sure you're careful about keeping your tweezers clean (alcohol does a pretty good job for that), so you don't get a little infected place.
Victoria
Neophyte
Member # 7731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Well, you probably should use shaving cream instead of soap or shampoo, for one. Shaving cream makes it so when you shave, your skin kind of like indents so you are able to get more of the hair out and aren't left with many of those visable hairs (my fave is Skintimate), but, for some people this dosen't work as much. When you shave you are just chopping that hair off blunt (straight across) so it will feel rough when it grows back in and after you shave, it will be pushed up a bit out of the hair follicle. Sometimes this can't really be helped. Another thing is make sure you are shaving AGAINST the way the hair grows in and that will help it also.
If this does not work and you are not satisfied there are always other ways of hair removal such as waxing (which doesn't hurt as much on some people as on others depending also on the many different waxes you can choose from)... Hope I helped a bit!.

------------------
~* $/\/\i1e *~

Posts: 23 | From: PA, US | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherokee1696
Activist
Member # 8298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherokee1696     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't shave against the grain, and you will reduce the ingrown hairs.

Posts: 59 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.