Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Hearing Loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hearing Loss
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm losing my hearing. It hasn't been very good in the past few years anyway, as I've been tested twice and done moderately poorly.

I have trouble hearing over background noise. Sometimes my ears ring. It's sad because I value my hearing greatly. I love music, and i'd hate to every lose that.

But I suspect it's my love of music that's led to all this. I go to concerts several times a month, and while I always have my trusty earplugs handy, sometimes, it's not enough. And sometimes i forget. Can't say i've worn earplugs 100% of the time.

I liken earplugs to wearing condoms. It can be very slightly uncomfortable and block some sensation, but it's sure better than picking up and STD or going deaf.

My point is, value your hearing, folks. Ask for ahearing test next time you're at the doctor. Wear earplugs at concerts (three days of fuzzy noises and tinnitus is not "part of the Ozzfest experience"). Turn down your Walkman, your TV. Be good to your ears.

Otherwise, you'll be like me, saying "hey, speak up, I can't hear you."

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also losing my hearing!! Actually, I may not be losing it, but I have really bad sinuses, and when my sinuses get clogged (which is almost every day), I can't hear as well. It's so hard to talk on the phone, because I can't read lips on the phone, and I depend on reading lips a lot. Do you think that you could have a sinus problem that's contributing to your loss of hearing? I haven't tried this yet- but my doctor told me to try something to get my sinuses unclogged when they get really bad: Well first, take a Sudafed. And maybe use some Afrin. (I hate Sudafed and Afrin- they completely dry me out- but I'd do it anyways)- and then boil some water and put the water in a mixing bowl. And then put your face over the steaming water and cover your head with a towel (like you're giving yourself a facial). And your sinuses should start to drip (which is really gross, but hey) and you just let them drip until you feel a little less clogged. And also use a humidifier in your room. Maybe sinuses aren't even your problem, and if that's the case, then I just went off on a really long tangent for no reason. Sorry!!! Good luck!!!
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Music stores (not record stores... I mean stores that sell sheet music and instruments) sell special musicians' earplugs. These work well for concerts, since they reduce the sound level without muffling the music. They're not all that expensive, either
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked in the music business in the distant past, I know that sound pressure levels at rock concerts are often at a level that would be illegal in an industrial setting without ear protection being supplied to the workers. I have seen recording engineers lose hearing because of the sound pressure given off by studio monitor speakers.

Deafness is also an occupational hazard of rock musicians. It's a circular condition that feeds upon itself. As their ears get less sensitive, they boost the volume, which leads to more insensitivity so the volume is boosted again, which leads to......

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scary...how does one know what's a dangerous sound level? I never go to concerts, but I crank up the volume with my headphones sometimes.

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate
"The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted"--Aesop

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally they say if you're in a quiet room and another person can hear your headphones, it's too loud. On my Discman, that's any higher than the second or third setting, from what I recall from the days when it worked.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you that are interested in sound pressure levels and hearing loss, this is a good site that answers most questions. You will learn that you don't need a decibel meter. there are various non-technical ways ways to check for dangerous loud sounds.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.