Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » anaemia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anaemia
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey
does anyone have any idea of the symptoms of anaemia?
someone just recently told me that one is being tired all the time, which i am serously feeling at the moment ... also i have very heavy, frequent periods [going on the pill soon to sort that out], am a vegetarian [so possible iron deficiency] and only occasionally remember to take iron supplements.
does anyone have any experience/views on this topic? it'd be much appreciated.

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing you mean anemia, a disease where you have an abnormally low amount of red blood cells in your circulatory system.

From

From WebMD]WebMD

Even those with mild anemia can experience some weakness and fatigue. Moderate to severe anemia can also cause shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, lightheadedness, headache, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), irritability, pale skin, restless leg syndrome, and mental confusion. Anemia may occur without symptoms, however, and be detected only during a medical examination that includes a blood test.

There are a number of different types of anemia: Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia, Hemolytic Anemia (which is acquired or inherited), Sideroblastic Anemias, and Sickle Cell Anemia.

The symptoms you listed sound similar to those of anemia. Anemia could lead to a very serious disease so please please please go get this checked out right away. Good luck

Deanna

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to remember that if you think you are anemic, you really need to see a doctor and have it diagnosed by them as opposed to just treating yourself. It's quite possible to take too much iron, especially if you're taking suppliments, which can potentially be harmful. So truly, it's a bad idea to diagnose yourself, go see your doctor and express your concerns and your suspicion about it to them and let them decide and then prescribe the best treatment regimine for you.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In any case, thank you so very much, insatiable. I've been having very clammy hands lately, along with a restless leg and numbness, rapid heartbeat, and breathing troubles, which are symptoms for anemia.

By posting this topic, you basically asked for help searching for information on anemia. I now have a doctor's appointment this week to get checked out for it. Thank you so much.

------------------
c/o 2005!

"We all walk in the dark and each of us must learn how to turn on his or her own light"

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a silly little note...

My sister is a vegetarian who doesn't eat too well [she's working on that] and after being sick, tired and sleepy all the time she was diagnosed with anemia.

She now drinks liquid iron [as prescribed] and gets a full 8 hours of sleep a night.

The kinda funny part is that her biggest warning sign was that she kept falling asleep in random places. She fell asleep on for 4 hours in the middle of mowing the lawn, in the shower and on the john at school for a half an hour. She laughed about it later.

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the other hand, not all vegetarians are anemic. (contrary to popular belief).

my mother insisted for years that i must be anemic (i've been vegetarian for 7 years), since i was always cold and often tired (big surprise, getting no more than 6 hours of sleep a night in adolesence), and didn't take iron supplements.
so, when i was at the doctor, she insisted that i get my blood tested. so i did. two weeks later the results came back. i was fine, no anemia, although it wouldn't have hurt me to take some extra iron,i wasn't deficient. within a week, my mother was convinced again that i must be anemic. i think its a way for people to try to convince us that we need to eat meat, to try to scare us about anemia. it *is* possible to get enough iron, even as a vegan.

-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 7 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
made an appointment to see doctor ... better safe than sorry !

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.