Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Be carefull WHAT you drink!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Be carefull WHAT you drink!!!
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Lately I've been hearing stories from more and more friends about this stuff called "rufies". It's like a pill or a chemical that boys slip into girls drinks to make us horny or kinda spaced out so we lose our inhibitions, and make it easier for them to have sex with us! This has been happening a lot, especially at parties, raves and clubs, where boys can just slip something into your drink. It doesn't even have to be alcohol, because the stuff works in punch, juice, soda, or even water! All I can say is for people to watch out for this stuff, because it's supposed to be all over the country now!

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited July 16, 2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea it's technical term is GHB and it's a liquid, in this months YM they have a story about it. There were three girls, Sam, Melanie, and Jessica and they were hanging out with some boyz and the boyz (boys that they KNEW and had hung out iwth a lot) put GHB in their drinks. It's oderless and usually tasteless. Basically Sam died, and Melanie had enough GHB in her system that was TWICE the amount that would kill a person. Jessica just sipped her drink so she was fine.

Britt

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We published the SIECUS report on date rape drugs last month, here: Date Rape Drugs.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited July 16, 2000).]

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that this subject would bring up a big controversy among teenagers of the 90's/new millenium.

I can't believe that some guy would be so desperate and so insane that they would go and put this into some girls drink... They should go out and find someone for them... Not try to abuse and use them. Isn't that a federal crime??

And I am sure its not just guys slipping stuff into girls drinks. I am sure there is some girl out there who loves to take advantage of guys and slip the stuff into their drinks. Have there been anymore stories on this drug??

How do people get their hands on stuff like this??? It must be really easy to get ahold of if its all over the country by now!!

------------------
****If you reach for the moon and miss, you'll be among the stars****

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed criminal, but the trouble is tracking the person who did it down, which in group settings, is almost impossible.

As we mentioned in the artyicle, the safe bet is simply to hold unto your own drink at a party, and not let someone else mix or pour it for you, even if it's soda.

I don't know that it's quite what I'd term something REALLY widespread, but it is happening. It is mostly male, however, as far as studies can tell. Most (not all) rape situations are.

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any idea to who could have invented the date rape drug?

How could anyone be this cruel?

What is everyone else's opinion on this?

------------------
****If you reach for the moon and miss, you'll be among the stars****

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rufie" is one of the street names for a drug called Rohypnol. It was NOT invented as a date-rape drug, but as a surgical anesthetic or sleeping pill, which some awful people have been illegally importing into the U.S. and using to committ rape.

"Roofie is dropped into drinks at bars and parties, leaving roofie recipients open to suggestion, physically weak, and perhaps most troubling of all, without memory of events that transpire after the drug takes effect." (http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0884.html)

It's actually only one of a variety of drugs that have similar effects, and the solution, like Miz Scarlett said, is to hang on to your drink at all times. Then again, in the college town where I live we're always hearing stories of women who get date raped just because they got too drunk to know what was happening, and the creeps that raped them didn't need any drugs but alcohol.

Thanks to Go Ask Alice! (http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu) for the info.

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited July 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited July 17, 2000).]

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This rufies stuff is around more than you think! Especially at raves where a lot of kids are strung out on Extacy to begin with!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misty
Neophyte
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont really think one person perse invented it. In a school program they had police officers come in who told us EXACTUALLY how to make GHB and in all reality it is quite simple. I'm thinking maybe some people go a little to far on education, if someone decided they wanted to get lucky then they would already know how to make it..seems a bit odd doesnt it?
Posts: 18 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

It just bothers me how guys (or girls) would use that crap just to get someone into bed! It is so easy to find people to have sex with nowadays, why would they bother to even do something as sick as that?
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Thats exactly what I was saying! Its totally cruel. And what if the girl or guy who got drugged, rememberd who did it? Then the other person would be in SOOOO much trouble!! I hope they catch all of those dumbasses!! :-)
Heather
Member # 3

Many people often manipulate someone or lie to them. Get others drunk, or rape by force. People -- unfortunately -- through the ages have often done terrible things to get what they wanted and feel in control, with little care or thought to the consequences. It's awful, but it happens all too much, and always has on some level.

However, as with any rape scenario, do realize that it isn't usually about sex at all. It's about power. For someone who rapes, if it is easy, Hot, it isn't what they are looking for at all.

Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped up, because you can never be too careful!
Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Date Rape Drugs: A Special Report

The article moved.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.